Admiral's Barge 1:48th scale on a slipway

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Models within models. With so much work done, I'm surprised in how quickly this has been done. Great stuff. Will be interesting to see what you're cooking next.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I'll let you into the secret if you promise not to tell anyone else.

I've done a lot of research on the Flower, including buying the digitally remastered film Cruel Sea, a must if you are going to model a flower, brilliant detail.  However, while I want to build one, I think it will need to await my retirement, whenever that is!. 

So I've decided to build one of the Denny steam gunboats..  My plan is to make this at 1:48th scale as a sort of advanced kit if anyone else wants to build one using wood and metal.  At 3ft long, it could easily be made into a working model, though personally, I don't do that..

Expect a new thread to start in a couple of weeks, I'm about to make a start on the drawings and will share the whole process.  4D offer a cutting CAD service so I'm going to experiment with them cutting the frames (lazy, but accurate), lots of new stuff to try.  The hull will be wooden then plated in aluminium as will the superstructure, a technique I've done before

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

This update is just on the water pour, I've been busy with the barge and some other cool details but they'll wait for next week when it finally comes together

Below is the diorama encased in perspex sheets.  These are stuck on with bathroom sealant which I hope I can cut away without damaging the wood too much 🤞

The inside edge of the perspex has been coated in Vasaline taking care not to touch the paint.  This process was done indoors, not too much dust here

DSCN1538

This is the stuff i used, Deep Pour water from Woodland Scenics.  They do muddy water and clear, I mixed 1 part muddy water with 2 parts clear, as I wanted to see the rocks etc but totally clear would be wrong

DSCN1539

The process is a steady one, warm the mixture in 50 deg water for 15 minutes, measure the quantity, stir for 5 minutes, rest for 5 , stir for 5 more and then pour, but the pour is limited to 1/2 inch so I had to do two mixes as my depth is 5/8th inch.  Second mix was clear only added after 4 hours. Cover is all in aluminium foil while it hardens, final cure takes 24 hours 

Hard to see with the perspex in the way but it seems to have worked.  The problem I have is the slipway has a slight ridge due to the viscosity of the mixture.  However, I have some other stuff that I can add on top and I'll feather it out with that.  I also need to add the water ripples to give an indication of gently flowing water.

DSCN1542

Anyway, big relief that nothing reacted badly or bubbled, the water has a slight translucency so that the weed and rocks show through.  The base wood edge will be painted black-board black in the end btw.

I've decided this is a fairly over the top way to present a model boat, but its been such fun making all the individual details

• Like 11

Gidday Steve, your model here could pass for the real thing. In the photo above I particularly like the dinghy and the water. It is clear enough to see the bottom but muddy enough to be realistic. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Steve - it looks absolutely Top Notch.  I'm assuming that Woodland Scenics product is "Casting resin"?

The whole scene is looking thoroughly sorted :coolio:

Rob

Yes, its a two part product, they also do one that melts and then solidifies, but this product is the one for deep water, I guess its formulated to control the build up of heat during the cure.  I should have added some muddy water to the second pour as you can just see the line on the edge, will have to live with that...  :banghead:

12 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Fabulous work with the water Steve.

I haven't tried this 'deep water' stuff yet but may do in the future.

Stuart

Woodland Scenics Water Ripples coming this week, should make the water come alive and look less flat.  My idea is that the flow is towards the bow of the boat so will leave some turbulence in the wake of the rocks and swirl up the ramp a little..., Been watching a lot of videos

• Like 1

Thanks Steve - that's really helpful

2 more points if I may bother you...

1) How much heat is created?

2) Do you anticipate that the Perspex will "part" OK or do you aim to keep it?

I've been looking at Kosats Katseas and his fabulous water depictions - he uses clear casting resin and I'm keen to try it 

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I've been looking at Kosats Katseas and his fabulous water depictions - he uses clear casting resin and I'm keen to try it 

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

Holding the mixing pot after a couple of hours, the mixture left was easily over 40 deg C still, it takes 24 hours to cure completely.  Interestingly, there were no bubbles in the mix but I did stir it very slowly and gently for the 10 minutes stated

Getting that perspex off is a job for this evening :fingerscrossed:.  I'm hoping I can cut through the thin layer of bathroom sealant to lift it away from the wood without damaging the ply.  I've got some sealant remover that should clean the wood surface off though I'm wondering now if I should have varnished it first.  This whole thing is an experiment, way out of my comfort zone 

I used Vaseline on the face that the resin touches as the guys at 4d advised.  I applied this with a flat ended brush very carefully to avoid touching the river bed.  Spray wax would also work but is harder to control over-spray.  This is the last tense moment, I'll drop a post on how it turns out.

