Novo Blackburn Skua

stevej60

Hi folk's,as explained in the Wildcat thread this is another cheapie and another kit that I had planned to enter since the start of the GB,I know

it's very basic but I reckon with a "modern" paint job she should look good and fit in with the rest of the collection,a bagged issue is on it's way

from KK at £6:99,decals might be an issue we'll see.

Novo F162 Skua

• Like 8

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,as explained in the Wildcat thread this is another cheapie and another kit that I had planned to enter since the start of the GB,I know

it's very basic but I reckon with a "modern" paint job she should look good and fit in with the rest of the collection,a bagged issue is on it's way

from KK at £6:99,decals might be an issue we'll see.

Novo F162 Skua

Hi Steve, if you need them I have the original Frog markings left over from my build, they seem in good condition, with just a hint of white around the roundel red on the large roundels. They have been exposed to daylight and any yellowing has gone. They are for the same aircraft represented with your Novo bagging. If you want them, pm me and I can post them to you.

I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, I enjoyed mine!

All the best,

Ray

Hi Folks,kits arrived and got an hour in tonight to clean up the main parts on this and the Wildcat,not a great deal will be seen even

though the canopy is quite large but I couldn't live with the sparse floor and two seats so added a bit detail from photos around the 

web.once painted should look OK,there were two large tanks either side of the fuselage between the pilot and observer I couldn't find

ant scrap spares to make them out of but will have a better look tomorrow.Scheme is very simple and I've read totally spurious I'll see

what I can do.

20190814_200437

• Like 7

Steve,

As I recall there is some debate about early Skua schemes. I doubt they had the brown/green scheme as on the box, but I read somewhere that it is possible some had a Sea Green/Grey scheme in Norway with odd roundels perhaps - I can't find the article in question. Later I guess EDSG/Slate was normal. Unders were perhaps Sky Grey initially, and later Sky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Delighted to see a Skua being built, wasn't it responsible for the first German aircraft being shot down by the British in WW2 ?

Yes, and:-

"Skua- The Royal Navy's Dive Bomber -Peter Smith"

The Blackburn Skua was notable for a Royal Navy aircraft for the large number of ‘firsts’ she notched up in such a short career:

• First –monoplane in Royal Naval service;
  • First –all-metal aircraft in Royal Naval service;
  • First –British aircraft to shoot down a Confirmed German aircraft in the Second World War;
  • First –aircraft in the world to sink a major warship by dive-bombing;
  • First –British aircraft to have a bomb-ejector fork for bomb to clear propeller in dive;
  • First –British aircraft with sleeve-valve engine;
  • First –British aircraft to feature Koffman starter gun for engine;
  • First –British aircraft to mount four Browning guns clear of prop. No CC gear;
  • First –British aircraft to feature two-speed propeller (two pitch positions);
  • First –and only aircraft to be fitted with anti-spin tail parachute;
  • First –British aircraft equipped with radio-homing beacon on new VHF;
  • First –British aircraft to have front gun reflector sight;
  • First –British aircraft fitted with oxygen bottles and supply lines.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

S.1.E Scheme.  Extra Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Grey / Sky Grey (similar to Barley Grey)..

Thanks for the photo GB,I think I have decals I could cobble up to match this one or similar.

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

I doubt they had the brown/green scheme as on the box

Agree Peter,plenty of profiles,no photo evidence.

Hi folk's well as opposed to the Wildcat this ones a dream,she's flown together without hassle did need a bit of filler as can be seen,need to

detail the cockpit next.

IMG-20190815-WA0003

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Very nice - quick building and a lovely bit of detail added. 

Just wondered how many completed kits you have stashed away, and where do you keep 'em all?

Thank's JM.a lot were culled recently as damaged or poorly done but I got a nice sized box to put the saved 1/72 scale kits in.

I'm lucky as now the family have moved on the loft room's mine,there's two shelves of about 30 1/48 builds and  about 20 armour

builds on a corner shelf trouble is since being banned from the new kitchen I have to model up there too and the dust is treble what

it used to be especially when spraying! That's my meagre stash but a fair bit is half built stuff and upcoming GB builds.

20190816_104312

• Like 9

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

since being banned from the new kitchen

That's the problem with new kitchens. Since we had our done I've not been able to mend carburettors on the worksurface :huh: (still wash them in the dishwasher though ^_^)

You're obviously more of a builder than a stasher, which is good. I have kits stashed in cupboards, boxes all round the house, in the loft... hard to keep track of them.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Johnson said:

You're obviously more of a builder than a stasher,

Definitely Charlie,the stash is double what I normally have a couple of 1/48 kits which have been neglected since switching back to 72

scale earlier this year,there,s three there for the floatplane GB,a Concorde which will never get done as well as Revell/Matchbox Victor

which will be built for any future Matchbox GB.

• Like 2

Any chance you can squeeze in a small glass cabinet up there Steve. I recognise quite a few recent GB builds in that cardboard box, however they really ought to be displayed and presented a tad safer than that. This Skua is looking the goods as well. You are certainly on a build roll there matey!  

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 4

On 15/08/2019 at 21:48, stevej60 said:

I didn't want to leave the undersides without representing the bomb recess and arrestor.

I read somewhere that Skuas employed as fighters had the bomb recess plated over. Others have got round the problem by sticking on half a bomb.

John.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Any chance you can squeeze in a small glass cabinet up there Steve. I recognise quite a few recent GB builds in that cardboard box, however they really ought to be displayed and presented a tad safer than that. This Skua is looking the goods as well. You are certainly on a build roll there matey!  

Cheers.. Dave  

I usually rotate them on the shelf Dave,the Spitfire and Hurricanes are just back in  the box then after a  dust  off!

• Like 1

Hi Greg

I store my military vehicles in an old bedroom chest of drawers but the "architects" plan drawers would be ideal - good idea. Unfortunately I would need a new house to put them in so I will stick with shelves in my roof with plastic sheet dustcovers for my recent planes - the old ones are in my study covered in a combination of dust and tar from my pipe which is not ideal.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2