LCT(IV) in 1/35 scale

Arjan

Inspired by an acquaintance who is currently scratch building an LCT(IV) in 1/35 scale I wish to get started on one too. My intention is to build a working rc one. I once had the 1/35 LCT(4) resin kit by Accurate Armour but I sold it some years ago . I regret having sold this kit because the deck parts, ramp etc. would have made my job much easier. I have been looking for some reference pics of a finished 1/35 model but all I have found were a handful of pics of one built by Ian MacGognagle (IPMS diorama award winner). I get the impression that very few people actually finished this 1/35 resin kit but I'm convinced there must be more pics on the internet somewhere. By the way, I intend to build a vessel that was present at the Walcheren landings in November 1944.

Regards,

Arjan

Last Friday my acquaintance brought along his model to my place so I could take some photos. He used 3mm plywood for the hull which he covered with 1mm ABS sheet. Since I plan to build a running model I think I will only use polystyrene (of various thicknesses).

FSO2CgR.jpg

wxdHhgR.jpg

YqunZwC.jpg

The only parts he ordered from Accurate Armour were the Oerlikons.

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 4

I suspect the best you are going to get is the pictures of the 1/76th S-13 version which are still on the Accurate Armour website which is the currently available kit at Dan Taylor's Modelworks site https://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/landing-craft-tank-mk-iv-11-p.asp  

I understood Dan was behind the masters of both versions so you might find he can provide more photos of the 1/35th one. 

I see there was an issue of Tamiya magazine which looks like it covered the start of a build: http://tamiyamodelmagazine.com/frames/BackIssues/Issue122.htm

Otherwise it would be a question of looking through what photos of the original craft there are from sites like the Imperial War Museum.  

Thanks for your response Francis. I will try to get hold of the Tamiya magazine in question. I'm looking for detail pics preferably showing rivets and bolts, that's why most pics of 1/76 models and most period pics are not quite adequate. I'm not a rivet counter, but some additional detail is required on a 1/35 model. A selection of pics I find useful :

pO7pFRk.jpg

lLEtdE3.jpg

19FfiuM.jpg

gXKNbfj.jpg

By the way, I really wonder how they managed to make the ramp more or less water tight ???? Of course there were additional water tight doors but I assume the ramp itself wasn't leaking too badly.

ejtBtUo.jpg

Interesting pic of the ill-fated operation Duck :

rtmwzAp.jpg

Two more useful pics :

W2c0KhB.jpg

ePXrUGf.jpg

edit: In the mean time I managed to obtain a file of the Tamiya Magazine issue. the author had only built the Oerlikon guns at this point. I think I will use Italeri ones instead (I have some Italeri PT boat accessory kits), I will have to scratch build the band stands  though :

7qoF3Kg.png

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
17 minutes ago, Rodders154 said:

I visited the one at Portsmouth

FWIW LCT 7074 which is  on display at the D-Day story museum at Southsea is a Mark 3 rather than Mk 4 and although the main hull  and deckhouse are largely as original, the work done in 1945 to an engineering support role changed the bow ramp and the side bulwarks considerably but still very much worth a visit as it is the only survivor of the 900+ LCTs at D-Day.  

I have recently completed a working model of 7074 as at 7th June 1944 with a build description and free plan in the May and June issues of Model Boats magazine.  This is how it looks at your recommended 10 ft:

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
On 13/06/2022 at 10:39, Francis Macnaughton said:

FWIW LCT 7074 which is  on display at the D-Day story museum at Southsea is a Mark 3 rather than Mk 4 and although the main hull  and deckhouse are largely as original, the work done in 1945 to an engineering support role changed the bow ramp and the side bulwarks considerably but still very much worth a visit as it is the only survivor of the 900+ LCTs at D-Day.  

I have recently completed a working model of 7074 as at 7th June 1944 with a build description and free plan in the May and June issues of Model Boats magazine.  This is how it looks at your recommended 10 ft:

spacer.png

I’m involved in a project to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the D-day landings and my job is to produce a model LCT with tanks, landing in Normandy. I’m struggling to get plans for a mk3 LCT and hoped I might persuade you to let me have some plans or at least sufficient photos for me to produce the right shape. Since my final model will be knitted, I don’t need fine detail, just a reasonably accurate shape. My model needs to be approximately 80 cm long, but I’m capable of scaling up or down as necessary. Any chance you could help out with this project?

By “knitted”, I mean, I will make a styrene LCT and then cover it with knitted panels so that the construction underneath is not visible - it’s not going to be a shapeless as a stuffed toy. 

12 hours ago, Lindy Kirk said:

Since my final model will be knitted, I don’t need fine detail, just a reasonably accurate shape. My model needs to be approximately 80 cm long, but I’m capable of scaling up or down as necessary. Any chance you could help out with this project?

By “knitted”, I mean, I will make a styrene LCT and then cover it with knitted panels so that the construction underneath is not visible - it’s not going to be a shapeless as a stuffed toy. 

No problem at all Lindy and the plans I did are in 1/72nd scale which works out at almost exactly 80cm long.   Look out for a pm later today with enough to get you started.