Spitfire Mk.Vb 3 camo job in 1/72

Tigerman60

Hello All,

I'm building the KP 1/72 scale Mk.Vb. This will be my first airbrush job. Hmmmm, not the first job, but the first one with 3 camo colors. I will use Tamiya paint for this job and I presume to start with the lighter color (MSG).

Then Ocean Grey and at last Dark green. How to spray the last color? Free handed or with masks? And what kind of mask? Paper, Maskol by Humbrol?

Need soem help with this job.

Han

Vroomshoop NL

I use masks when airbrushing 1/72 aircrafts and use Tamiya tape in sheets to avoid peeling underlying paint up when removing the masks.

Dunno about your specific subject, but I paint everything except markings: Camouflage, sky band and yellow wing stripe 

HTH Finn

If you have 1/72 scale camouflage plans, you can cut these out to use as masks. Alternatively, if you have blutack or similar, you can trace out the outline and infill with Tamiya Tape or PVA glue.

Trevor 

54 minutes ago, Tigerman60 said:

Thank You all for the kind help.

Trevor,

I have some kind of Dutch Variant of blu-tack. I will try this method.

Thank You all.

Han

Oh I forgot: Use an old discarded model as a paint mule to try out everything before you attempt the valuable model.

There are lots and lots of pitfalls: Paint thinning, paint creeping under masks, how to build up an opaque layer of paint (more than one coat) etc.

Lots of fun stuff before you get to the Spit.

Remember: Good judgement comes with experience... Experience comes from bad judgement.

/Finn

Edited by FinnAndersen

If you mask then as much as possible avoid spraying towards a mask edge, rather spray down and away from the edge. This avoids a paint ‘edge’ building up along the mask edges and also reduces the likelihood of paint creeping under the mask edge