This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Patrik

Hawker Turret Demon rear cockpit

Patrik,

I don't have any frame drawings for the radial engined versions but I I have noticed that the forwards cabane struts appear to be shorter on the radial versions indicating that the top longeron tubes behind the firewall are parallel to the fuselage datum and therefore not sloped down as on the Kestrel versions. The other frame changes are the gun mountings.   Bristol engines tend to have similar circular plate mountings carried on tubular frames, fixed to the firewall.

There might be some information from Swedish sources and I would be pleased to see any build or restoration pictures which might be available.

John

I am sorry, John, you may have misunderstood my questions, I apologize for not expressing myself clearly. I am convinced that the frames differed between the in-line and radial versions. The question was, if it would be safe to assume that the frames of e.g. Swedish Hart and Persian Hind were identical,

Patrik 

Patrik

As usual I've found some information in my own library. Re post 26 the only one I've found with the shorter forwards cabane struts is in fact the PV.4 (so out of the scope of this discussion).

I have found an excellent cutaway by Tordtsein Landstrom which confirms that the Swedish Hart has the same identical frame, aft of the firewall as other versions. On some photos of other radial versions the extra bulkiness of the fuselage to fair in the wider spaced and re-positioned guns make the cabane struts look different. I would have to agree that the engine mountings of Pegasus and Mercury versions would have been much the same as the crankcases and mounting ring of these two engines are virtually the same.

John