1985 - Hasegawa Ferrari 328 GTB in 1/24

This GB is offering up a number of firsts for me;

• First GB
  • First Ferrari Model
  • First Hasegawa kit
  • First kit that has anything to do with the year i was born
  • First time flocking anything
  • First red model on display

So as per the title i will be building the Hasegawa 1:24 Ferrari 328 GTB.  It will likely be built OOB, with maybe a couple extra details if i think i needs them, but for simplicity and any hope of being finished on time, not much extra.  I will be finishing it in the classic red, with a beige interior, which will be geting some flocking.

I will of course post up a build log with a few photos, and i will link to the google photos album where more photos will be housed.

Link to all photos in Google Album

I look foward to any comments / advice along the way and wish the rest of you luck in this GB.

Terry

Edited by Cooper645
added public gallery link
  • Like 4

Welcome aboard Cooper and apologies for the late acknowledgement. Good to see you’re taking your first dip into GB modelling here. It’s always a lot of fun, but do remember that time can and will get away from you at times. A nice and steady progress rate is helpful and fingers crossed in the end you’ll end up with a completed model that meets your satisfaction. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

13 hours ago, whiskey said:

That's a lot of firsts lol.

Indeed it is, but up and over we go.

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Welcome aboard Cooper and apologies for the late acknowledgement. Good to see you’re taking your first dip into GB modelling here. It’s always a lot of fun, but do remember that time can and will get away from you at times. A nice and steady progress rate is helpful and fingers crossed in the end you’ll end up with a completed model that meets your satisfaction. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

I have a couple of weeks off work at the moment so hoping to make a great start whilst I have time on my side.

So to start off with:

Cover art

yDvRK2MwXq7PVM5ZY-y376hiVeS2jiX4Xlu7_c63

The instructions with the 328 blurb

7jxvGpyj4bjBtzo9VEqKb_olj5XLB3SAruHoVDVX

Impressed with the level of packaging

IcJmwdBeyFKZCC0OHW4lULmwQ-rQT40QJ6GM0Ip5

Made a start on the engine block which for some reason comes completely unassembled, some trial and error test fitting to check how it went together was required

FQ413oj6qhOgtGpcdrX-Sw2rnQfsaklZ1Ik5_I14

Some filler required front and back to fill back of gaps in front and rear of the car where the pieces fit.

mX6_2ncSvD_xgmXdDvhBLGbDZZIujnamfb05WGkU

kXvOuxCaEb0aSCkf1R9WJRQTaRXFXw3Q7Zmgw06N

and the front

k_t7L72B43v0_B_RL20qcawPE7DdjujZgXWPfyRh

u5Y_sAt5pSBuSO6_n2x0-ugy793dM8MC30DHM2rp

here are the first lot of parts awaiting primer

6U3SJ6Lfdg80iMTdLXSXWSEN3C1SJ9_HiXCMw4OP

and now in full primer glory

TrQ4Zv2tUj7gcg9Q6dE-wxLTM1YjSjbUbRI2c4-V

And with the Silver, gold, red and steel applied

X8BnwSbLtHrO7RmNZC0J6S8fOYhfm9XFJ4U1EefD

And here with have the next lot of parts pre primer and some of the exhaust parts in the jar of bleach at the back of the photo being de-chromed

_JZSWqz4v8xpd3gI9aQnEIoheJAOys6GBwFLDKw7

The chassis has also now been primed and sprayed in Matt black and the exhaust parts are nestled amongst the other painted parts. All being left to dry and harden

eh7fjE8hNUIih3XAZSdynqLZ2rj18ZW8vOMPefQt

The interior of the tub has been primed and had the necessary elements painted black also.  The interior will be flocked as stated in post #1 in a beige with tan leather for the seats.

7WNpKHo3r2hTXND1k5squoGfPcPlAB9dgemziuXJ

Thanks for looking and I hope to get back out the shed tonight to prep the next lot of parts for the steering and suspension.

Terry

• Like 8

OK, another morning spent in the shed.  The weather outside is foul anyhow so nothing else I could be doing with my time. 

