Testors (ex-Hawk) 1/48 Nieuport 17 Type C.1

A few years back, I dug my one and only World War One build out of the cabinet, and thought, what the heck, take some pics of the old girl for a few grins. It had never been photographed before, and it looks pretty rough in many ways. It is the ancient Testors (ex-Hawk) kit of the Nieuport Type 17 C.1 sesqui-plane built probably around 1994 or so. It has my first attempt at rigging, using fine guitar string. I did scratch-build an entire cockpit, including sidewalls,floor, headrest and instrument panel. The exhaust is drilled out solder and I added some oil filler caps. The bungee cord shock-absorbers are thread coated with thinned white glue. I also made the elevator horns and added the control cables, again from fine wire. The gun sight ring is copper wire.

I believe the paint is Floquil Old Silver and the engine cowl is probably Humbrol polished aluminum (just can’t recall for sure). The cockpit sidewalls are painted in some linen enamel. I used the kit decals. The Lafayette insignia of the Seminole Indian was supposedly taken off a box of Savage rifle cartridges back in The Great War.  That pilot figure is probably close to 60 years old and originally came with the old Aurora 1/48 Spad, iirc. I added him just to give a sense of scale and of course he still wears the paint job I gave him all those years ago.

The base is something I threw together after I got home from work one winter afternoon.   My usual piece of “tarmac” just wouldn’t do for this WWI plane. I really would like to have a base that features a dirt runway for some older aircraft. Maybe a project for this winter? We bought a Nikon D3300 DSLR a few Christmases back, and this is the only model I’ve photographed with it thus far, and I don’t really know what I’m doing, lol. I experimented with the macro mode and automatic and one can see why I usually take my pics outdoors. 😉  None of these pics are that great but I had fun shooting them. With a whole lot of trepidation, I’m posting this genuine “blast from the past” (in more ways than one, 😀) and I hope you take a look…just not too close!   Of course, you already know comments are always welcomed!   Thanks for your interest!

Gary

840663bf-658d-461c-8e1a-044dc139533c.jpg

top%20SB%20good%201.jpg

top%20port%20good.jpg

SB%20full%20okay.jpg

SB%20full%20fuselage%20close%20fair.jpg

top%20from%20rear%20good%201.jpg

Sb%20front%20low%20good.jpg

SB%20engine%20area%20good.jpg

SB%20cockpit%20good.jpg

top%20from%20front%20good%201.jpg

SB%20elevator%20detail%20good%201.jpg

SB%20cockpit%20above%20good.jpg

SB%203-4%20from%20front%20good.jpg

SB%20elevator%20detail%20good%20.jpg

rear%20good%201.jpg

port%20full%20fair%202.jpg

port%20front%20high%20angle%20good.jpg

port%20engine%20area%20good.jpg

port%20elevator%20detail%20good.jpg

port%203-4%20full%20fair.jpg

pilot%20climbing%20in.jpg

5bacba13-24e2-4bd7-bd21-7be85680de20.jpg

front%20port%203-4%20good.jpg

a531f238-c298-4768-ad47-2ee03bf00370.jpg

front%20good.jpg

front%20engine%20mg%20detail%20ok.jpg

cockpit%20good%201.jpg

front%20port%203-4%20good_1.jpg

port%20front%20engine%20and%20prop%20clo

cf293cfd-a76f-42c8-aeb7-f1980e09aa5e.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 21

Hello Gary !

Brilliant and tidy job on this old kit !!

Still looking great after all the years !

Great job on the rigging ! look like guitar strings did'nt get floppy with the time passing !!

Congrats !!

CC

• Like 2

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Gary !

Brilliant and tidy job on this old kit !!

Still looking great after all the years !

Great job on the rigging ! look like guitar strings did'nt get floppy with the time passing !!

Congrats !!

CC

Hi there CC!  Thanks for those kind comments.  I remember the fun I had building this one, all those long years ago.  Twenty-five years later, maybe I'll try another Great War build!  😀

5 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work!

I've built one of those older Hawk kits, and have a few in the stash. They're little more than a basis, and you've done the work to make it shine.

Many thanks!  Glad you like the old girl! 🍺

• Like 1

Looks absolutely awesome, Gary! Hard to believe that this fine model is from the lumps of plastic provided by Hawk kits... The struts and the rigging look great.

I like the pictures with the soft colours that look like sunset.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Looks absolutely awesome, Gary! Hard to believe that this fine model is from the lumps of plastic provided by Hawk kits... The struts and the rigging look great.

I like the pictures with the soft colours that look like sunset.

Cheers, Michael

Michael, I sincerely thank you for those nice words! 👍 The "binding" on those struts should be horizontal I believe, but at the time, I just could never get them to look right so they wound up as we see them now.  Still okay but maybe not correct.  I was sort of surprised that the old thing photographed as well as it did.  Thanks for leaving your comments! 😀

Try an inter War USN aircraft... :whistle:

Yellow wings Navy, wonderfull painting, equalled only in the '60 !!

Prayin' for my parrish ?? Me ?? :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

The "binding" on those struts should be horizontal I believe, but at the time, I just could never get them to look right so they wound up as we see them now.  Still okay but maybe not correct.

It didn't catch my eye; you may be right. I just think it has a realistic touch.

26 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

You may want to look at this and this if you like yellow wings 🤫 Thanks, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Prayin' for my parrish ?? Me ?? :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

Yeah, got my eye on a couple of those!  Good advice CC!👍

46 minutes ago, Johnny_Sokko said:

You did an admirable job with that old Hawk kit. Good photos too.

Thanks so much Johnny!  I appreciate that.🍻

45 minutes ago, Toryu said:

It didn't catch my eye; you may be right. I just think it has a realistic touch.

You may want to look at this and this if you like yellow wings 🤫 Thanks, Michael

Thanks for that Michael! 🍺

Those Boeing bipes are just tremendous!   I do have a Boeing P-26 monoplane that will most likely get some yellow wings too.😉

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Getting Old said:

Fantastic result and brilliant photography, well done Sir :worthy: 

Thank you G.O. I'm so glad you commented! :worthy:

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent build Gary. The rigging looks very good. 

Thanks Greg!  Much appreciated my Kiwi friend!🍺

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks Rich! 😀