RS Models 1/72nd Caudron CR.714 C-1

Caudron CR.714 C-1 No 8538, flown by Sgt L Uher, 1st Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse I/145, Villacoublay, France, 1940

In the mid-1930s, the French government decided to quickly increase the numbers of modern aircraft in service. Caudron, along with Arsenal and Bloch, was approached to develop a light fighter of wooden construction that could be built quickly in large numbers without causing disruption to the existing types already in production. The original Caudron design was designated CR.710. The characteristically long nose, with the cockpit set back far on the fuselage was a family trait that could be traced back to racing aircraft of the 1920s and 1930s. The CR.710 prototype, which flew in July 1936, showed potential, and eventually led to the CR.714 “Cyclone” which flew in April 1938.

The CR.714 was powered by a new version of the Renault 12R-03 inverted supercharged V-12 engine, developing 370kW (500hp), and with a carburettor that could operate in negative g. Armament was four 7.92mm MAC 1934 machine guns, mounted in pairs in wing gondolas.

The French Air Force ordered 20 aircraft, with options for a further 180. Production began the summer of 1939, at a Renault factory in the Paris suburbs. Deliveries didn’t begin until the start of 1940. Testing the first production aircraft showed the design had serious flaws. Despite being lightweight, the design did not allow a new, more powerful engine to be fitted. The 500hp 12R-03 seriously compromised climb rate and manoeuvrability, and the type was withdrawn from service in March 1940. The initial production order was reduced to 90, of which 80 examples, intended to be flown by French pilots, were diverted to Finland.

Events in France, however, resulted in only six planes being delivered to Finland, with a further ten crated up in harbour when deliveries were stopped.

35 Caudron were delivered to the Polish Warsaw Squadron, comprising men who had escaped the German occupation of their homeland and were continuing the fight with France, on 18 May 1940. The pilots soon confirmed the type was seriously underpowered and no match for contemporary German fighters.

On 25 May, all CR.714s were ordered to be withdrawn from active service. Since the authorities had no other types to offer, the Polish pilots ignored the order. Despite being hopelessly outclassed, GCI/145 scored 12 confirmed and three unconfirmed victories between 8 and 11 June. Nine CR.714s were lost in air combat, and a further nine on the ground. The type continued to be used by the Polish training squadron based in Bron, near Lyon. They succeeded in dispersing some enemy air raids, losing no aircraft but recording no kills. By the fall of France at the end of June, only 53 Caudron production machines had been delivered.

48513081927_d9b5af485d_b.jpg

48513081137_52d3aee325_b.jpg

48513081847_608d57c676_b.jpg

48513081807_0989352dbd_b.jpg

48513081117_3845918a0c_b.jpg

48512903511_81c6f8125e_b.jpg

48513081632_70a766329d_b.jpg

48513081517_dd19b8f98e_b.jpg

48513081432_228213cbaf_b.jpg

48513081327_776e8792f3_b.jpg

48512902991_36a80709e1_b.jpg

48512902796_46372daa3a_b.jpg

The RS Models kit is fairly typical of modern limited run injection moulded kits. The parts were finely detailed and free of flash. No PE or resin details were included. Being a small aeroplane, the kit contains only 37 parts, including the clear parts.

I added some aftermarket PE seat belts, and chose to replace vulnerable parts such as pitot, machine guns and antenna mast with brass wire for strength. The model was painted with ColourCoats enamels for the camouflage scheme, with details using Humbrol acrylics and enamels. Aside from my usual painting issues - I will get it right one day, surely? - the kit went together quickly and with few vices.

The full WIP, such as it is, can be found starting here:

• Like 30

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Another great result, Heather :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive!

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Well done Heather, that came out very well. It reall5is a different plane. First time I have seen one.

I think it’s relatively obscure because it wasn’t numerous and was pretty hopeless. 

1 hour ago, Natter said:

Not all that different from Heller's earlier offering, but very nicely made.