I never managed to get back out the shed last night so have ended up a bit behind where I intended to be at, but not to worry, still plenty of time.

The Engine components ready to go

kGRcBYW7VJ2LBn_aPViRQABXSUwNtVFlVFTTtMlz

All seem to go together with no big issues

OL1K6_sNKgacy0VhEXRSOZv-mgl5x-UWgeD3BAfV

Suspension parts for the rear removed from sprue - Once again the chromed parts took a little bleach bath.

XTNj3gThnETsm7Wct9TtT_RED2l_Z3fNJZGojgcl

Suspension, hubs and brakes in place - These were fairly fiddly but I got there in the end

8d5bIfO_tYB5OWL0n0NY39weQD1ANcbQx-Ikrsbu

Some panel wash applied to bring details out

xcnmkaSY6YdJtm3muoXkA1KOrSLfiYCk96OrUk1d

Rear view

A7jWHzJRU6QZVgmrA3JIyXqnzYU3Y2C8BLjixLiI

And finally all the smaller details picked out on top

kmGi9Jtn9QlMzWjEX_BVlDDoKk5kFRNvi6UEDRPr

Thanks for stopping by to look.  Next steps will likely be the front steering and suspension setup, followed by the wheels or interior.

not sure whether or not I will be able to achieve the extra bit of work, but here's a clue as to what it is:

n6_G0JNctg29XQav5HMCK7gvlBkH1-OKPHEzk00W

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Great photos and progress Cooper. This is looking so good and I just love it how you car modellers make engine fiddly bits look so convincing.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Another decent amount of time allocated to the shed today means I have progress to update you with.

Suspension Parts

ZqI3M9a_uq7v0it-QuE7BQuV1S9ZeFy0ntZMtEsM

The eagle eyed amongst the crowd may notice the recent postal delivery in the background, George will be the subject to represent Thomas Magnum, the attire is quite close and there may be a little fettling necessary for the moustache and hair, but otherwise pretty much bob on.

Chaos

It was about this time I decided I could no longer work effectively in the chaos (creative space) and a tidy up was called for.

yyqT7-7Y-GM-FbABse5718QS8irZIvi86lbyGWYL

Thankfully the above image is now a clear workspace allowing me to get on with the build.

Close ups of suspension and brakes

Close ups are seriously harsh on the subject. 

q_FPiYWTwcbclqQCMqof_rVSzMozXzovhd7OTUO2

NQFe-KDPvSRJFV3AL3UW01NKDICS5y5cPU8mm1BP

Thankfully the assembly as a whole is a lot more convincing

ivh3GKRL0fafDF_C6hAI7tajB27vpg0Wv7LPk9YW

Fitted

mKF3Kx0N5UnKHeBAntCURPS4o9ArQjpIiLalTXMV

Improvement required

The kit is fine but I had to add some extra bracing as the front suspension and steering is only glued in along the bottom edge which I don't feel is substantial enough.

Pic below depicts the sprue brace fitted between the two.  This will be completely unseen when built

qyUN10X6oeAuPAXY2wzXl08zl6VwcZEAWB_hmg-3

The wheels with primer and a coat of paint

Still a fair way to go before they're acceptable to fit.

GdKBZECrLc0HR0ezyk78oDm3Y1WOcGrw9m8bP135

Next lot of part removed from sprue

The next batch of parts should see the rolling chassis and engine completed, and the interior well underway.

haJnyx9LqWOxVX2VL5ZgBpE75YNGAD6YRjn6XL1O

As always, thanks for taking the time to look, feel free to comment, like and laugh as you see fit.

Terry

Edited by Cooper645
word change
  • Like 9

Great update Terry and I do love the Magnum inclusion to this 1985 build. I’m sure I can loan you some dark chest hair should you really want to obtain that truly accurate look! I’m also really surprised they still sell these types of figure kits in this sanitised world we live in.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Ok, it's been a while, as ever life has a tendency to get in the way, but fear not, I found some time to get in the shed.

The interior had a coat of colour applied and some of the centre console details picked out.

