Tower Bridge Hunter Underside Colour

gareth

Hi guys, I'm trying to decide what co our to paint the underside of my model of XF442. Most builds seem to be painted in HSS, but is there anything to rule out that XF442 might have gone over to LAG undersides ?

Gareth 

If you search the forums, which are very helpful and full of interesting stuff, you possibly will find the answer that your looking for, as it is, this may help you, a guy on here, Cedb, did a complete build of the subject last year that you are interested in:-

• Like 1

Light Aircraft Grey was introduced in 1966 , so XF442 really could have been either by 1968 .  I would imagine that aircraft would usually only be repainted when sent for major servicing , so which is was would depend on whether the aircraft received such a servicing between the introduction of LAG & Alan Pollock's exploits

20 minutes ago, gareth said:

Thanks for all your posts guys. After spending a couple of days digging I've found this picture of XF442 in 1969.

https://www.na3t.org/air/photo/MIL22761

To me, as the plane has the upper surfaces camo wrapped around the wing leading edge which suggests LAG, unless someone things differently. 

If you look at the sabrina In this picture its half and half painted  front HSS and LAG rear  suggesting the underside is LAG,

Selwyn

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AMB said:

I have Kodachrome slides of the 1 Squadron Hunters taken at West Raynham in 1968 and they are all HSS underneath and the top camo is in GLOSS finish.

Hi Adrian

Do you have any pics of XF442 that you could share with us ?

John Green