F-104G (not...) Starfighter

English Electric

OK, so slightly longer in the gestation, but here at last.

So, having finally had a quick look at this, it's an interesting bird. Lots of flash on the mouldings and a very different calibre of plastic to Frog's - this is brittle and I don't think it'll prove to be fun to work with at all! 

To recap, this is apparently an F-104J mould, first produced in 1963 by Hasegawa. The kit and decals were supplied by them to Frog - these are also most definitely Frog decals - but the instructions and boxes were produced in the UK.

It's a very simple kit, and frustratingly there doesn't seem to be any provision to make it wheels up. I might try anyway, as there is little to no interior to speak of, and there will be a lot of blank spaces otherwise.

Pieces came in a plastic bag, so forgive the lack of sprue shots - there aren't any! Will get started when I get my airbrush back and can continue...

2019-08-18_07-38-12

2019-08-18_07-39-15

2019-08-18_07-38-29

2019-08-18_07-38-42

Note the second set of decals? Not Frog - Airfix maybe?

I'm running with the F-104G Luftwaffe version by the way, although Frog does give you a good choice of subjects, but - as ever - no colour call outs...

Chris

• Like 8

Hi Chris,

Certainly looks like the Airfix decs I remember from my build, which started off Canadian and then became German 20 years later.

Those Frog decals almost look as good as an after market sheet for its day, lots of choices on offer which would entice people to want to build more than one subject. I would imagine there would have been quite a few European modellers happy when this kit hit the market back in 1969. Looking forward to this one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi EE

Have you made a start on this one? Perhaps you've finished it and are too modest to tell us !

Cheers Pat 

I haven't - I got as far as test fitting the halves, laughing manically and putting it back down again.

I need to get the P-39 finished but rather embarrassingly can't work out how to get the masking fluid off the canopy. I'm terrified of knackering it up, especially as it looks rather good now... help!

Once that's all done, I'll have a stab at this - why not?

C

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...