0PS-08WxOyJfXl-utZkie5nrISIslx3c05Ah48rz

Door cards  -  These also had the same detail as the interior base

D2BxrDUXiBaoWKditIfKWf06TRjC9B8TpU0b85fq

Seats - I toyed with the idea of cutting the headrests off and adding some wire to detail the seats a bit more.  Problem was, I toyed with the idea after painting them, so they have remained OOB

0o2tST6QGi5xQo22n79dZaB2NQ4_prMtHJdrETcY

Lower Dash - Due to the era, a fairly basic dashboard that has no real details to have to pick out, a nice change from some newer style dashes

SYYi_ikWswCpCfdHFsiSnXFARauH-UYskB6vCKCV

Wheels - The wheels were protected and received a wash, and simply need decals and rubber to finish them off

sK_PGWev_LUsEA46dny3_5SEa04toi6ACvn_iVFD

Some of the engine bay pieces detailed

R6Oy3SU3D_UC9Meue0_6sJTOzrHe5bdESvzNMkKf

sMOWg5Il-gKs-S_R7FpfTNnWHW0hpJFSAwS8v12c

Due to the design the front corner needed some work after trying to fit the wheels to the hub - A hole was required with a piece of rod due to the weak plastic design, this was only a problem on the one corner

B3PxzJ0Q6i6fvZ6hYoKfrqgC4iLL7cnHG-Vq5iDF

Interior Flocking

sqxjCo75SaLYvxKgv30uY2dDSCj3YYzwiThguJvZ

Dash - interestingly the clear parts fit at the rear of the dash, with the decals applied behind the clear.  The concept works incredibly well I think

dfyGU_UO6t41dy9Ja6aVBGNPA-IRpiiThnKkxNIF

Interior coming together

EFqDp9STapsnbQk2FdP8dhjacCTw_1hKu5UpwKeG

n3xj05Z--lYgQDbtRXGiYKh1xahqDXz9YkKSnPYd

Rolling chassis achieved

WQGZ2Xa2Uq7QWMSKONtvtiYm-hU3cpWjCbd4g3sJ

Body work

The body work also received a 2500 grit under the tap, followed by another coat of primer and another rub down ready for painting.  The remaining pieces were also removed from the sprue and prepped for paint and painted

tAfe2rWcVKkLyflO6Du6E1sYFAECnH_XmMOTv6uz

70pr1rrJGXogUBYKNmAboS3gAThyhTmusAn2FXbX

zB-gJH8RgHdZrn42UU9SA8t6l5ybRt7VGPqTA4Ap

The rear antenna had a piece of sprue stretched to display it in the upright position and the engine lid has had the support struts fitted ready to display it open. 

I'm quite pleased with the effect of the flocking and its definitely something I will continue with adding to future models.  All that remains now is the body colour to harden off and get a rub down before lacquer and final assembly.  

During the time it's going to take, I will also have Thomas Magnum to get on with and keep me busy.  I will keep this thread updated with the continued progress but hope to be ready to photograph ready for the completed section soon.

Thanks for looking,

Terry

• Like 8

That really is a fantastic update Terry. This is coming along both quickly and beautifully. I’m really enjoying following all the builds in this GB as you always learn new modelling techniques from the many different types of kits being assembled. 

Cheers.. Dave

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Really nice work Terry, I like the deep piled carpets. Looking at the size of the hammer in the background, you must be expecting some serious fit issues. :winkgrin:

Being from Birmingham, we call that particular implement a screwdriver....

• Like 1

Just a small update, we were on the final hurdle and had a fall so to speak.  The body will now be getting oaked in some dettol and the painting process started over 😒

Update: 6 hours in bleach seems to have taken back the lacquer to a point where I think I can simply sand, mask and respray the two problem areas. I will keep you all posted. The rest of the paint jobs looks great.

Edited by Cooper645
Update on situation
  • Sad 3

Sad to hear you’ve had a mishap Cooper although it also sounds like your on your way to recovery. Someone once told me that in the this hobby it’s all how you recover that matters - wise words. I fail to build a kit that doesn’t require a recovery session or two, so try to keep a cool head and think the problem through until you but it out. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem in making mistakes, it is often the very best way to learn. I learn something new with every model I complete.  This also slows me down as I put off the nicer kits in the stash thinking I still need more models under the belt to make a great job of them. 

