F86 Sabre 1/48 scale.

Aerofix

Can anyone recommend a decent one of these please? I am not fussed about the variant, just the quality of the kit. If anyone has an Edward in their stash, I could be interested?!

Aerofix,

Not really my scale, but based upon your criteria ,and what reviews I have read, I would suggest the Monogram/Revell F-86D would be the best and most highly detailed out of the box, followed by either the Academy F-86F-30 or the Hasegawa F-86F-30, with the Academy kit having the best cockpit and area behind the canopy. I believe the Eduard F-86F kit is a reboxed Hasegawa kit with Eduard detail parts. @Sabrejet or @Courageous would be the Sabre experts to give you the most informed opinion. (We are all still  waiting for the definitive F-86A/E/F in 1/72 and 1/48!)

Mike

72modeler has pretty much covered it.  If you are after the 'classic' sabre, academy or hasegawa, the academy can usually be had for cheaper.  If, like you say, variant isn't an issue the Monogram 86D Sabre Dog.  Even the old monogram classic sabre is not a bad kit, although a much older tooling with raised lines and associated fit problems

Bruce

I have to agree with @72modeler - in terms of quality, looking right and - most importantly for me - enjoyment of build, the Revell/Monogram F-86D is the best kit in 1/48.

Hasegawa/Eduard are OK, as is Academy; competent, accurate and both good versions of the F-86F.

I used to like the Monogram F-86F (reboxed many times) but it shows its age now - raised panel lines and a bit clunky for the 21st century.

Finally, Bronco is also promising an 'F-86F-30' for 2019/2020 so that one might raise the bar in terms of day fighters and might be worth waiting for - so long as it has a slatted wing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Courageous would be the Sabre experts

Thanks for the praise Mike but I wouldn't classify myself as any sort of expert in anything, particularly the F-86. Putting that aside, 1/72 is my scale, so can't really help in the 1/48 department.

Stuart