Revel 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Dude! You need to go back and repaint the engine gear casings black. A nice semi-gloss black, actually. 

Chris

I'll try and re spray them when I do the pre shading. I had wondered about the colour suggested in the kit instructions. I'll dry brush the cylinders if I can. Thanks for the suggestion. 

5 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good, you are making short work of this.

1 hour ago, Teuchter said:

Nice quick build. I may have missed this in other builds before, but the nose cannons seem to have been covered and then doped with a dark colour, is this red dope?

Don

Not as quick as it couldve been, been working a lot lately. 

I have read a lot about the front cannons being covered.

I found a site that listed all the Australian planes, and the bits they were all made up of. When one crashed it was salvaged as much as possible. They were hybrids of what they could get their hands on. 

🐧

Edited by FPDPenguin

On 01/09/2019 at 00:45, FPDPenguin said:

No sadly I don't have the rockets. Something I will try and scratch build I suppose

The Tamiya Beaufighter kit comes with rockets and plates in all the boxings,  so plenty out there in spares box land,  try asking in the Wanted section,  someone will have them. 

HTH

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2019 at 22:10, Troy Smith said:

The Tamiya Beaufighter kit comes with rockets and plates in all the boxings,  so plenty out there in spares box land,  try asking in the Wanted section,  someone will have them. 

HTH

Your tip worked, and with much thanks to @Lawzer I've now got some rockets. 

• Like 3

I've painted the front canopy black and glued it on to protect all the work done inside the cockpit. I'll cover it in newspaper when I spray the outside then hand paint the top coat of grey/blue over the black and run a cocktail stick round the edges to tidy up any mistakes. 

The tail is back on. Just popped a bit of metal wire in. 

Having some food then ill assemble the what took like, very fiddly landing gears. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

You are making an excellent job of this. Was there any fit issues? I have this kit to do later.

Errr not that I've run into at the moment. Or that I recall being a real issue. The front canopy needs a little work to get it to fit flush with the frame. But nothing some vary careful nipping away with a 10a won't solve. 

Oh there was a small gap in the nose, but I slid a tiny bit of plasticard into it, glued it and trimmed it back. Was probably only half a mm

• Like 2

Well, I was supposed to get to my bench on Sunday, but my pregnant better 3/4s was in a lot of pain so off to A&E which took 12 hours from start to finish. But that's a different discussion all together. 

Anywho. Last night I tackled the landing gears. Quite a tricky little part. 

Some advice to anyone building this kit, some of the middle brace parts can be push fit into the struts of the legs if you don't remove the tiny bit of flash on the ends. It's holds together quite well for gluing. 

20191223_214127

20191223_214141

20191223_215623

I was initially a bit sceptical about the strength of the gear, and considered taking it apart and adding metal rod. But once it come together and was pushed very tightly into the gear well it seemed quite sturdy. 

2019-12-24_01-32-44

2019-12-24_01-32-56

I put the props together whilst waiting for the gears to dry. 

Now for small paint jobs like exhaust etc. I didn't save any of the mix of colour from the top grey/blue for the canopies, so I may just paint them black. Unless I can sort of match the colour. I don't know. Rookie mistake there. 😔

Also the top colour has dried quite dark, don't know if it will be to dark to pick out any details. Respray??? 

Thoughts? 

• Like 6

As mentioned above @Lawzer kindly sent me some rockets for this project. So while I will use the kit decals it won't be historically accurate. But I'm learning stuff with each of these builds I do. Sometimes the hard way. This is the first time using proper PE stuff and some kit modifications. So... Whilst the finished result may not be accurate, its all practice for me. 

• Like 2

Hi your progressing well with this one. I still have yet to start mine and have a few more Kits to complete before I can start.  I do hope your partner is okay and hope you both had a great Christmas.  

Have you checked out @tonyot's excellent build of this kit, I will use it for my build as I will yours too. 

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your experience.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up with this. I must say yours has gone together a lot better than the one I did. I'm doing 2 Tamiya ones at the moment. It's a much more basic kit but at least you know it will be an easy build.

This will be stunning when you have finished it.

All the best

Dick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenko said:

Just caught up with this. I must say yours has gone together a lot better than the one I did. I'm doing 2 Tamiya ones at the moment. It's a much more basic kit but at least you know it will be an easy build.

This will be stunning when you have finished it.

All the best

Dick

I have spotted your build and have been dropping in to see your great work on them too. 

• Like 1

Had a bash at this here oil paint washes. Tried it out on a 1/72nd gloster meteor and it went pretty well. Although the rattle car silver has pitted a little. 

Anyway. First attempts

IMG-20191231-WA0010 IMG-20191231-WA0012

I went pretty lightly so I can always build up more if need be. I'll probably still use my old techniques with chalk pastels too. 

As mentioned before, the top surface has dried a lot darker than I would have liked. Although the picture doesn't look as dark as it is in real life. 

IMG-20191231-WA0014

It's also had a gloss coat. Could I respray a lighter colour over this without any troubles? Would be revell aqua color paint. The gloss coat is also revell aqua. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FPDPenguin said:

As mentioned before, the top surface has dried a lot darker than I would have liked. Although the picture doesn't look as dark as it is in real life. 

It is Extra Dark Sea Grey after all. It should be dark.

Looks good to me.

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

It is Extra Dark Sea Grey after all. It should be dark.

Looks good to me.

Chris

OK, how would you suggest getting a similar effect on the top surface as the bottom, considering its quite dark? 

Genuine question 

Edit:

Also added some pastels to the bottom surface 

2019-12-31_09-13-49

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, FPDPenguin said:

OK, how would you suggest getting a similar effect on the top surface as the bottom, considering its quite dark? 

Well, ya got me there!

Chris

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Well, ya got me there!

Chris

My oil paint set has some blues in there that I could maybe lighten the middles of panels? Would save a respray? Or is lighting dark colours as hard as it sounds? 

• 1 month later...

Managed to get an hour on this last night to put some panel line accents on the top surface. 

20200225_193331

20200225_193318

In a different light you can see the blue tint to the paint

20200225_172057

I've lost the clear part that goes in the wing for the lights. So going to have to search the spares box for a suitable replacement. 

🐧

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

This has been on the shelf for ages. What better time now than to get it sorted. Made some lamps and popped a bar in the wing.

2020-05-15_06-30-05

@Lawzerkindlyy donated some rockets. So finally we've gone costal! 

20200515_181835 20200515_182004

I can't seem to get anything to stick around the lights in the wing (I've lost the part) put I've looked that ones with rockets had the lenses covered over. 

I'm not going to glue the cockpit canopy down. Just rest it on top as I'd like to see the details. 

Now for the radio wire. My least favourite bit. 

• Like 5

Looking great, re the light you could use celotape it will give you a very clear light provided you don't have a fingerprint on the sticky side.  Check out @AdrianMF current build thread for a celotape light if I recall, unless I am having a senior moment.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

The tape method works well because it’s so thin you don’t need to cut a recess for it. If you have a ledge for the clear bit you might be better off with a thicker light cover.

If you can find a bit of clear packaging, cut a strip about 5cm x 1cm and heat it over a candle until it goes floppy, then hold each end and pull it over the leading edge of the wing outboard of where your light is and hold it there a few seconds until it has cooled. You can then cut it down to fit in the recess. 

But as you say, I read somewhere that the rocket Beaufighters had their landing lights plated over.

Nice build by the way! That underside weathering looks smashing and the whole model looks really neat.

[edit and I note your reduced rate of progress - I hope you are enjoying your new baby!]

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1