1:72 Novo Attacker

Hot on the heals of the Sea Venom comes another little-publicised Royal Navy jet, the Supermarine Attacker F.1. 

This kit is even more basic than the Frog Sea Venom!

spacer.png

This is all there is ...

spacer.png

Look at these! Most basic decals of all time?

spacer.png

Luckily I had these left over on an old aftermarket decal sheet!

spacer.png

• Like 5

Firstly, the solid cockpit with disembodied pilot's head (already decapitated in this photo) had to go!

spacer.png

Then I cut out the solid block to open up the cockpit ...

spacer.png

... and tidied it up.

spacer.png

I found a few scraps to try and make a rudimentary cockpit from. 

spacer.png

• Like 16

So, a bit of time after watching the rugger for some more scratch building, admittedly not to the usual standard you see on here, but it should do the job, especially at this scale. First off, I made a bulkhead so the fuselage isn't hollow through the intakes. 

I made an instrument panel from a bit of spare plastic, and just used blu-tack to fill in the hole inside the jet pipe. All interiors painted matt black.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up, those strange wings with no wheel bays. Luckily, Novo had etched an outline where they should be, so I cut around it then filed around the edges. It was quite tough plastic, but I'm pleased with the result. I'll worry about how to fit the oleos later!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 10

One thing that is less than great with this kit is the canopy, too wide in the windscreen which makes it over dimension pretty much all around, kind of gold fish bowl style. There was someone who did one of these a couple or so years ago, but I can't seem to find it, there us a correct canopy in the Falcon FAA set which needs the cockpit opening packing around the edges to fit the VAC canopy.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, I was wondering if I might try and find a new canopy. 

I found a spare cockpit tub that seems to fit perfectly...

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 4

The fit of the wings was better than I was expecting from such an old, basic kit, although the starboard one needed a bit of filler.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then sprayed with Humbrol 90 'beige green'. It dries remarkably quickly.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Looks like you are having a lot of fun with that kit. I was recently given an old Attacker kit by a friend. It is the Eastern Express boxing which, I believe, is from the same moulds.

Duncan B 

• Like 3

Just now, Duncan B said:

Looks like you are having a lot of fun with that kit. I was recently given an old Attacker kit by a friend. It is the Eastern Express boxing which, I believe, is from the same moulds.

Duncan B 

They all originate from a FROG moulding from the 1950s.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, Lord Riot said:

Thanks for the comments chaps! Pleased with how the line came out especially. Could do with the beige green being more glossy though. 

I would suggest a coat of Kleer/Future if you can get a hold of it. Otherwise Humbrol's Clear is a good gloss varnish similar to Kleer. Early 50s FAA planes were kept pretty clean and glossy. If it's too glossy once you've the transfers on you can use a satin varnish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1