Hellcat Yellow Cowl Band

Crane

Hi, I am trying to find out more about the rare? Hellcats I have found with a yellow band around the front of the cowling, right behind the prop.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Assuming you're referring to USN aircraft, I believe you're referring to VF-84 aircraft aboard BUNKER HILL, which would have made it an F6F-5N or 5P. According to F6F Hellcat, Aircraft Monograph 20, AJ Press. A photo on pg 203 showing an F6F-5P has the following caption, "An F6F-5P from the VF-84 on the USS Bunker Hill, 19 February 1945. At the time quick recognition markings of the carrier's aircraft were complemented by a washable yellow band around forward engine cowling. The letter 'P' on the fin below the number identified reconnaissance Hellcats." Having dutifully copied that text, the only primary evidence I have seen are B&W photos. To my eye, the nose band color is indistinguishable from the known white unit and national markings. I will note many illustrations and models show white, lemon yellow, and orange yellow nose bands. To be sure though, B&W photos I've seen of VF-84's F4Us do suggest the nose band isn't white.

FWIW, VF 27's famous eyes and fangs only survived while on PRINCETON because her captain "turned a blind eye to the non-regulation painting of cats' eyes and fangs dripping blood." [Cleaver, Pacific Thunder, pg 226]. The nose art was covered up when the 7 surviving aircraft landed on ESSEX and were amalgamated into VF 15 after PRINCETON was scuttled during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. [Pacific Thunder, pg 259]

HTH

-- 

dnl

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 2

Aircraft aboard USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) are said to have had yellow nose rings in 1945. This opinion seems pretty well established for Corsairs (VF-84 and VMF-221). It would be reasonable to assume that their nightfighter and reconnaissance Hellcats were also adorned with a yellow cowl ring. There is a good b/w photo in Warpaint Series No.84 p.32 showing an F6F-5P No. 135 with a bright nose ring applied in the same way as for the Corsairs (nose number masked before painting, resulting in a Sea Blue background). This colour when compared to the yellow prop tips and the white numbers could be either, but it's fair to assume it was yellow. Behind the nose band their is a small darker band  before the Sea Blue of the cowling begins. I guess this darker area is residue from masking before applying yellow, but it could be black as well.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 2