This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Patrik

Hawker Turret Demon rear cockpit

Posted (edited)

Preparing for one of my next builds, I compared - out of pure curiosity - the fuselage of Kora 1/72 Turret Demon with the Granger drawings and was badly surprised by the difference in the length of the rear cockpit cutout.

DSC-0180.jpg

Because the Kora Hart family seems to me to be quite well researched, I dug out the Aviation News drawings (Colin Owen). Principally the same difference, however the drawings are evidently the worst of all three I have.

DSC-0194.jpg

I took out the Mushroom drawings (very nice) and voila, seems that Kora guys used either the Mushroom drawings or some analogical source during the kit construction.

DSC-0197.jpg

OK, I decided to make some measurements of the real stuff using the photographic references, and guess what? Granger is once again right. Only this time it is Alfred, not Hermione.

The correction is not going to be difficult, but I thought sharing the info with you would do no harm.

Edited by Patrik

Patrik,

Looking at the fuselage half and the drawings you have posted, I think I would be more concerned with the excess length of the nose and  rear fuselage, as it also appears the location of the horizontal stabilizer/rear fuselage length  on the kit is not right. Looks the rear fuselage is too long? Neat-looking  Demon variant, though! Do you have the Airfix kit? If so, how do the cockpit locations and overall length match the drawings you have? Just curious, especially as Airfix is re-releasing their 1/72 Demon and Bulldog kits.

Mike

@72modeler The fuselage is fine, Mike. It is spot on the Granger drawings and they are spot on the 29 ft 7 in length, quoted for the Demon. It is: A. partly the central prospective playing the trick above, and B. mainly the fact that the Mushroom drawings are somehow lacking in the overall length, more than on feet😟. Do not ask me why, however thanks a lot for spotting it. Fortunately, the Kora kit seems to be inspired by it just in the rear cockpit area (and most probably in the panel lines). Nevertheless, I will be far more careful when using the Mushroom drawings from now on.

I had the Airfix Demon kit, but sold it many years ago. I would not remember, if the dimensions were right, though. If you need THE Demon, look for the Aeroclub kit. Short run with white metal parts, but builds into real beauty.

DSC-0195.jpg

@Graham Boak The turret looks lovely, in my opinion.

DSC-0190.jpg

Patrik,

Whew! Glad to hear the kit's dimensions are OK. I have the Aeroclub and Airfix Demon kits, plus a Model Alliance decal sheet. I will be curious to see how the molds have held up when Airfix re-releases their Demon, Bulldog, and Heron kits - bet the decals will be a lot nicer! I think there are many out there that would like new-tools of their classic kits, but it is what it is. Guess I might need to get the Kora kit, but they are soooo pricey here across the pond! Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses, and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Mike

I have that Kora Turret Demon kit - thank you for pointing this out! It doesn't look too hard to fix. I may kit bash this kit with one of my Aeroclub Hart/Audaxes, and just use the fuselage as a sort of conversion piece (and whatever other bits and bobs I fancy using from the Kora kit). One thing I love about the old Aeroclub Hart series is the one piece lower wing - makes it much easier to get the dihedral and wing placement correct.

Regards,

Jason

Blimey! So far I have not considered scratchbuilding the more or less invisible interior part of the turret. After seeing these photos, I will have to.

Thank you, Pete.