1/72 Airfix C-47D Dakota Aeronavale

Inspired by the recent GB Douglas Dakota group build I eventually decided to  throw something together for a change and chose this rather bright Dak of the French Navy.They were operated by 56 Squadron from Nimes.I recall seeing their aircraft at Luton and Jersey.

Its the Airfix "new tool" kit with some minor modifications.The hatch over the flight deck was added from plasticard and a trim tab scribed on the starboard aileron.The original astrodome cut out was filled and a new opening made further down the fuselage.The aircraft's main role was training Navigators hence the bubbles location over the main cabin.The Exhausts were also opened out.

Aftermarket resin wheels from quickboost were used as I feel the weight on tyres effect has been overdone in the kit.A pannier was added under the nose,unfortunately their is scant reference material regarding the item but I believe it houses ariels.Numerous ariels were made from plasticard of came from the spares box.

The decals are Xtradecal sheet 72-207.I wanted a different serial to that supplied(One of the aircraft I had seen) so bought a set of numerals by tech mod which proved impossible to use,by me at least, even after a coating of Klear.Fantasy print shop came to the rescue with  a very user friendly set of decals.

The kit requires a certain amount of fettling to go together mainly around the spar centre wing area and the Cockpit side windows are best installed prior to closing the fuselage.Talking of transparencies I used a Pmask set for masking which were excellent.

The kit was finished with a mix of Tamiya and Humbrol acrylic rattle cans.The original aircraft were a painted silver which is much easier to replicate than bare metal.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by jyguy
typo,Punctuation.
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all very much for the kind comments.

I am now considering building a Camouflage and dayglo Luftwaffe example from the same decal sheet that provided the markings for this One.

• Like 1

Their is a lot of excellent reference material on the Luftwaffe C-47D/C-53 in a soft cover publication called F-40,Flugzeuge der Bundeswehr by Hanfried Schlephake.It was published back in 1987 but it is well worth sourcing a copy as it includes plan drawings. of the camouflage scheme.