As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Arjan

LCT(IV) in 1/35 scale

Inspired by an acquaintance who is currently scratch building an LCT(IV) in 1/35 scale I wish to get started on one too. My intention is to build a working rc one. I once had the 1/35 LCT(4) resin kit by Accurate Armour but I sold it some years ago . I regret having sold this kit because the deck parts, ramp etc. would have made my job much easier. I have been looking for some reference pics of a finished 1/35 model but all I have found were a handful of pics of one built by Ian MacGognagle (IPMS diorama award winner). I get the impression that very few people actually finished this 1/35 resin kit but I'm convinced there must be more pics on the internet somewhere. By the way, I intend to build a vessel that was present at the Walcheren landings in November 1944.

Regards,

Arjan

Last Friday my acquaintance brought along his model to my place so I could take some photos. He used 3mm plywood for the hull which he covered with 1mm ABS sheet. Since I plan to build a running model I think I will only use polystyrene (of various thicknesses).

FSO2CgR.jpg

wxdHhgR.jpg

YqunZwC.jpg

The only parts he ordered from Accurate Armour were the Oerlikons.

Regards,

Arjan

I suspect the best you are going to get is the pictures of the 1/76th S-13 version which are still on the Accurate Armour website which is the currently available kit at Dan Taylor's Modelworks site https://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/landing-craft-tank-mk-iv-11-p.asp  

I understood Dan was behind the masters of both versions so you might find he can provide more photos of the 1/35th one. 

I see there was an issue of Tamiya magazine which looks like it covered the start of a build: http://tamiyamodelmagazine.com/frames/BackIssues/Issue122.htm

Otherwise it would be a question of looking through what photos of the original craft there are from sites like the Imperial War Museum.  

Thanks for your response Francis. I will try to get hold of the Tamiya magazine in question. I'm looking for detail pics preferably showing rivets and bolts, that's why most pics of 1/76 models and most period pics are not quite adequate. I'm not a rivet counter, but some additional detail is required on a 1/35 model. A selection of pics I find useful :

pO7pFRk.jpg

lLEtdE3.jpg

19FfiuM.jpg

gXKNbfj.jpg

By the way, I really wonder how they managed to make the ramp more or less water tight ???? Of course there were additional water tight doors but I assume the ramp itself wasn't leaking too badly.

ejtBtUo.jpg

Interesting pic of the ill-fated operation Duck :

rtmwzAp.jpg

Two more useful pics :

W2c0KhB.jpg

ePXrUGf.jpg

edit: In the mean time I managed to obtain a file of the Tamiya Magazine issue. the author had only built the Oerlikon guns at this point. I think I will use Italeri ones instead (I have some Italeri PT boat accessory kits), I will have to scratch build the band stands  though :

7qoF3Kg.png

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan