Hasegawa 1/72 QF-4E Phantom II USAF Farewell

CasualModel98

This is the latest mold from Hasegawa with new parts. Subsequent rebox are with new decals but same kit.

Hasegawa 1/72 QF-4E Phantom II USAF Farewell #02238.

Pros - correct shape and kit for the 1/72 F-4E to G variants as Hasegawa Phantoms has to to be known. Good decals.

Cons - poor fit surprisingly despite this being the latest mold and from a well known brand. Maybe its 1/72 and Hasegawa is looking to milk it for what its worth.

This means there is an open market for someone to come along and provide a better fitting 1/72 F-4E to G variant. 

spacer.png

Edited by CasualModel98
minor
  • Like 1

Started with the cockpit. This is the cockpit OOB. Had to cut the decal into several pieces to fit the instrument panel.

spacer.png

Decided to embellish the seats with some homemade seat belts. All OOB and scratch build and no PE sets were used.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by CasualModel98
Add picture.
  • Like 3

Added weight to the nose, note the poor fit of the undernose cannon to the nose. One of many poor fit.

spacer.png                                                                                                    

The fit of the bulge behind the cockpit was poorly molded and bad fitting.

spacer.png

So was this hatch here that was poorly molded and does not fit the service area neatly leaving a gap as can be seen.

spacer.png

The intake does not fit the rest of the body well needing a lot of sanding and rescribing to make it flush.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Poor molding of the tail parts. It seems the Hasegawa designed did a rush job.

spacer.png

Seems like they just cut two rectangular holes to fit the nozzle. Not much thought went into the design to male it flush.

spacer.png

Big gap in the engine nozzles to the fuselage. I wonder what Hasegawa engineers were thinking. Again looks like a rushed design with little to no attention to fit anf flush detail.

spacer.png

Or maybe its my lack of skill to finesse all these coarse fittings into a nicely shaped plane.

Other bad fitting areas are the centerline fuel tank, the two little front air intake just above the main gun was just two rectangular plastic pieces despite the part being curved.  

Edited by CasualModel98
Add sentence.
  • Like 2

F-4s DO NOT require nose weight!  They sit on their gear just nice like they are supposed to without any extra weight, just like F-18s and F-104s.

Later,

Dave

7 minutes ago, e8n2 said:

F-4s DO NOT require nose weight!  They sit on their gear just nice like they are supposed to without any extra weight, just like F-18s and F-104s.

Later,

Dave

Yeah I know, but out of habit I added weight. So I brought this on myself.

17 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work, lovely result and now also I know what I will have to deal with when I build mine

:thumbsup:

I really wish someone will come up with a better F-4E/F/G in 1/72 scale. I love the shape of the long nose Phantoms. Unfortunately most kits available from other brands are in the B/C/D short nosed variant.