• Like 1

Ok,

So last time I updated it was to say some remedial work was required.  This has now been carried out and a few more steps undertaken.

Here are a couple of shots of the issues I had to deal with,

Dirty thumb print

P3ktzkXkXQ1N5iZ3jCMSYzUfQi632-7j6dbkZBVV

Some paint dust - started to sand it out by this point

R_iIdKyvcZqtys0J1xdSuVVIJX8Hy5a_nOF2UNKl

Issues addressed

decided to mask off and spray the black line around the body rather than use the supplied decals.  The main reason for doing this was the decals have a fair amount of excess carrier film around them and I thought I would get a better result from spraying them.

The rear quarter windows also got some paint and were installed.  At first glance the size was way off but upon closer inspection the tops fit up inside the body and the bottoms then press in.  They were glued in place with some BSI Gold Super Glue.

The window surrounds were brush painted with vellum black straight out of the pot.

DAeETZCBq3wT8QgVLsbRhTNwBtEYxuydbG7_Lfxt

Rear lights & front end

I used the Molotow chrome pen for the front & rear lights and also as a base for the side repeaters. The supplied PE front grille was rather fiddly but managed to get it in place with no major problems.  Still need to add the prancing horse to it, but that will get done on ht final build up.

yZ0u6qBFEkOJfoJ8WYiP_3YfKwOqCVp4yJ_L9Tsk

Ac4CHkY9DLjE-h-QuBMjH-nhQl2jowgesFzCjepY

Engine cover, ancils and winscreen

-kzPN6d_suDV45WHWXvnl5Wdd16gFBNDI4wiANXF

I should be ready for the final build up tomorrow, which will just leave Thomas Magnum on the to do list.  After that I'll have to did out the decent camera and get some photos sorted for the gallery.  Not sure if I'll update this build log with Thomas Magnum, I may just sort him offline and unveil him in the Gallery area.

Thanks for looking as always, and as ever I welcome any and all comments.

• Like 3

That’s some finish you are obtaining with this build Cooper, hats off to all you auto modellers who can achieve perfect finishes, well done. I must get myself one of those Molotow pens, they look to be a great weapon to have as part of one’s model tool arsenal. Quite a fitting update as well seeing Ferrari have just won their first GP for this year... well done a young Mr. Leclerc’ .

Cheers.. Dave 

@Rabbit Leader this is by no means a perfect finish but it is one I am happy with.  The Molotov pen is good, just remember to shake it lots, I have also seen people achieve good results with it through an airbrush. 

I have completed the assembly, and in true form, the decal sun visor is coming unstuck.  Obviously this was installed on the inside making access problematic, especially when you consider the body had to be glued to the chassis.  Im sure I can find some ingenious way to get in there and get it stuck back down, but for now, I am happy. 

Here is a shot of the mating process

i0WNfxyQCT5fpYDpHrpHPEBYYET6NPcDpYO5Jt_x

And now the part everyone has been long awaiting, the final completed build.  As I stated earlier, I will upload a gallery post when Thomas is done, but for now here's a couple of shots.

Please enjoy and I welcome all comments.

04Nky_SGVu5wQAkttauFUdYGv_ZmMc02wwuQGEPF

p-mJyJC3HuqvXl41rJUzr0r9rtbbqGNoSdcqy2Di

ieiiB2c1PvENfvj6OXV9vchEvSeM2Yez7loAWKVK

VkcONJXY512hj0KPPjBlEcs8AQC6U7zJevNPnprx

NWpzmitM3XbIwlwX-_qXLWrgaQOIzZ_2GifJvxOG

akGXH6bnOS710HcJFC2I70QXSB8anooCAMwWgwau

I8vCqu9Xb5ztZQ5FEQLtZZEFGrxHjScZM7c6ni-F

aoVp0pq482eXcWO0l5Y50e-wmB7QtU7jo_gUlVAF

• Like 4