Capturing the shape is important, I think. For my collection, I’ve tended to head for modern interpretations so I don’t need to add interior details. That said, my stash appears to have acquired several vintage Heller kits which are going to need some thinking about!

1 hour ago, djos said:

Not an easy model, but you managed it very well. I like it a lot

Best regards Djordje

Perhaps because I’ve built a few RS kits now, it didn’t cause any undue problems. Most of the problems I encountered were my lack of finesse with the air brush!

43 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Ta.

2 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

Beautiful model of an interesting aircraft (despite its actual performance). That is a kit I would like to build one day, too. So it's good to hear that this short-run kit is buildable.

Like many limited run kits, it just takes a bit of care to put together. There shouldn’t be anything in the box to put a seasoned modeller off, but I wouldn’t recommend them to a beginner.

Very neat and good looking model of a not-so-glamorous machine. No wonder it took fired-up Polish pilots to save its reputation as a fighter aircraft.

I appreciate the story that goes with the model, too!

Kind regards,

Joachim

9 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hello

Very nice model.

I made the same kit in 2015, but it seems every picture has disappeared on this forum.

Cheers.

Patrick

Patrick, I have found your build but indeed photos vanished... :(

Heather, very nice result. The machine was used almost only by Polish fighters during 1940 Frecnh campaign having 8 victories (8-11 June 1940) with loosing 14 aiplanes (mostly in accidents, thought). I 've just bumped on some recent photos from progress of its reconstruction in Krakow's Museum of Polish Aviation, which is done by 3D printing of missing parts even that large like spinner, propeller and pieces of front! 

https://www.milmag.pl/news/view?news_id=2122

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Heather, I have just found some information on Sgt. L. Uher . He was Czech pilot, serving in Polish GC 1/145 in France, then in RAF. Here is more info

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXYXX_F_O_Sgt_Ladislav_Uher_Mlkojedy_Czech_Republic

In RAF he was in (Polish) Squadron 307, then in Squadrons 46 and 257. On 30 July 1941 flying Hawker Hurricane Mk. II B ( Z3163) he did not return flom patrol over North Sea. He felt into sea about 35 miles NW from Happisburgh (Norfolk).  RIP....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JWM said:

Heather, I have just found some information on Sgt. L. Uher . He was Czech pilot, serving in Polish GC 1/145 in France, then in RAF. Here is more info

Wow! Thank you for that. It’s so easy to think that Czech and Polish only helped flying with the RAF, yet I now know they were fighting on with the French. 

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 22:38, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and good looking model of a not-so-glamorous machine. No wonder it took fired-up Polish pilots to save its reputation as a fighter aircraft.

I appreciate the story that goes with the model, too!

Thank Joachim!

On 11/08/2019 at 23:00, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very well done Caudron. :clap:

Thanks!

On 12/08/2019 at 05:27, VG 33 said:

Very nice model.I

Thanks Patrick. Well done on relocating the photos of your build the forum seemed to eat!

On 12/08/2019 at 09:46, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Heather - unusual marks, unusual type, and beautifully constructed :). Just my thing!

Cheers Martin! Polish markings clearly on a French plane certainly makes it stand out. 

56 minutes ago, invidia said:

Looks great. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Very nice.  I have the old Heller kit in the stash, I’ll be stoked if it turns as good as this.

I’ve got a Smer repop of the Heller Bloch. I started to put it together before I got a more recent kit of the type. If the Heller Caudron is similar, I suspect it’ll need some work to block in cockpit and wheel wells. It ought to still look good, though. I understand the Heller moulds are fairly accurate in outline.

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

It ought to still look good, though. I understand the Heller moulds are fairly accurate in outline.

Heller shapes are almost OK, I think I was correcting something in nose, likely the lenght of it (it was a bit to short - I am not 100% sure, but there are good drawings to compare). If anybody has RS and Heller kits can do a comparison here...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1