The Old, Old Tiffy

mike romeo

So, after a bit of procrastination, I have decided to submit the really old and basic - but shape accurate - FROG bubbletop Typhoon, F389.

2019-08-08_05-57-59

I have had in mind to do a full updating of this kit for a while.  However, this build will only go so far, as I want to mount this on the skybase that cane with the kit.

I did a bit of Dremel work on the chin radiator, thinning the plastic, removing the exit flap and opening up the exit slot.

2019-08-11_07-52-51

Thus to facilitate the fitting of the Heller radiator bath and mounting.

2019-08-11_07-53-34

The mounting plate has had a piece of thickish plastic card glued aft of the bath, as it was too thin to fit previously.  This has also been bent down a bit to flush fit the opening.

And here's the extent of progress on the fuse.  I will add the Heller cockpit floor on to a piece of card I have strategically positioned.  You can also see the base for building up the rear of the cockpit flush with the rear fuse.

2019-08-11_07-53-53

Finally, the major outline annoyance for me was the bulbous blunt spinner.  This is being replaced with the Academy 3-blade spinner which, although better shaped is, if anything, a bit small.  I had to open up the openings a bit to fit the FROG prop blades.

2019-08-11_07-54-12

So, that's where we are.  More in due course.

Regards

Marti 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Marti

Always good to see am extra Build joining the GB, stops @Rabbit Leader aka Dave getting complacent when it comes to maintaining the build list !

cheers Pat

On to it Pat, however I'd better do a little bit of the 'day job' first, can't quite afford to not retain that. 

As for the 'complacency' line... I'd better not mention that I appear to be the only GB Host to actually have a Frog GB Gallery entry!! 

Now how's 'Rita' going, you two still on speaking terms? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 5

Have been doing bits n' bobs to the Tiffy while the filler on the Hornet has been drying.

2019-08-17_01-49-58

The prop has been assembled and blades painted, exhausts have likewise been painted and added to the fuse halves.  I felt that the exhaust openings were very wide, so these have been narrowed by edging them with thin card.

The radiator assembly has also been painted and added.

Less obviously, I have sanded the hell out of the rear fuse to make it a bit narrower.  It's very subtle, but I can see the difference.

Irritatingly, I have lost the Heller Tempest IP, so will have to find a replacement elsewhere.  Then I can finish the cockpit, and add the tailwheel.  The blob of filler is, hopefully, going to become a rear seat cushion.  Hope to get the fuse joined this weekend.

Regards

Martin

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Hi Martin,

Good to see a Tiffie, coming along nicely. Is this the first bubbletop in the GB?

I think so.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 11:23 PM, SleeperService said:

The prime suspect is curled up on the sofa asleep..... 

You might have to follow the prime suspect tomorrow morning when nature calls to do ones business.. it may be advisable to wear gloves! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You might have to follow the prime suspect tomorrow morning when nature calls to do ones  business.. it may be advisable to wear gloves! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

In that case I'll get a replacement :sick: Hopefully it's just been batted under the furniture....

Well, I got Johnny Pilot painted and installed.  I'm not showing a pic of the tailwheel as it's a mess, but I got the fuse together!

Everything else is just dry-fitted at the moment.  

2019-08-18_04-53-16

I'm thinking of thickening the wings - which are pretty thin - with a tapering thickness of card sandwiched between the wing halves at the leading edge.  Any views?

Regards

Martin

• Like 9

19 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I'm thinking of thickening the wings - which are pretty thin - with a tapering thickness of card sandwiched between the wing halves at the leading edge.  Any views?

If it were me I would leave it - there's no doubt it's a Tiffie!

Having said that, if it was on my bench I might have a dabble...😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Seems unusual in this build to hear any complaints about a Frog wing being too thin! Got to be a first.

Given my experience with the Hornet, I did think it was slightly ironic!

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Thin wing? why not carve it into a Tempest!! No seriously, just leave it and get it finished. If you want an accurate Tiff, go and buy the Airfix kit, you’ll be glad you did. 

Cheers.. Dave 

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thin wing? why not carve it into a Tempest!! No seriously, just leave it and get it finished. If you want an accurate Tiff, go and buy the Airfix kit, you’ll be glad you did. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave,

Got plenty of those in the stash, and one on the shelf, thanks.

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Martin looks great, how did you get on with the wings. Be good to see this one built.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

You keep posting like this Chris and you’ll end up a GB Co-Host before you know it! 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, wasn't going to do more on this till the Hornet was finished, but felt the urge to mangle plastic again while waiting for my desk vice and heat gun to arrive:

2019-10-12_09-08-47

2019-10-12_09-09-13

The black dots are sprue soup to fill sink marks.  Hope to finish the filling and sanding tomorrow.

Regards

Martin

• Like 9