Grumman Wildcat F4F.XXXXXFAILEDXXXXXX

stevej60

Hi Folk's I thought as a fallback in case the B-17 flops I'd grab a couple of cheapies (also to beat my Matchbox GB haul).I've been hoping a

Wildcat would turn up at KK since this GB started but none have however I looked at other manufacturers that issued Frog kits and one turned 

up in an Eastern Express box for £6 I know from experience their decals can be poor but I've a few Academy and Airfix spares so no worries

I'm not sure if the Wildcat is represented yet at least a Frog original.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Evening folks, well this one's a bit nasty looking nothing I suspect to do with the original Frog molding more down to the age of the

molds when EE did this production run there was enough flash to melt down and make another kit! Anyway cleaned the main parts

up with a decent paint job and Airfix decals I have spare should scrub up well! Should add the decals look good in the photo but I bet

they'll dissolve when they hit water!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

I'm looking forward to seeing this done Steve, the last one I built was about 40-45 years ago, it came up well & looked good brush painted with those lovely Humbrol authentics, decals laid down onto the matt finish without a trace of silvering, ahhh, the good old days. :D @Grey Beema is correct, just like this one.

Frog Wildcat IV

Steve.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

'm looking forward to seeing this done Steve, the last one I built was about 40-45 years ago

Cheer's Steve,that does look nice in FAA colour's.

• Thanks 1

Sorry Folk's not even going to waste time on this one in the cold light of day it really is a lot worse than expected,the halves seem to be

from two different kit's and the axe fell when I opened the canopy and found it was I suspect not from this kit at all,I think I'd be better off

doing a replacement the postie's just delivered a parcel from Pat with the Jaguar,Vengeance and an unexpected Harrier in lovely brown

plastic!

• Sad 5

13 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That's a shame Steve, but sometimes a kit can be more trouble than it's worth.

Every cloud has a silver lining, more time for the B-17? 😉

Cheers!

Thank's Charlie definitely the case here,the B17 is proving troublesome but progressing,once the fuselage is joined it will move quickly

from there.

• Like 2

Steve,

Not having much luck with some of your builds mate. Good job you had a few more on the production line!

Please refer to my note on the Shack build about Clearfix stripping acrylic paints - I would hate for you to have problems with the B17 windows.

Pete

34 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Steve,

Not having much luck with some of your builds mate. Good job you had a few more on the production line!

Please refer to my note on the Shack build about Clearfix stripping acrylic paints - I would hate for you to have problems with the B17 windows.

Pete

Cheers Pete I.ll watch out for that.yea fail rate at four now but skua come on today and going to do a vengeance too!

I have not got decs for the Skua but I probably have for the Vengeance should the need arise. It builds up quite nicely though I had to add exhausts and new gun barrels. These days it is generally dismissed as a failure, but the crews seem to have thought well of it and it did a decent job. One USN Aviator apparently said it was better than the Dauntless after flying one - very steady in the dive!

DSC01159

Here's my Revell re- boxing behind the Javelin FAW5 and FAW 9R (Hybrid Frog and Airfix ex Heller for the former and the latter is Chematic ex Plastyk). I painted it in my take on the DuPont RAF equivalents, and the decs are not as good as the Frog ones with white overspill around the roundels and fin flash which had to be painted out.

Hope this one works out better than some of your recent builds

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hope this one works out better than some of your recent builds

Thank's Peter,about to post sprue shots for it now,Pat sent extra decals so good to go.

• Thanks 1

What a lot of planes!

Your Javelins look great Pete. And a nice pair of Vengeances.

I'd like to see some sprue shots of the chocolate Harrier. Are we talking about the same (or maybe NOVO?) kit as the Hase/FROG I made?

Cheers,

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Johnson said:

What a lot of planes!

Your Javelins look great Pete. And a nice pair of Vengeances.

I'd like to see some sprue shots of the chocolate Harrier. Are we talking about the same (or maybe NOVO?) kit as the Hase/FROG I made?

Cheers,

It is the Hasegawa original Charlie,RAF/USMC schemes.

• Thanks 1