Admiral's Barge 1:48th scale on a slipway

16 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I have some drawings somewhere if you want to build one, just let me know

That is very kind. However...On a self sits a 2/3ds finished Scratch build 1/72nd scale Vosper 70 footer and also a damaged 1/144th scale Fair Rosamund which I'm just working up the nerve to de-rig and sort out... might take a while. or 2.

So thanks and watch out for the rebirth of Fair Rosymund... :D

This weekends update, lots of progress on a number of fronts.

First, I made a potbelly stove, needed to heat the horse-glue (remember that from woodwork in the 60's?), the door and windows are also painted but not distressed yet

DSCN1509

I also fitted the boat support cross timers and stained them black.  And I made the rig to haul the truck out of the water out of brass

DSCN1511

Next I made the 10' dinghy frame (you can't have a boat shed without a boat !)  In this picture the mat coat is still wet, its not shiny now.  I've also painted the flagstones, still some work to do on these but they are coming together

DSCN1513

This picture gives a better idea of the look, the ground has had a base coat.  There is a work bench and sharpening wheel to go in the shed yet, plus a couple of carpenters chests and the planking timber etc.  It will look much more crowded in the end.  Flag-stone floor looking better here

The near uprights have warped a little, the near corner in particular, it need to come off and be re-glued :angry:

I've begun some experiments with rust on the roof, more to do and some moss to add etc..  The track has had the first rust stain

DSCN1514

Finally, the barge back in place to get a better idea of the completed set-up

DSCN1515

• Like 11

This weekend's update, a few firsts.  First time really attempting to paint realistic scenery.  600 flagstone and countless blocks in the wall, all individually painted, adding colour to the mix and picking out to add variability to the wall

DSCN1519

Their might be too much weed, hard to judge but easy to remove.  The water level will come about 2/3rds of the way along the dark section of the slip, so about where the dark weed ends on the end wall and the light begins

DSCN1520

So, it will fill that basin, there will be a 10 ft dinghy in the basin that I still need to make tied up against the quay.  More rust needed on the track, but the flags look OK in this shot

Then I finished the carpenters bench and made a grind-stone to keep their chisels sharp

DSCN1516

I also built a platform and stairs to gain access to the barge.  These pictures show most of the main components made and in their final positions

DSCN1517

There will be stuff n the bench and more wood in the yard, and it all needs weathering

DSCN1518

I found the drawing of the barge, it was a free plan in Model Shipwright in the 90's

• Like 12

59 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It’s been said before, but this is fabulous.

Guys, Thanks for all the nice comments.  Considering this is my first attempt at scenic painting, I think the colours are not too bad.  Vallejo paint is wonderful btw.  Since taking these pictures I've been adding rust detail using Vallejo pigments to the sled and the shed roof, though I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, hence no pictures yet.  We'll see how that goes and I'll post an update at the weekend. 

Steve

This weekends update.  Much more progress on weathering and planting!

Outside stack of wood covering in a tarpaulin with weeds growing around it.  Bricks holding the tarpaulin in place

DSCN1524

I also made a board for the lifebuoy

DSCN1523

Still weathering the slipway truck and I've made a start on cleaning up the barge itself, but my gloss varnish was too old so work stopped on that, will finish next week.  The funnel and cowl vents were removed and polished, they look stunning.  The slight damage to the stem I've decided to have them working on, so I made a small platform

DSCN1522

Still have a couple of ladders and buckets to make, plus tins of paint and tools. 

Couldn't put it off any longer so made the dinghy that will be tied up against the quay.  Shown here fitting the ribs.  Same 10ft mould as I used for the Fairmile

DSCN1521

The mould uses spray wax as a releasing agent which (even after cleaning with alcohol) seems to stop the glue sticking to anything but my fingers.... 

• Like 6

This work is so outstanding, yet superlatives seem trite.

7 hours ago, Steve D said:

I also made a board for the lifebuoy

DSCN1523

How did you make the lifebuoy? On my effort in this scale, I used a kit's plastic ring, paper, and thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This work is so outstanding, yet superlatives seem trite.

How did you make the lifebuoy? On my effort in this scale, I used a kit's plastic ring, paper, and thread.

That lifebuoy was a spare I had in the bits drawer.  It is a low-temperature metal casting from a rubber mould I made years ago.  The master for the mould was turned in brass and filed a lot! The bands are made from masking tape and the rope is from one of the many balls of cotton I keep.  Being metal, it would make a terrible float 😆

• Like 2

No big progress but lots of little bits...  3 buckets in various stages of completion (two here and one in the shed), a wood steamer that will have a pipe from a boiler on the stove (mounted on the side wall of the shed, mountings are primed), a small truck for moving shifting stuff around, a box of boat fittings in need of a polish, etc...

DSCN1529

The anvil was in a plastic kit I'd bought years ago, mounted on a short length of aged privet.  The same kit had a vice, cheating really.   The grind wheel also shown.  I also need to make at least two ladders.

The rear of the shed has coal storage, some bricks that need ageing and in the distance, a wire rope reel.  The surface now has the clinker finish I wanted, dark but an improvement

DSCN1528

Hard to see in this picture is the fire bucket hanging at the back, still only primed

DSCN1526

And the boat is finished, a ladder added (from an old etching sheet) and a couple of rusty iron loops.  The boat will be floating in water at this end about 1/2 inch deep, tied up.  I have to do some trials with the woodland scenics deep pour water, too much work invested now to ruin it 🤞  

DSCN1525

The barge is under refurbishment, the white paint finish was terrible so I had to take all the fittings off and sand it back, silly to have the mounting let down by the whole purpose of the project.... That process nearly worked, now it needs repairing before re-building...:banghead:

• Like 13

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Some really nice little details going into this diorama  :popcorn:

beefy

Thanks, I have more planned, trying to work out how to make a tiny wooden plane to leave on the bench, not that anyone will see it, but I'll know it's there....

• Like 1

This weekend's update, lots to talk about.

First, ladders, the Unimat drill head and milling attachment was pressed into service to drill 1.1mm holes at precise centres

DSCN1530

Then some 1mm square lime wood was stripped through a draw plate (my grandfather's) to take the edges off so it could be assembled with the stretchers over a 6mm block

DSCN1531

And then the stretchers were rounded off to form a 'D' section, three different lengths of ladder made.  They are a little heavy, but will do.

I also made a hand-pump from brass and fitted it to the end of the shed with a bucket.  The green needs matting down, bit too shiny in this picture.  I'll fill the bucket with water later

DSCN1535

Very exciting, I bought some AK wet effect liquid and went over the stone walls and the lower end of the ramp, the roofs, and the sled trolleys, raised the look, it was all too flat.  Very impressed with that wet effect..

Here you can see (just) the tools on the bench, a bow saw and a couple of planes.  The grating is something they are repairing

DSCN1537

The office floor is in, as is the boat, much weathered down.  It's sitting in its final place, on a couple of 0.6mm wires so it will stay put when I pour the water (next weekend.  I've just noticed the fire bucket on the slip-way, this has a hook at the end of the shed.

The boat is tied up fore and aft, I made a couple of oar-locks and one oar is resting in the outboard one, looking forward to seeing the water in place

DSCN1533

Final shot shows the back of the shed, not the spare sled trolley rusting away and some more timber still needs weathering.  The wet effect on the roof and the tarpaulin is evident here

DSCN1534

The case is ordered, time to start considering the next project.....

• Like 9