HMS Venturer - 1/350 scale resin submarine

Another new resin sub kit from ebay seller subsmodels..... I must commend the service of this seller - the kit was ordered on 27 July, posted on 2 August and delivered today, 12 August - excellent service.... :worthy:

It is advertised as a U-Class Group III - which, according to my limited research were labelled as the V-Class.

Cast in chocolate coloured resin, it is quite well detailed, but has a slight seam line down the hull where the rubber mould has been split - nothing that can't be fixed with a smear of filler...

spacer.png

Port side.....

spacer.png

The rest of the resin castings.........

spacer.png

Conning tower and periscopes, rudder and diving planes, prop shafts and propellers, deck gun and (I think?) a radio mast.

There are no instructions or decals and painting guides and it isn't as cleanly moulded as some other resin kits, but it should clean up into a reasonable model.

As I already have a model of a U-Class boat (HMS Upholder) in my collection, I am going to make it as HMS Venturer

She gained fame when she sank U-864 - the first time in the history of naval warfare that one submarine intentionally sank another while both were submerged.

Ken

• Like 5

Another interesting subject Ken.

Having taken recent delivery of just released 'British Submarines in Two World Wars', it'll be interesting to read what the differences were between the U and the V Classes.

Do you know if he has a website? Just wondering what others he may have or plan to do?

Stuart 

Edited by Courageous

Hi Stuart........

I have also just received the "British Submarines......" book - and I'm wading my way through it.

From what I read (in other references) the V-Class were the last 21 boats in Group III of the U-Class (the first two of which were Upshot and Urtica, the rest had names beginning with V).

They were lengthened, had welded hulls and refined bows.

I don't know if the ebay seller has a website - but the models look like those from Polar Bear Models - and they have a website at:-

https://rusubs.wixsite.com/subs-n-ships

.... but they don't show the British subs - although the website is still 'Under Construction' - and it has a contact email.

If you do manage to get any answers, please let us know.....

Ken

• Like 1

A first coat of Halford's Grey Plastic Primer..........

spacer.png

.... highlights the excellent surface detail......

spacer.png

.... but it also reveals that seam along the hull......

spacer.png

The upper straight line is the waterline, the moulding seam is below it.... It won't take much to eliminate it.

spacer.png

Never zoom in - it shows too much.... :analintruder:

spacer.png

I'm not sure if it's a moulding flaw - or if it is meant to be there?? Is it a door?

Opinions anyone?

Whatever it is, it needs tidying up - as does the inside face of the conning tower.....

Ken

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Never zoom in - it shows too much...

Gidday Ken, like yours my camera takes very good close-ups, and displays my shoddy workmanship in great detail for all to see. The sub is looking a little more authentic now, colour wise. Regards, Jeff.

As you say Ken, nice detail, pity about that mould line but easily sorted.

15 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Opinions anyone?

What does the new book show you? Could it be to allow the radio mast to lay horizontal, just an idea as some subs did have that?

Stuart

Well spotted Stuart..... :thumbsup:

There is a good photo on page 253 showing the mast stowed - it angles down at about 30deg - from the conning tower onto the deck at the rear.

It is shown raised on page 252 - and the drawings on pages 246 to 249 show it (number 60 - but you'll need a magnifying glass to read it!).

There's another good drawing in the set between pages 256 and 257 showing the mast raised and stowed.

It is present on the E.V.A. resin kit of HMS Upholder ..........

spacer.png

- although when I built Upholder, I didn't know what it was.

What do you think of the drawings in the new Seaforth book ?? - they are good - but rendered useless by being printed across the spine - the detail in the middle is completly lost!

Ken

• Like 2

I tend to agree with your view on the drawings across the spine. I was looking particularly at the 'sail' and if/ how the various masts were raised/ lowered and the spine...didn't help matters. Great reference book though.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, Flankerman said:

Polar Bear Models

I got a response back from Boris of Polar Bear:

In a while I have 1/350 U Class (II and III) and Oberon Class subs only. If you advice me what kind of subs you would like to have, I will build them by order. The main problem is good plans of subs unfortunately.

Reading that above, I think 'in a while' might mean currently, as you've built the Oberon and currently doing U (III) Class/ V Class. I could mean that a U (II) Class is available? As for the 'building to order' and 'plans', I'm not sure.

Stuart

A couple of sessions of filling and sanding (the resin is very hard and 'gritty')..........

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stuart, both U-Class subs are currently available....... but it appears that Oberon is now missing - maybe sold out?

I suspect that they just do a few at a time - so 'to-order' means them just casting a new batch.

As for 'plans' - it's the same old problem - they need detailed drawings - particularly with cross-sections.......

Ken

• Like 2