1977 - Bandai X-wing in 1/72

I still have said X-wing with battle damage stickers - which I was allowed to put on.. My folks finally made me clear a load of stuff from their place earlier in the year and this was one of the items I rescued. Looking a bit worse for wear now.

Pwn1WISl.jpg?1KcE6q00l.jpg

• Like 5

You're doing a great job with your X wing, 

Can you tell me what type/make of paint you are using on this Bandai kit? I have a few Bandai kits in my stash but I'm worried about the affect that some type of paint have on the plastic. 

Karl

Edited by Karl

On 15/09/2019 at 18:57, Karl said:

You're doing a great job with your X wing, 

Can you tell me what type/make of paint you are using on this Bandai kit? I have a few Bandai kits in my stash but I'm worried about the affect that some type of paint have on the plastic. 

Karl

Thanks Karl. So far all Tamiya "acrylic" thinned with Isopropyl. The metallics will be Vallejo, just cos that's what I've got in the box. Oh, and the primer was Tamiya too, straight from the can. I've noticed no ill effects. 

W-D 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

I had the battle damage x-wing too. It was an Christmas pressie and wasn’t allowed to put the battle damage stickers on as they would ruin the underneath red stickers. 

I remember 1980 something getting shouted at on Christmas Day for doing that 

• Haha 4

How do. 

Right, I've finally finished painting the various panels as well as the metallic parts of the engines and exhausts. I'll not show you every component cos you e better things to do with your time(?), but by way of example:

Painted Painted

Painted

It's still a bit "bright" but weathering stages should help there. 

The next stage was to get into the cockpit. As I mentioned earlier, I've no idea what colour it's meant to be so went with neutral grey and a fairly heavy, lighter grey dry brush. Thin black wash, and picked out a few random details for interest. The instruments are the only decals I've used. They went on alright but didn't fit where they were supposed to go. It's waiting a matt varnish in the pictures so a bit shiny. 

Painted

Painted

Painted

Obviously, we need a pilot (also still needing a matt coat). 

Painted

So now to start weathering a bit. I'll use a grey/blue enamel wash on some panel lines/details but with no gloss coat so it stains the paint work a bit. Then I think I'll build the airframe up before a dirtier wash and some streaking and chips. I'll see how it goes. 

Cheers for now. 

W-D 

• Like 7

Thanks for the encouragement, folks 👍 Seems I'm getting into a pattern of a weekly update on this one.... 

This week, i have mostly been starting an S&M Canberra and not finishing this x-wing! Some progress though. Stage 1 of the weathering is done. A "panel line" wash of darkish grey on every line or raised detail and I did really try to get into every one. Not my usual approach as I prefer something a bit more selective...  Anyway, it's a basis for more specific washes and stains next. I matt varnished the whole thing at this point too. I won't do that again now to get some variation in finishes on the surface. 

Weathering Part 1 Weathering Part 1 Weathering Part 1 Weathering Part 1

It's already taken some of the starkness out of some of the colours which is good. Next a dirtier wash for engines and the bits I think would have got really dirty. Then some smoke or thin black stains, chipping and such before I put it together. 

Ciao for now. 

W-D 

• Like 7

Weekly updates are fine and I’m tending to do the same thing with some of my GB builds as well. Nice progress pics and some great detail highlighting going on there. Good luck with the Canberra as well. I started a S&M kit however didn’t get too far into the build. I’ll pick it up again one day.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

I can see why, Dave... It's been a bit of a pig so far to be frank. Shape's good and there's some neat ideas but it simply doesn't fit... I see some builds on here were more successful so maybe it's me but if so I went very wrong very quickly.... Ho hum. 

W-D 

• Like 1

I found the trailing edges way too thick and have spent many an hour thinning these down and rescribing over and over again. I’m sure I’ll pick mine up again one day however it’s not quite the holy grail for 1/72 Canberra’s that we were all hoping for. Having said all that, it’s a good starting point so we probably shouldn’t knock it too much - we are supposed to be modellers after all! 

Cheers.. Dave

On 04/10/2019 at 03:03, Rabbit Leader said:

not quite the holy grail for 1/72 Canberra’s that we were all hoping for

True, dat. I have mine together now and I've filed, trimmed, filled and sanded as much as I can be arshed with. It'll do me now. Oh, and I have used my body weight in lead and filled every orifice. Still not enough.... 😂 

Anyway, this thread is s'posed to be about an x-wing, so where was I? Yes, weathering. I next added some more streaks, leaks and oily grime round the engines using various oil colours. As with other aspects I deliberately went more brash and bright than I normally would (quite enjoyed that....). I also targeted some blaxk/brown paint on areas such as in the recesses round the engines, the rear areas and such. 

, ,

I then began to put the parts together (no glue), hoping the fact I'd all but completed the whole thing in separate parts wouldn't mean they'd look like that when brought together as a whole. 

, , ,

In deference to the posts above of the "battle damaged" version from our childhood, I added some minor laser blast damage on the s-foils (wings). Just about managed not to go too far there - maybe a bit... Anyway, some "all done" shots:

, , , , , ,

So that's it. My entry to this most excellent group build (my first), is my first sci-fi build using some new techniques to me. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, especially having chosen not to use any decals (bar the instruments and luke's helmet). I'll stick a couple of pics in the gallery. 

Many thanks to the hosts and fellow builders for commenting. Good luck completing your builds 😉 

W-D 

• Like 10

Cheers Dennis. My original plan for this was to try and do Barry Sheene's Championship winning RGA500 suzuki (last title win in '77).

There is a matchbox kit but it's costa-fortunum, verging on the unobtanium these days. I was going down the route of converting Tamiya' s later model RGB500, but I'm not sure if I can get it close enough to pass and I'd have to freestyle the paint scheme... Maybe one day. 

Mick.. 

• Like 1

Well done on two counts W-D, first for this beautifully completed model and second, taking part in your very first BM GB. I'm so glad you decided to give this one a go and now you can sit back and admire an excellent memento from the year that you were born (well the movie anyway!). Barry Sheens winning Suzuki would also be another great addition although I hear you about its rarity and thereafter cost! 

Cheers and thanks so much for taking part, the X-Wing looks fantastic.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, Wonky Donkey said:

If I get fed up of all this jeffing masking Joel, it'll certainly be going in a swamp.. 

Technically, I think Yoda raised it from the swamp. Failed, young Skywalker did. Mm. 

W-D 

This is a great thread, great work! Really helping me with my X-Wing builds over on Sc-Fi etc GB. I thought Yoda raised it too, was it not ESB tho hehe 

keep this up its cracking!!

• Thanks 1