Meteor F8 G-AMCJ

Another great model, clearly of the Reaper. 

A significant airframe in the development of the Meteor and probably one which would have been very successfull and given the Meteor another lease of life had anyone ordered the first. 

Great stuff 

Colin 

• Like 1

Thanks, I think the main problem with this version was that without an RAF order there was unlikely to be any overseas orders. No doubt the RAF were looking ahead to the next generation by then.

Steve 

• Like 1

The Reaper was offered to Australia for the ground attack role but it was seen as excessive to use a jet where a prop could work. A few years later in the Korean war Australia used its meteor F8s in the ground attack role. 

History teaches us so much 

Colin 

• Like 2

Cheers.

17 hours ago, Colin W said:

The Reaper was offered to Australia for the ground attack role but it was seen as excessive to use a jet where a prop could work. A few years later in the Korean war Australia used its meteor F8s in the ground attack role. 

History teaches us so much 

Colin 

Very true - it's shame we don't always remember what we've been taught....

13 hours ago, canberraman said:

A most eye catching and unusual scheme. I would think getting that lovely smooth red finish took some doing!

Mark

It was actually very easy!  Halfords white primer and then two coats of VW Mars Red.

Steve

Great looking model! You said you used homemade decals. May I ask what software, printer, clear decal sheet you use (especially for the white/light coloured markings)? Making your own decals sounds like a really useful skill.

I draw the artwork in CorelDraw but InkScape is good (and free) then print the white parts using a laser printer that has a white toner instead of the black, the colours are better printed on an inkjet (I use a Canon MX340) set for glossy photo paper. The decal paper I use is by Experts Choice and they do clear and white for lasers and inkjets. The white paper can be used if you need white text etc by printing the colour around the outside, but it can be difficult to get a good enough colour match. The inkjet printed decals need to be coated with a non-water based clear lacquer to seal the ink as otherwise it will wash off in the water. The laser printed decals don't need to have a clear coat but it protects the toner from being scratched off the paper. The varnish is all over the sheet so each individual decal has to be cut out, it's important not to cut too close to the inkjet printed ones as the ink can bleed out from under the clear coat.

It's not difficult to do and opens up lots of possibilities. Hope this helps but let me know if you need any more details.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1