British Roundel Blue and Roundel Red Acrylics.

Grey Beema

I'm moving into the final stages of building a Mosquito NFXIII of 29 Sqn RAF HK422/RO°Z.  

Squadron markings RO°Z are red which I assume would have been painted using the same red as the roundel.  I bought the Xtradecal bomber command red letter set to make up my codes only to find a) they are to big (I should have checked them out better) and b) they are quite brown in colour especially against the Tamiya roundels from the kit.  I ended up making my own codes up and printing them myself using the RGB codes for roundel red.  In future rather than making the decals I am considering spraying them myself.

Long pre-amble but what I'm looking for is the best match acrylic paint for Roundel Blue and Roundel Red.  I tend to use either Xtracrylics or Tamiya ranges and they are easy to get hold of.  I would at a pinch also consider enamels as long as the clean up is reasonably easy afterwards..

Any thought or suggestions?

• Like 1

What are the RBG codes you used for roundel red, and what is their provenance? I think you might find the Tamiya roundels are too red and the Xtradecal sheet is nearer the mark.

The dull wartime Ministry of Aircraft Production really is quite brown. White Ensign Colourcoat ACRN22 RAF/FAA Red (matt) is spot on. White Ensign paints are now manufactured and sold by Sovereign Hobbies and the one you want is here

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-air/products/acrn22-raf-faa-red

See this thread for learned debate and actual measured examples relating to the red:

And here's the blue:

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-air/products/acrn31-ww2-roundel-blue-oxford-blue-bs105

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

What are the RBG codes you used for roundel red, and what is their provenance? I think you might find the Tamiya roundels are too red and the Xtradecal sheet is nearer the mark.

The dull wartime Ministry of Aircraft Production really is quite brown. White Ensign Colourcoat ACRN22 RAF/FAA Red (matt) is spot on. White Ensign paints are now manufactured and sold by Sovereign Hobbies and the one you want is here

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-air/products/acrn22-raf-faa-red

Thanks WIP, I didn't take the RGB codes from the Tamiya red which I know is too bright.  I used e-paint.com I think.

I think I will have to experiment with Sovereignhobbies colours, was just hoping there was something I could get locally without having to get them mailed in..

Apols if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you absolutely sure the RGB reference you found was for the old MAP wartime colours and not for the modern BS381C colours, which are a lot brighter?

Edited by Work In Progress

8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Humbrol 100 red brown might be pretty close, its what I use anyhow.

Steve.

Good call Steve.

58 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Apols if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you absolutely sure the RGB reference you found was for the old MAP wartime colours and not for the modern BS381C colours, which are a lot brighter?

Possibly, I would have to go and dig out my reference but that's why I'm asking about paint because painted codes would look better anyway.  Then again I would have to paint the Roundel too.  I am making an assumption that any red squadron codes should match the red of the Roundel.  Perhaps that assumption is wrong to start with...

The other Issue is that Sovreignhobbys do not post outside the UK...  

• Like 1

Just to show, this is how the home printed squadron codes came out.  If I had used white decal sheet then the colour might have looked denser but it would have left me with a lot of trimming.  Having said that you can see the decal edge.  😡

48502480211_bac2a3baa0_k.jpg

Having said all of this I only need to do one more red code in my projected collection so it might be acedemic now but I would like to know for future reference..

• Like 1

Here's the mixes I use for spraying roundels and codes 

Dull Roundel Red – 75% flat Red (XF-7 ), 25% Hull Red (XF-9) 

Dull Roundel Blue – 95% flat Blue (XF-8), 5% flat Black (XF-1) 

Yellow – Flat Yellow (XF-3) with a tiny amount of flat Red (XF-7) 

Painted onto some of my models:

DSC_0150-L.jpg

IMG_20180814_002426-L.jpg

IMG_20180814_210210-L.jpg

I generally mask and spray all large markings when possible so if you're trying to match decals, you may need to tweak them slightly. 

Hope that helps,

Carl

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

Here's the mixes I use for spraying roundels and codes 

Dull Roundel Red – 75% flat Red (XF-7 ), 25% Hull Red (XF-9) 

Dull Roundel Blue – 95% flat Blue (XF-8), 5% flat Black (XF-1) 

Yellow – Flat Yellow (XF-3) with a tiny amount of flat Red (XF-7) 

Painted onto some of my models:

DSC_0150-L.jpg

IMG_20180814_002426-L.jpg

IMG_20180814_210210-L.jpg

I generally mask and spray all large markings when possible so if you're trying to match decals, you may need to tweak them slightly. 

Hope that helps,

Carl

Impressive Carl.  Really like that thank you.

Do you make your own masks?  If so how do you go about it?

RGB figures I have that I used for my inkjet printed markings are:- 

• Roundel red 168/54/54
  • Roundel Blue 6/20/29

It is interesting though that there isn't really a definitive answer to this.  I need to see if I can get hold of Vallejo paint locally...

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Impressive Carl.  Really like that thank you.

Do you make your own masks?  If so how do you go about it?

Thanks! I usually use commercially available masks. I have ordered custom sized ones depending on the project. Primarily I'm using ones from Maketar and occasionally those from Montex. 

Carl

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late to the party, but I only tried this a few days ago when I found that the Xtradecal fin flashes didn't fit too well on the Eduard 1/72 Spitfire: Lifecolor's UA088 is a perfect match for the red used by Xtradecals and IMHO this colour compares very well with the wartime red colour

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vallejo now makes a roundel red and roundel blue in there model air line.

Dull Roundel Blue (BS 106) #AV71091

Dull Roundel Red  (BS 435) AV71080

Trainer Yellow/Ident.Yellow (BS 356) AV71078

They have many other British WW2 colors also.

Ron G 

Edited by Crankycraftsman
  • Like 3

Here are the sRGB codes from the colors simply noted as "Red" and "Blue" in my copy of British Aviation Colours of World War Two, Volume 3 of the RAF Museum Series. There are also a "Matt Red" and "Matt Blue", both of which are much brighter than the first two. I also added "Generic RGB" codes for all these as I wasn't sure which RGB space was being used by the OP:

"Red": 142 70 56  "Generic RGB": 122 52 43

"Blue":  51 64 84  "Generic RGB":   39 48 66

"Matt Red": 168 44 52  "Generic RGB":  150 26 39

"Matt Blue":  52 71 116  "Generic RGB":  39 53 96

I just scanned these patches moments ago with my personal spectrophotometer. Hope this helps!

Equipment and software used: X-Rite I1 Pro 2, BabelColor CT&A.

Edited by Rolls-Royce
Add new data
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/5/2019 at 4:23 PM, Crankycraftsman said:

Vallejo now makes a roundel red and roundel blue in there model air line.

Dull Roundel Blue (BS 106) #AV71091

Dull Roundel Red  (BS 435) AV71080

Trainer Yellow/Ident.Yellow (BS 356) AV71078

They have many other British WW2 colors also.

Ron G 

Sorry to wake up an old thread!

Can anyone vouch for these colours?

I need some acrylic paint for RAF WWII roundels and like Vallejo paints.

Other acrylic suggestions welcome.

Rick.

8 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Sorry to wake up an old thread!

Can anyone vouch for these colours?

I need some acrylic paint for RAF WWII roundels and like Vallejo paints.

Other acrylic suggestions welcome.

Rick.

I’ve had good success with Testor’s Acrylic Insignia Blue and Insignia Red to paint on markings as well as to touch up markings from top quality decals such as Xtradecal.  Some may think me a philistine, but they’re an exact match at 1/48 scale.

• Like 1