Tales from the Dark Side Part II - AML-60

Tiger331

Hi folks,

Buoyed by my success on the 'dark side' with a recent Hungarian T-72M project (see Ready for Inspection), I have now started work on a Takom AML-60 light armoured car. I have acquired (thanks, Julien !) some Blast Models aftermarket with which to correct or embellish the basic kit. As I mentioned in my previous thread, I am new to the world of AFVs/Armour having not dabbled for 35+ years. During the intervening period, my main interest has been in Post-War aircraft but I have decided to diversify and try out some armour projects - again, I will be focusing on Post-War 'colonial war' type subjects and the Balkans. I have yet to decide on the finish for this AML-60 but its likely to be one of the Spanish Sahara subjects from the box. Anyway, I've made a start and already found the fit to be subliminal so I am looking forward to a quick build to maintain my new found enthusiasm for the genre.

fullsizeoutput_13d3

The raw materials

fullsizeoutput_13d4

The Blast Models sets including the all-important correctly sized wheels

fullsizeoutput_13d5

fullsizeoutput_13d6

I'm not sure what I will do with the 5 x kit tyres.......probably keep them to build a Middle East style barricade for some future diorama project.

fullsizeoutput_13d7

My modest start from earlier this morning...........More to follow in due course.

Mark

• Like 7

Day 2 - Taking advantage of a wet day here in Tallinn to make some progress on the AML-60. I have learnt quick quickly that I cannot deviate too far from the assembly sequence and certainly not as much as I do with my aircraft builds. Having said that, I have made one or two deviations based on some challenges with the Takom instructions. They would have you cement the rear springs (Parts E28 & E27) at Stages 3 and 7 respectively but the rear axles are not cemented in place until Stage 8 which would make it difficult to align the springs. I found it better to cement the axle assemblies (from Stage 8 (A-D)) first and then cement the springs in place afterwards. It looks fiddly but the springs can actually be put in place quite easily and at least have both 'reference points' for affixing in place. I have also left the front axle assembly (G9/38/39) off until later in the build since it is quite fragile and liable to break if cemented at Stage 4/5, as suggested. I'm not sure if I am going to use the Blast Models hull doors yet but since I may leave at least one ajar, I thought it best to do a basic box in of the main cabin. I am not doing anything fancy since I will not leave the doors wide open.

fullsizeoutput_13dd

Boxed in floor and bulkhead. just to prevent any 'daylight' if I decide to leave one of the Blast Models aftermarket doors (which have nice interior detail) ajar.

fullsizeoutput_13de

The aforementioned springs in place.

More to follow in due course

• Like 5

Looking good. The Blast wheels are a must I have built 3 of the AML90/60 from Takom and they are a great kit except for the wheels. I used the Blast on my last build and was very happy with them. 

Looking forward to the end result. 

Edited by BKirwan

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

Apologies for the long gap between progress posts but summer holidays and work got in the way of moving on with this project. I'm now back up to speed and have managed to put in a few longish sessions as I near completion of the initial build sequence.

fullsizeoutput_140a

Quite a bit of the bodywork now complete. Care needs to be taken with the mounting of the front 'mudguards'.....I probably did not need to use quite as much filler as the photo would suggest, but there is a lack of locating points for the front 'fenders'. That said, its been a pretty faultless build so far.

fullsizeoutput_1410

I have fitted the left hand side door but will use a Blast models door for the right hand side, which will be left slightly ajar to show off the detail on the inner surface of the door (but not the main cabin, which is boxed in but devoid of any other detail)

fullsizeoutput_140d

I have also made a start on the turret which fits nicely. At first glance it looks to be way too big for the chassis (I'm talking design of the prototype, not the kit item) but I suspect it had to be designed that way since it is quite low. Its growing on me now although I do think the AML-90 is too top heavy...a bit like the British Army's Fox armoured car.

fullsizeoutput_140e

fullsizeoutput_140f

I made an error at the start of this project when I mentioned that the aftermarket wheel set came from Blast Models. It did not.....It's actually a set by Azimut. I have since also acquired a set from Blast Models and now face a bit of a dilemma. The Blast Models set is much closer (in diameter) to the original kit wheels even though reliable sources suggest that the kit wheels are oversized in both diameter and width. As my previous posts demonstrate, the Azimut offerings are a bit smaller !. I think I will persist with the Azimut parts and use the Blast Models set on my next AML-60/90 project. 

By way of further comparison, the finish on the Blast Models set is a little more refined - I have found some blemishes on the Azimut set and you can see one on the photo above (fortunately on the inner surfaces). The only real difference (apart from the relative size) between the two is that you will need the kit supplied rear hub parts to mount the Azimut wheels. The Blast Models versions are complete and include the locating holes to fit the kit axles. The Blast models wheels also feature weighted tyres. 

Thanks for looking...........more to follow.

• Like 4