A&AEE Argosy

Cheers

On 10/08/2019 at 19:46, chris57 said:

Brilliant build Steve. I've just finished Mach2's Britannia, or rather it's just finished me. You almost got a call as the kit comes without any cheat lines, but I had some Magna ones in the box. See you at Telford.

They should have done the cheatlines as decals, I've got one to do in the red/white/grey A&AEE scheme so wasn't too bothered about the kit decals. Glad to hear you're sorted though, what's the kit like to build? Have you finished the An-32 yet? I'll be helping Paul Davis as usual at Telford so we'll have a chat then.

On 10/08/2019 at 20:49, Lord Riot said:

Stunning work! I remember this aircraft coming into Woodford once, very exciting to see something so different. 

I bought this kit to make as this very same one, but after finding the civil cargo version relatively cheap I then realised the military ones have that hump over the cargo door, so I sold it. Never been able to find one for under £40 again since! 

Never saw it fly, only static once but certainly different from the others. My kit had got both types of door but I know some don't. If you order one from Hannants to collect at a show you'll get 10% off which helps a bit.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Cheers, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting! The fuselage joints needed a fair bit of filler but the rest of it fitted well. Some of the surface was a bit rough in places so needed to be rubbed down.

Steve

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

So this kit caused only nervous breakdown? This is very nicely built.

Unlike many other kits I've built over the years, I don't have any bad memories from this one. Ok the name Mach2 makes most people shudder and want to hide away in fear, but the Argosy does seem to be much better than some/many of their kits. To me any kit is only a starting point and none are perfect, the options for building an Argosy are this kit, or the out of production Magna resin/Airways vacform kits, so it's a case of working with what there is. 

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Wow that is an outstanding job on a very difficult kit I've one in the stash but haven't the guts or the skills to build it you've made a silk purse out of a pigs ear kudos

I tend to build a difficult or complex model alongside easier ones which helps to keep the interest going through any problem areas and the Argosy is ideal as a winter project especially with the current restrictions on being able to go anywhere! Pull it out of the stash and have a go, you might be surprised at how well it builds - it does need a fair old weight up front to make it sit properly.

Steve

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:58 PM, BritJet said:

Mach 2 1/72 with homemade decals otherwise straight from the box
resized_7a53e1b4-11c5-4698-8762-b4a4156d
resized_db7134a0-0389-43ee-a549-df2c2b96
resized_cf7095f3-e636-4355-9d6c-0f36a86a
resized_408cacca-d4ee-4cd2-868c-bd3951e6
resized_1b45abdd-1739-4cbe-a6b2-0bc5a02c
resized_f5d28de4-a95e-4293-a853-c6c6b32c

Steve

817 was often seen at Malta-Luqa in the 70s.
A picture of it was posted only yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/aviationmt/photos/1326090171086306

others:

https://www.facebook.com/aviationmt/photos/the-colourful-end-of-argosy-xn817-from-aaee-after-landing-at-luqa-malta-on-29th-/1213326179029373/

https://www.facebook.com/aviationmt/photos/a.735829616779034/1326090171086306/

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6152856

This brings back memories.

Back in the early eighties when I was at RAF Finningley training to be an Air Engineer (Flight Engineer in civilian parlance), the advanced phase involved learning how to handle four engine aircraft using the Argosy simulator which was located at RAF Benson.  During my time there, the A&AEE Argosy (by then, the last flying example, I believe) landed at Benson.  We (myself and the other course members) were then instructed to get on board and were taken on a short-ish flight (half-an-hour?) which did wonders for our understanding of the layout of the aircraft.  Up until then, anything aft of the flight deck was learned from the aircrew manual.

I saw it once again in November 1987 at West Freugh looking rather sorry for itself.

Great model, well done.

Trevor

• Like 1

Liked it when you first posted, but never made a comment. I have the kit in my enormous 'to do' pile and yours is an inspiration. I built the Mach2 York earlier this year for a group build and while it was a bit challenging in places (one fuselage half was distinctly banana shaped), I was surprised by how well it went together. 

I think there is an automatic reaction to judge Mach2 kits solely on their reputation when they do produce some decent kits - there are some really bad ones though! They are never going to be the best kits in the world but then most of the subjects are never going to be produced by the large mainstream companies so there's a choice to be made. For me as long as you know what to expect then the plastic parts are just something to start with. Like you I was surprised how well this went together.

Steve