1/48 Special Hobby Fairy Firefly Mk 1

Finally got around to writing this up.

This particular aircraft was operated by 1771 Squadron Fleet Air Arm (FAA) from HMS Implacable in 1944. It was lost during an attack on the Rorvik port in Norway on the 26 October 1944. The pilot Sub Lt R.M Shaw (RNZN) and his observer Sub Lt G.M. Smith were killed during the attack.

Full details with more photos at my blog but here's a couple of photos

Firefly-Mk-1-15.jpg

Firefly-Mk-1-37.jpg

Firefly-Mk-1-36.jpg

Firefly-Mk-1-24.jpg

Firefly-Mk-1-33.jpg

Firefly-Mk-1-27.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 73
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know why, but from the first time I ever saw this plane I really loved its look. Not quite sure what it is, but I just think it’s a cool looking plane. 

You’ve done a fantastic job on this kit! The finish is awesome, and the weathering/wear looks very nice. What technique did you use to break up the monotony of the paint colors?

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Nice Firefly, well done, great finish.  

If you like TSS - you could build the Hellcats, Corsairs, Seafires and Barracudas that were also involved with the RN strikes in 1944...   #justasuggestion 👍

• Like 1

Thats a cracker, really liking it :thumbsup:

As an aside and not related to your modelling and I realise that it could be camera distortion but have SH fallen into the same problem as Grand Phoenix did, with regard to the propeller hub shape?

Looks fine in images 2 and 3 but the rest seem to show a slightly bulbus outline!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 4:15 PM, Grey Beema said:

Nice Firefly, well done, great finish.  

If you like TSS - you could build the Hellcats, Corsairs, Seafires and Barracudas that were also involved with the RN strikes in 1944...   #justasuggestion 👍

The Barracuda is definitely one I'd like to build at some stage. I''ve built a Hellcat and 2 Corsairs but not in TSS  -  yet.