Revel 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter

This has been sat underneath my sofa in the box for a while. Yea I keep my modelling stuff in boxes and trays under the sofa. I can slide em out when I want to work on them and slide them back under again when I've finished for the night. 

Anyway, I've got the eduard zoom photo etch kit for this, although I'm going to chicken out on some of the levers and stuff. I've not got the proper tools to put all of the PE in, but using the basic big stuff should help improve this one. 

20190810_182944 20190810_182958

It goes together fast, and really well. Has plenty of little details too. 

20190810_193041

Dry fit testing 

20190810_193044

The blue hue is from the LED lights under the TV. The plastic is regular revel pale grey. 

20190810_183011

Some cockpit goodies

20190810_212913 20190810_212922 20190810_212940 20190810_213011

Black based the interior. About to paint it all green in a moment. 

In the last pic, the kit gives you the option of another bulkhead or this part, with circular bit on it and what look like air tanks or fire extinguishers. Anyone know? 

20190810_213023

I've also made off to the shed with the wife's hair dryer. Works wonders for quickly drying a layer and airbrushing more on. 

More soon.

Thanks for stopping by

• Like 7

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooooo this looks good, great work so far, I have one in the stash too. Will pop in to keep an eye on progress, to see how it all goes together.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

The kit goes together rather quickly and very easily. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NigelD said:

I think that the circular things are Lewis gun magazines. 

Nigel 

Not a Lewis but a Vicker VGO or a K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_K_machine_gun

Though by the time Beaufighters were being manufactured with the dorsal gun, it would have been fitted with a Browning.

48068176947_6b1b2a67f2_b.jpg

48512649452_5f6f173a87_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Wow you’re a fast builder, I would have opened the box and cut the major items off the sprues in the time you’ve taken to get this far. 

Great interior.

John

PS I have my own modelling hair dryer since SWMBO decided that she needed a new Dyson Turbo type  some time ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow you’re a fast builder, I would have opened the box and cut the major items off the sprues in the time you’ve taken to get this far. 

Great interior.

John

PS I have my own modelling hair dryer since SWMBO decided that she needed a new Dyson Turbo type  some time ago.

I was informed last night that I can keep the hair dryer.... Condition being that I purchase a new one. I wonder if she will be happy with an argos special? 

The kit actually goes together quite fast. And with very little clean up of parts and plenty of detail I've not had to scratch build anything. 

• Like 2

Decided that the pilot entry way thingy needed some details. So added the grab rails as per some photos I found on Google. 

20190813_191825 20190813_195359 20190813_195536

Just build from some 1mm tube and. 5mm tube. 

I'm at a loss what to do next. I'd like to have both the pilot and gunner door posed open. But if I add the torpedo the doors must be closed. 

I'm lead to believe that the base plates for the rocket version is in the kit. As in the part that attached to the wing. Just not the guide rails the rockets wouldve run on. 

2019-08-13_08-14-00

I guess I could always scratch build this part too? Ideas and suggestions welcome. 

Thanks for popping in

🐧

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

OK I forgot to turn my work alarm off, so I was up before sunrise today. I could have, and probably should have gone into work for the overtime, but I decided to chill out at home. Within the hour I was bored and decided to have a go at a bit more of this. 

I recently spilled IPA on a canberra I was working on, and in my haste made a right pigs ear of teying to tidy it up, ended up ruined.

Save able, but I slung it in the box, and kicked it under the sofa before it became modern art. I remained angry with myself all week. 

Anyway. I got to work putting the engine interiors in and flaps etc. 

20190831_152731

20190831_152727

I've opted to open both crew doors, for the rearmost door I had to cut the part in half and round the moving part off so it would... Well, move. You can see it curve off into the body, but when it's turned right side upwards it hangs down of its own accord and the curved gap can't be seen. 

20190831_202848

The forward door was simply added in and not glued. 

20190831_202945

The usual tape brace to hold the wings in place to be glued. 

20190831_203017

Theres a nasty gap at the front. I've sanded down the inside and it's actually flush, I've added some bits of shaved sprue and glue to the holes. Will fill them where needed. 

Should be ready to start on the gaps now. I'll post pics later if I don't get to tired. 

Cheers

🐧

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 4

On 13/08/2019 at 13:15, FPDPenguin said:

I'm lead to believe that the base plates for the rocket version is in the kit. As in the part that attached to the wing. Just not the guide rails the rockets wouldve run on. 

2019-08-13_08-14-00

I guess I could always scratch build this part too? Ideas and suggestions welcome. 

Thanks for popping in

🐧

Yes, the base plates are in the kit, on the same sprue ( Y ) as the thimble-nose. While looking at the kit here,  https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Bristol-Beaufighter-TF.-X.html, I noticed that no rockets or their rails are included.

If there are rockets and rails in your ki, please do not fit both rockets and torpedo. It was either one or the other, never both.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Been working 12 hour days, 6 days a week for the past few weeks. So haven't had much time to do anything.

I'm going to ditch the Australian idea and just go with the kit paint scheme amd decals. Although I like the look of the one with the modified tail, but I've already fitted the snub nose instead of the longer one.

I've also added the longer engine intakes as I liked the look of the more than the shorter ones. Might still make the rockets as a side project.

• Like 1

Tail section complete.

20190930_194522

I was wiggling the rudder around and predictably it snapped off. The little bits it is supposed to pivot on are very small and flimsy. So I'll be drilling it out and putting some brass tube in, with a rod for it to pivot on

20190930_195639

20190930_195834

The rear control surfaces area little to mobile, and I fear they will move around when airbrushing. So I may have to tape them when I get around to painting them. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Nice quick build. I may have missed this in other builds before, but the nose cannons seem to have been covered and then doped with a dark colour, is this red dope?

Don

Yes, red dope.

Chris