1/48 RF-4E and F-4G

zebra

I had meant to join in a bit earlier but things haven't quite gone to plan. I couldn't decide which Phantom to build so I'm going to have a go at a double build - this might be a bit ambitious as I'm joining half way through, but I'll have a crack at it. As both kits will have a lot in common it might be pretty efficient - I should be able to get parts from both kits painted at the same time for example. So hopefully I'm not overstretching my modelling time here!

First up, Hasegawa 1/48 RF-4E:

Hasegawa 1/48 RF-4E

This is going to be in Iranian colours, probably the recent blue/grey scheme they've also been using on their Tomcats, using decals from Hi-Decal. 

Then the Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G (not sure why, but this has always been my favourite Phantom variant - it might just be from seeing one at my first IAT in 1985):

Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G

This will be in Euro 1 colours using a Milspec decal sheet.

Hopefully I'll get time to get started tomorrow.

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

Nice choices, im planning on a JASDF RF-4E in the Sea scheme camouflage.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan-Air-Self-Defense-Force-JASDF/McDonnell-Douglas-RF-4E-Phantom-II/5310339

That is just by far the coolest colors on the RF-4E that I've ever seen. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had made a start on these - did some work on the cockpits - but life has got in the way and I’ve realised I really don’t have enough time to get these done, unless I rush them. So they’re going back on the shelf and will come down again when I have time to do them justice.

good luck everyone with the last few weeks of the GB

cheers

Julian

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, zebra said:

I had made a start on these - did some work on the cockpits - but life has got in the way and I’ve realised I really don’t have enough time to get these done, unless I rush them. So they’re going back on the shelf and will come down again when I have time to do them justice.

good luck everyone with the last few weeks of the GB

cheers

Julian

Sorry to hear that but it is a fact of life that things in real life take priority over modeling. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Romeo Alpha Yankee And @Corsairfoxfouruncle. Work has been ridiculously busy (but not in a bad way) and in a couple of weeks my modelling time will be curtailed briefly by a holiday in Queensland, so it’s all good! The Phantoms will be built, if there isn’t a GB that suits them I might have to do a bit of non-GB modelling (there’s always the KUTA of course)

• Like 4