Sd.Kfz 9 Famo camo

Phil1960

Hi all.

Many years ago Tamiya catalogue was used with a a two lovely and really apreciated habits:

- Verlinden dioramas (any news about him?);

- unusual camouflage on vehicles and Afv's.

In particular, I remember there was a DAK Famo or A Sd.kfz 7 with a red brown splinter camo on a dunkelgelb base. Unfortunately I lost that catalogue.

My question is: do you know about pics with this interesting splinter camo on Dak halftracks?

Many thanks in advance.

Ciao

Filippo   

Kubelwagen_SdKfz_7_DAK.jpg

AK profile this vehicle and it's distinct camouflage as a Luftwaffe flak unit attached to 15. Panzer Div. so not really a DAK style camouflage:

T7qB5Xp.png

http://www.elcazadorlibros.com.ar/detalle.php3?titulo=DAK colors profile guide&subrubro=24&rubro=1&expand=SI&articulo=1777&perfil=&marca=

Similar colour plate profile in Rommels' Tanks publication from Wydawnictwo book:

gwyeRVE.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Verlinden, they closed shop three years ago - business was not sold. 

regards,

Jack

Hi JackG, many thanks for your answer. Being a Luftwaffe unit I presume that no Famo was attached to the unit as it was used to tow sonderhanger with wrecked tanks but no flak gun. Or not?.🤔

ciao filippo

There's a compiled list of prime movers and what weapon types they were intended to tow here;

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/what-vehicle-pulled-the-2cm-flakvierling-t19065.html

For a mobile Luftwaffe unit, the heaviest flak gun would be the 8.8cm, and on paper, the SdKfz. 7 would be assigned to tow this.  Now if the Luftwaffe unit has armoured vehicles like Herman Goering for example, then yes, it's likely to have the Famo.   Limiting the setting to Africa, it's possible HG had the famo since this unit did deploy a few companies of self-propelled guns, but cannot say for certain.   Photo proof is likely rare, as I'm sure model companies and book publications would have been all over this.

regards,

Jack

Hi JackG, you’re right!. Many thanks for the ML list. I knew it but my idea was a huge project: a Famo + trailer + a wrecked  Pzkpfw IV and that camo was very interesting to me. I think I’ll find another camo! 😫

Ciao F