"Fighter Pilot" New ITV Series

Latinbear

Not sure whether this is the correct section for this but here goes....

Saw an advert on ITV this evening for a new series of three programmes beginning on Tuesday 20th August. The programme is about three pilots who are training to fly the F35. To be screened between 9 -10pm.

• Like 1

To be fair you see two growbags talking in the advert and I think the second is a WAFU.  If there two RAF Pilots and one WAFU as the focus of the series it mirrors the make up of the Typhoon force.....is one way to look at it.

On the other hand, fancy letting WAFU's on an RAF TV series !!! 😉

13 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

To be fair you see two growbags talking in the advert and I think the second is a WAFU.  If there two RAF Pilots and one WAFU as the focus of the series it mirrors the make up of the Typhoon force.....is one way to look at it.

On the other hand, fancy letting WAFU's on an RAF TV series !!! 😉

Perhaps letting FAA pilots star in an RAF TV series is a reflection of the influence of the inclusivity and diversity police?  😁

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Perhaps letting FAA pilots star in an RAF TV series is a reflection of the influence of the inclusivity and diversity police?  😁

Care in the community perhaps ?

• Haha 4

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:13 PM, rs2man said:

And even then there still won't be enough aeroplanes to go round

Sounds like what the F-35s career will be like from start to finish!

Allan

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, Eric Mc said:

Three F-35 pilots is probably all we can afford now.

As many as three??

Allan

3 minutes ago, GrimReaper09 said:

I’m good friends with ‘Andy’ and I know how it ends!! 

Tease ! :D

My wife and 13 year old were watching too. At the end she commented how young they looked and not much older than our lad. Of course he thought they looked a lot older. As Einstein said it’s all relative ;)

I began to watch this programme, but I soon lost interest when the narrator repeatedly referred the trainee pilot's flying test as a driving test! I realise that they must have to pitch these programmes to the lowest common denominator of public knowledge, but surely to goodness, the average "Joe Public" can tell the difference between an aeroplane and a car. Why not just call it what it is, a flying test. 

I just hope that this series doesn't detract from what these trainee pilots have achieved so far in their careers, by dumbing it down to soap opera standards. 

Good luck to them all, but please, please, please ITV, stop dumbing things down. 

Rant over. 

• Like 4

Did anybody else notice that the serial numbers on the Hawk's were pixelated

13 hours ago, cngaero said:

I began to watch this programme, but I soon lost interest when the narrator repeatedly referred the trainee pilot's flying test as a driving test! I realise that they must have to pitch these programmes to the lowest common denominator of public knowledge, but surely to goodness, the average "Joe Public" can tell the difference between an aeroplane and a car. Why not just call it what it is, a flying test. 

I just hope that this series doesn't detract from what these trainee pilots have achieved so far in their careers, by dumbing it down to soap opera standards. 

Good luck to them all, but please, please, please ITV, stop dumbing things down. 

Rant over. 

Agree 100%. I was surprised that there was no mention of the time spent in the simulator for Bally, the F35 pilot and his colleagues. The suggestion was that after four month's ground school he (and the others) would have simply got in and taken it for a spin (to extend the motoring analogy).

Did anybody else notice the pixelated serials on the 4 Squadron Hawks? Does anybody have any thoughts as to why that might have been done?  

4 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Did anybody else notice that the serial numbers on the Hawk's were pixelated

Agree 100%. I was surprised that there was no mention of the time spent in the simulator for Bally, the F35 pilot and his colleagues. The suggestion was that after four month's ground school he (and the others) would have simply got in and taken it for a spin (to extend the motoring analogy).

Did anybody else notice the pixelated serials on the 4 Squadron Hawks? Does anybody have any thoughts as to why that might have been done?  

I thought the serials being pixelated was wierd too - surely these can be seen on flightradar and such like?..

13 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Even Hawks have a right to privacy and the quiet enjoyment of life.

• Haha 3

Not bad footage . Not concerned which pilots from any service training  to fly it but the cost of just one of those bone dome will buy me a luxury house!! But agree with the gripe about driving tests.  What did irritate me too big time are the captions that flash up on screen repeating just what the commentator said. A couple scenes showing the Hawks revealed their serials though, As for the F-35 well to me it seems if you forget your password and you are in scramble mode then we're stuffed Just a hugely expensive lump of computor to go wrong at the wrong moment  and all those barn doors opening up.... remarkable the thing flies with all those holes.

Wait till they are at 40,000 ft, the computer crashes and all the control tower can come up with is "Have you tried turning it off and switching it on again?". They will be praising Martin-Baker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spfparker said:

I thought the serials being pixelated was wierd too - surely these can be seen on flightradar and such like?..

I don't know about Flightradar but it's not like they are super secret, stealthy aircraft. After all, we know how many were bought, where they are based, they don't fire weapons and they get photographed by enthusiasts all the time. All very odd! 

4 hours ago, spfparker said:

But not all the time! There was one repeated scene of a Hawk taking off where it was pixelated out but in others not......

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 4:18 PM, Nigel Bunker said:

Wait till they are at 40,000 ft, the computer crashes and all the control tower can come up with is "Have you tried turning it off and switching it on again?". They will be praising Martin-Baker.

After watching that part one's self,one thought "Let's hope they never have to scramble on an intercept"...........

One has heard also that they won't have any unit markings applied,because they'll be moved around

the units assigned to fly them,one thinks that that is code for "we can't afford many so units will have to share".

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, DaveWilko said:

After watching that part one's self,one thought "Let's hope they never have to scramble on an intercept"...........

One has heard also that they won't have any unit markings applied,because they'll be moved around

the units assigned to fly them,one thinks that that is code for "we can't afford many so units will have to share".

Last I heard was that the current fleet had been "doubled" to a whopping 35 with the order of 17 aircraft. Whether or not the fleet extends beyond the current initial order for 48 is open to question. True to form politicians are still dithering . Time will tell I guess

Allan

• Like 1