1977 - Bandai X-wing in 1/72

Hi all

I'm a little late getting organised cos I've got a couple of other builds on the bench... 

However, I'm sorting myself out a bit now... 

In 1977, star wars hit the big screens. Obviously I don't remember it first time round but I'm a pretty big fan, as are my boys. All the ships /vehicles are pretty iconic but there's one that stands out...

So I'm building Bandai's X-wing. There's hundreds of build threads for this kit or variants of it, in the space/sci-fi section, most of them expertly done, but I've never built any space/sci-fi kits so it's a first for me. I'll do the Skywalker/R2-D2 version 'cos my kids wouldn't forgive me if I don't. 

Just in case you're from a galaxy far far away, this is it:

DSC_2649

Th sprues are moulded in multiple colours - which would be good to see from some other companies too. This one has four including clear.. 

DSC_2652

You get your own section of Death Star - 2 in fact - one as part of the stand and the other enables you to do the attack on the thermal exhaust port scene. I'll use the stand but probably not the exhaust port one due to shelf space. 

DSC_2651

The instructions are very... Japanese.. 😂 

DSC_2650

Here we go then.. 

W-D

• Like 11

Cheers fellas. 

For some reason I decided to finish the stand and base first.. 🤷‍♂️ 

There's possibly some method in that, cos I've not worked with bandai plastic before, and it's a piece I can complete and put away now til the end. 

Death Star is "grey".... Unusually for me I primed it in black and then used thinish tamiya primer as the top coat. Looks alright to me, anyway. Bit of weathering to emphasise the details and so it looks dirty but not knackered given it was just finished when Luke blew it up. 

Stand itself I left black cos its not really there - it's just space, innit... 

Death star base.

Death star base.

I've decided to paint as many of the markings as I can rather than use decals and invested in  a Green Strawberry mask set which will help. I need to decide how weathered - or more like battered - I want to go with this. 

I'll put together as many sub-assemblies as I can next so I can paint them in one session. I'm keen to use the snap together nature of the kit as much as I can, but there might be bits need a hand with some cement,and well see how we go re the need for any filler. 

May the force be with you.. 

W-D 

• Like 7

A belated warm welcome Wonkey Donkey (I love that name!). This is something I didn’t quite expect however like the Star Trek Enterprise build on here, very fitting as a Year I was born build. Thanks for joining and I hope that you (and the kids) end up with a great X-Wing once completed.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wonky Donkey said:

No real progress to report - still clearing other projects. Hopefully this weekend. 

I think you can repeat this line for many builds at the moment... I'm guilty as charged as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

.... I've got 'til November, right? 😂 

W-D 

Yep.. the 22nd and I think I’ll need every hour up until then. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The Force is strong at the moment. I scored the 1/48 Fine Molds  X wing last week ready for the movie Group build in September. 

If the Force is with this build there should be enough time. 

Colin 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Watcha

So, finally some progress to report on this. I've got a couple of lingering projects off the bench and can get on with the x-wing. 👍 

I spent a fair while contemplating how to approach this. How much construction to do before painting? What the right "white" would be, how weathered do I want it? Should I use the decals or paint as many of the markings as I can? And all that. 

I think the way that will work best is to build up as many large sub-assemblies as I can but stop short of final assembly before priming and painting. With careful clean up, that all happened pretty quickly and I now have a pile of bits stuck on sticks to get primed:

Ready for primer

I have to say the detail of the parts is very impressive, as is the effectiveness of the snap together approach. I did add a dab of glue to one or two bits, but literally only the odd spot here and there for extra security. A thing or two for other manufacturers to take note of, I'd suggest (although admittedly the shape of the x-wing does lend itself to solid mounting points which some aircraft etc kits wouldn't, I guess). 

Ready for primer

Unusually for me, I'll prime this in black and then try and layer the white on quite thinly to make it appear worn. That's the idea anyway - I'm usually too risk averse here and end up with quite a uniform top coat, but I ll have a bash.. 

Anyway, off to prime the thing. Cheers for now. 

W-D 

• Like 4

Ok, so far so good. 

Black primer (except Luke and R2 who got white) and a random overspray of the top colour (tamiya white, few drops of buff and some light gull grey). 

Marbling..

Marbling..

Next a top coat, which I have to keep thin and light (notes to self!) and I can start some detail painting on the pilot and R2. 

W-D 

• Like 7

I now have a top coat of "off-white" on which I'm reasonably happy with. Looks worn without looking knackered. 

DSC_2771 DSC_2772 DSC_2773

I also spent too long painting Luke and R2 given they'll be hard to see when it's finished. Forgot to photograph them though - next time. 

OK, next is to paint the cockpit and add decals for the instruments and displays. Not immediately clear what colour to do the interior. Balance of probability it's the same as the outside from movie stills, but I went with neutral grey. 

Then mask and paint the myriad random panels around the airframe. There's a surprising amount of colours involved, using the decal sheet as the basis:

Red

Yellow 

Buff

Light tan 

Numerous greys - I reckon neutral grey, rlm02, EDSG-ish, a sort of blue-ish grey, maybe a light grey too... 

Metallica for engine and exhausts. 

Best check the stocks of masking tape... 

W-D 

• Like 7

Can't remember which make but didn't somebody do a "battle damaged" version of the X Wing?  If I remember correctly the "damage" consisted of a few stickers.

Interesting kit and a lot more detail than I expected.

Pete

On 9/10/2019 at 10:03 AM, Wonky Donkey said:

Metallica for engine and exhausts. 

spacer.png

Seems a little later than '77, but it's your model 😄

On 9/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Wonky Donkey said:

didn't somebody do a "battle damaged" version of the X Wing?  If I remember correctly the "damage" consisted of a few stickers.

In 1982 during the height of the original toy line's run Kenner re-released the X-Wing with "battle damage" stickers. A battle-damaged TIE followed in 1983:

Battle Damaged X-Wing

Battle Damaged TIE

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

🤘.... 

Bloody predictive text 

Anyway, this week (or is it a decade...?) I have mostly been masking random panels.... There's a lot to mask for sometimes just one tiny panel. For example, in addition to the "white", there are 5 colours on this side of the upper fuselage panel with two still to go (soz for the pic quality here):

DSC_2774

I've added some chipping with maskol. Looks quite stark at the minute but I'm hoping once it's got weathering and varnish on it won't. I decided not to chip each and every panel. Firstly, not every panel would get worn I guess, and second it presumes they're painted. So a couple of the colours - the buff and one of the greys - I've left them "clean" as if they're made of some other unobtainium type material. Just for amusement really. 

Truthfully, I don't recall the original being quite so colourful. I did flick through some scenes on the film when I really started to doubt things, and to be honest it's hard to tell. Bit more to go yet, but we're getting there.

Oh, and here's Senor D2. I painted him rather than use decals as I doubted they'd conform. Hence the lack of straight edges... 😂 

DSC_2775

Ciao the now

W-D 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Joel Abery said:

Im wondering if you are going to do a diorama of Luke rasing it from the swamp as in the return of the Jedi is it

If I get fed up of all this jeffing masking Joel, it'll certainly be going in a swamp.. 

Technically, I think Yoda raised it from the swamp. Failed, young Skywalker did. Mm. 

W-D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

spacer.png

Seems a little later than '77, but it's your model 😄

In 1982 during the height of the original toy line's run Kenner re-released the X-Wing with "battle damage" stickers. A battle-damaged TIE followed in 1983:

Battle Damaged X-Wing

Battle Damaged TIE

And I had both of them, I was eleven and as big a star wars geek as i am now. 

Dennis