* In Brave Company *

JockMcPlock

Hello all,

Popping my proverbial head in the door!

I've jumped on here to gather information and recommendations that will assist me in a project that I am about to undertake.

My aim is to create a full squadron of World War Two Halifax Bombers, 52 in total, that covers the period of which my grandfather was a pilot in the squadron.

I will actually create 56 Halifaxes. 52 in 1/72 scale and 4 in 1/48 scale.

The larger four being the most pertinent ones that my grandfather flew on operations - including the one he blew up...

The squadron is the 158 Squadron out of RAF Lissett in Yorkshire and will cover a period from summer to winter of 1944.

I'm by no means an experienced modeller - I just bought an Airfix Starter Spitfire to see just how far off I was since I last made one when I was about 10 years old, and after the research I've done on the 1/48 scale halifaxes I have, I see I will be in for a tough time of it, but I'll get there in the end.

That's me for now...

Mac

• Like 3

:welcome: aboard Mac.  Quite an undertaking.  Even finding four 1:48 Halibags might be a struggle these days.  I wish someone would give us a nice new tooling in 1:48 soon :pray:

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard Mac.  Quite an undertaking.  Even finding four 1:48 Halibags might be a struggle these days.  I wish someone would give us a nice new tooling in 1:48 soon :pray:

I've already got the four 1/48 kits and about twenty 1/72s, so I'm getting there. 

I quite agree though, with the only two 1/48 Halifax kits out there (I only found two - there may be more), they both seem poor kits, so a new run would be good.

Just now, Silver Fox said:

Quite an undertaking, good luck. I suppose you have seen the fabulous memorial at the Lissett site? It is marvellous to see it  at dawn or dusk. when the sun is in the right place. 

Indeed I have, and great for them to actually do something a little more beyond a granite slab with a few lines, though its such a shame to see the rest of the airfield crumble.

A nice touch also from the wind turbines that have been placed to be named after some of the aircraft.

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Mac... :post1: from Chicago USA. That is quite an ambitious project, i hope to see you get some if not all of them completed. 

Dennis

Thanks very much! 

I tend to get over ambitious but I'm determined on this front.

Edited by JockMcPlock
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ijs302 said:

the best of luck with your epic task , my grandfather and his brother were both in the raf during the war and served with 35 sqn which i hope to build a halifax to remember them by

Thank you, and that's a great momento to remember their time there.

2 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Which kit(s) are you using for the 1/72 scale ones?

Oh I've collected old and new, Airfix and Revell.

I have considered doing what i've been doing, picking them up for £10 a piece on eBay, or just placing an order somewhere for the remaining 30 of a new kit that may be better made.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

I didn't originally start out with this as the plan in mind. I have a terrible eBay addiction and so from buying one, it turned into many, and with so many, I thought I would put them to use rather than sell or leave in the vault of stuff. I actually have a tonne of other models too that I have no idea when I'll get round to. 

1 minute ago, Duncan B said:

That's some project you have planned there, good luck with it. You will find lots of helpful folk on here who'll be really happy to help you with anything you might need to know.

Duncan B

Thank you very much.

I only started on this forum yesterday and already people have stepped forward and offering to lend a hand and doing some research for me to get things moving.

Humbling Sir, humbling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Best of luck. Can't wait to see how this one turn out. Where are you going to keep/display them all? 

I've had to start taking books to the charity shop to make spaces on the shelves. 😂

Thank you very much.

I have a few outbuildings, one of which I can renovate in to a display building.

We have a selection of military history throughout the generations so it would be a fine idea for the family to have our own museum as such.

• Like 1