Eduard 1/32 109E4- RLM call out query

Antb

Evening chaps 

I'm wanting my next build to be this kit and have started looking through the instructions and trying to decide which of the 5 schemes to go for. 

All schemes call out for RLM76 for the light blue but my understanding is this should be RLM65. 

Is it a case that 76 is correct or have Eduard got this incorrect? 

Grateful as always for any pointers 

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Is this the 5 Battle of Britain options?  In which case my assumption would be 65 too.

Yes that's the one, it has Adolf gallands bird in there. 

It's the 2009 kit if that helps. 

I can't find anything specific online relating to the colours being wrong in kit reviews etc. 

42 minutes ago, Antb said:

Yes that's the one, it has Adolf gallands bird in there. 

It's the 2009 kit if that helps. 

I can't find anything specific online relating to the colours being wrong in kit reviews etc. 

That is interesting, just checked their 1/32 Bf109E-4 instructions and even though some are the same scheme as the 1/48 subjects, they have labelled the blue wrong (76 instead of 65). Good find. 

There is considerable evidence of grey schemes appearing on BoB Bf109s, or even earlier, but these normally refer to the upper colours rather than the underside.  The actual adoption of the 74/75/76 colour scheme for fighters is not until 1941.  Suggestions have been that these descriptions applied to either trials of these colours in advance of adoption - in which case they may not have been identical hues anyway - or local use of captured French paints.  Certainly the majority of RAF references refer to the blue bellies of the Bf109s.   (OK, I haven't catalogued every report nor done a statistical survey.)

Beware that there are arguments for a different shade of 65 being introduced at this time (greyer and less vivid) and the French did have gris bleu clair - also argued as existing in two different hues, one significantly lighter than the other.  You may not wish to research deeply which of the Eduard options may or may not have had one or the other of these possible alternatives, but methinks the safe money is on the side of a tin labelled 65.  Ah, but which...

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2019 at 17:01, Graham Boak said:

There is considerable evidence of grey schemes appearing on BoB Bf109s, or even earlier, but these normally refer to the upper colours rather than the underside.  The actual adoption of the 74/75/76 colour scheme for fighters is not until 1941.  Suggestions have been that these descriptions applied to either trials of these colours in advance of adoption - in which case they may not have been identical hues anyway - or local use of captured French paints.  Certainly the majority of RAF references refer to the blue bellies of the Bf109s.   (OK, I haven't catalogued every report nor done a statistical survey.)

Beware that there are arguments for a different shade of 65 being introduced at this time (greyer and less vivid) and the French did have gris bleu clair - also argued as existing in two different hues, one significantly lighter than the other.  You may not wish to research deeply which of the Eduard options may or may not have had one or the other of these possible alternatives, but methinks the safe money is on the side of a tin labelled 65.  Ah, but which...

Thanks Graham, appreciate the info.  

As for which tin of 65 I'm thinking of going with Mr Colour. Whether it's accurate or not I've no idea but used it before and looks alright to me. 

Thanks again for the comments