If you've not seen it, the 4d model shop website is excellent https://modelshop.co.uk/  Its a really dangerous (ie expensive) place to visit!!  They serve professional architectural model makers and are really helpful.  They do my etching work and for the SGB I've started drawing, I'm going to try their laser cutting service, all will be revealed in another thread shortly

• Like 2

20 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Thanks

Rob

The perspex came away without a problem last night, but the resin has a significant meniscus that needs to be carefully cut away.  I made a start but that stuff is tough as anything, needs more attention to get it tidy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Wow absolutely brilliant Steve just love all the detail you have added and the water puts the icing on the cake :thumbsup:

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

I've just been reading your Bluenose thread, so really appreciate those comments.  I know exactly how fiddly those mast bands are to make, a man after my own heart!

Thanks

Steve

• Thanks 1

Quick update, nearing completion now.  The case is finished and being varnished, meanwhile, the barge clean-up is as good as I can make it, it suffered from 10 years in the workshop and some of that is too tough to fix now.  Still, its in for reapir so I guess a little damage is to be expected.

The water ripples were not a success, too distinctive, so I've covered the surface with Vallejo water effects which is self levelling and has hidden most of my errors.  More practice needed with water....

DSCN1545

Now with the barge installed and the shed back in place, a busy boat-yard scene.  Broom just noticeable leaning against the boat frame in the shed

DSCN1546

and an atmospheric (ie badly lit) shot from the water end... Block and tackle visible at the end of the shed, there will be more rope lying about when its all done

DSCN1547

I've ordered two 1:48th scale workmen, one kneeling and one leaning.  The kneeling one will be on the platform fixing the stem damage and the leaning one will be leaning against the boat frame.

I just need to paint the edge black, add a little more clutter and complete the case and that's about it.  Hopefully post some better pictures in a couple of weeks (we're away next weekend)

• Like 11

Hi Steve went back to your first post and copied what you wrote  "I've never done any scenic work at all so this whole thread is an experiment and my experiments go wrong more often than they go right." well don't see any wrongs :like: and for your first go at it, all I can say is Wow brilliantly done thank you for sharing.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi Steve went back to your first post and copied what you wrote  "I've never done any scenic work at all so this whole thread is an experiment and my experiments go wrong more often than they go right." well don't see any wrongs :like: and for your first go at it, all I can say is Wow brilliantly done thank you for sharing.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, I sincerely appreciate such comments from people who know how frustrating this hobby can be.  I was very upset by the ripples, even my wife who normally takes only the slightest interest, said, "that doesn't look right" dooming my mood further.... 

The Vallejo water effect has improved the situation, but that is most definitely a skill that needs honing, next  time eh?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's finished and I'm quite pleased with the result, certainly its got lots of detail to create interest.  The final touch is the magnificent figures from ModelU ( www.modelu3d.co.uk )

But first, back to the picture that inspired it

54511097_128845821604762_9163175148694607929_n

And the final result

DSCN1551

A passing resemblance.  The workman is inspecting the damage to the forefoot, while the rating is coming to check on progress

DSCN1553

The other workman on the platform is taking a break (amazingly, the height of the handrail fitted exactly to where his hand is resting, what are the odds?).  A second rating seems to be getting the dinghy underway

DSCN1554

Meanwhile the dinghy in the boats shed is on the back-burner

DSCN1555

That ladder on the back was supposed to be against the stern but of course the water is in the way and it couldn't float!.  There's a broken sled trolley and an old grating in the rubbish pile at the rear

DSCN1556

Much happier with the water ripples now, and the satin varnish on the black edge (black board paint) has finished the edge of the water covering the white edges where I removed the meniscus.  The ratings are from Shapeways, (1:48th scale figures are tough to source....)

DSCN1557

Close-up of the first workman, hopefully you can see the paint pots though that repair will take more than paint!

DSCN1558

A water butt and some old bricks round the back, that pump needs painting, just look at the rust....

DSCN1559

An attempt to show the lovely lines of the barge, this is a boat model after all, displayed rather elaborately 🤔

DSCN1560

Thanks for following and the nice comments, another thread coming soon

• Like 15

Gidday Steve, You've set yourself a very high standard for the next one. This is truly a work of art. I think you've included just the right amount of various clutter to make it look very authentic. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really appreciate the nice comment, thanks.  Actually, it was a lot of fun and made a welcome change, thinking about how I can do a similar job for CMB model.  They were stored and launched sideways on rails, help me use up the remaining water ....