Backdate a tornado to MRCA

Plastic_parts

Hi fellas. How difficult would it be to backdate a modern tornado  kit to an MRCA? I can’t see it being that difficult but what would it involve and which kit or kits would be needed? I have the original Airfix MRCA for any parts that might be needed as well as the Airfix, revell and italeri kits. Also where might I find a replacement set of MRCA decals? 

Which MRCA are you after: the first prototype P-01 D-9591, the first British built machine P-02 XX946, some of the other seven flying prototypes? I do not know if there are decals available for the MRCAs, but I believe each of them at least initially flew in white livery. So, if everything else fails, you can still resort to DIY decals. Cheers

Jure

If you get an Airfix GR.1 it needs minimal work to back date as Airfix re-cut the MRCA to become the GR.1

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1166

If you already have a MRCA

a. Why not build it?

b. lay out its parts next to a GR.1 kit and note the differences

I don't think there's much airframe difference,  a fillet on the fine is mentioned in this MRCA build.

Prototype didn't have a laser sensor under the nose.  Rest of kit differences is weapons - depending on the kit release.

Just to make you want to do it - here's mine

Airfix-MRCA0.jpg

One other feature unique to the early prototypes is the lack of bypass ducts on the top surface of the intakes. This is noticeable on production aircraft by the 'step up' just aft of the wing root (the aft edge of which is actually an open slot to the rear). The original intake design is a continuous plane out to the leading edge.

• Like 1

Model, that theplasticsurgeon built is the second prototype XX946. There is little I can add to this discussion. Mind nine vortex generators on vertical tail and camera just below the top of the fin which were absent during early flights of this machine, but appeared when XX946 had been camouflaged. Cheers

Jure

I’m doing P12 in 1/32 at the mo and it’s nearly finished having taken me nearly a year on and off doing it. Slightly repeating what others have said my library of research has revealed:

Straight edged tail plane, but some had a little vertical winglet on the outer edge.

Some had the vortex generators missing (added later).

The fillet below the rudder seemed different on the Pre-production aircraft, so check which one your going to do.

The intake as mentioned some were smooth, others had the vent (with 3 vertical supports inside them but can be seen). Also some had a hump profile 3/4 of the way down the upper surface of the intake.

Underneath there seems to be two cable ducts (aka EE Lightning) on the early ones.

Strobe lights of the period.

RWR Antennas are a different shape for each country. So just check your references.

Cockpit and noticeably the rear seat package is very basic and unique to each aircraft. This is one example where you won’t have to pile on the detail because there wasn’t any.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am still doing it for some Years... you know time is priceless, moving, social life, studies, etc...

You will need strong search, first define what MRCA you wish to do.

Books like Aeroguide, Squadron In Action, Salamander are Your best friends.

Cheers

SV 

Hi

Recently I saw somewhere that the wing Pylons on the prototypes Tornadoes were different from 

the Pylons of the production Tornadoes ?

If it is true are there some pics or drawing to  shape the Pylons found in the 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS/GR1 ?

Thanks 

SouthViper

On 12/24/2019 at 9:24 AM, SouthViper said:

Hi

Recently I saw somewhere that the wing Pylons on the prototypes Tornadoes were different from 

the Pylons of the production Tornadoes ?

If it is true are there some pics or drawing to  shape the Pylons found in the 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS/GR1 ?

Thanks 

SouthViper

I don't know if this is so, but this is a photo of PO2 with wing tanks, the pylons look standard to me? 

sFZQ6e.jpg

John

From my research doing P.12, I found that the underbelly pylons were different to production examples and the outer pylons were different on RAF jets on production aircraft.  May not bother you doing an pre-production example though.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, Plastic_parts said:

The reason I’m wanting to backdate a modern tornado is simply because  the original sirfix kit is somewhat lacking in detai, especially in the cockpit.

All the more reason to build the original Airfix kit. It will allow you to spend a bit of time on the interior detailing it and refining the kit itself. 
after all that then build the latest GR4 for the fun of it.