Meteor F4 G-AIDC

Frog F4 1/72 with homemade decals, this was the first civil jet engined aircraft in the world and used by Gloster as a demonstrator. Later converted into two-seater G-AKPK
resized_c8aa4b87-3138-4c0e-a888-0a4167c6
resized_5e81cba7-f016-4bdc-b5f3-3941765a
resized_86d2e407-b2b4-4721-aa0a-d978a370
resized_b2737a97-8e6f-4a1e-afae-2f2586b4

Steve

• Like 34

Steve,

When I first saw this Meatbox, I thought Moa must have built it, but then I noticed there was no loo installed! Very nice model! Looking at this one and your Argosy, it's obvious you sure do like 'em glossy!

Mike

• Haha 2

Thanks, definitely no room in there for a loo! I think my lights make it look glossier than it really is. As a company demonstrator it would have been cleaned and polished almost constantly so definitely no pre-shading or panel line washes needed here.

Steve

This is really nice Steve! It is always nice to see these less known paint schemes on otherwise familiar aircraft. You have done a great job.

Can you tell us about the decal making process? I'm currently building a Learjet 24 in all red paint scheme and with white markings. Please🙂

Kind Regards,

Antti

27 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I don't suppose your artwork for the decals (assuming that these are home-made) are suitable to scale up to 1/32?

14 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

This is really nice Steve! It is always nice to see these less known paint schemes on otherwise familiar aircraft. You have done a great job.

Can you tell us about the decal making process? I'm currently building a Learjet 24 in all red paint scheme and with white markings. Please🙂

Kind Regards,

Antti

Yes the decals are home-made. The artwork is drawn in CorelDraw and can be re-scaled to any size without any loss of detail. I can print white onto clear decal paper so a white decal is put on first and then a cream coloured one on the top. PM me if I can help.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work, especially the gloss red, and the intakes look really smooth.

I love the look of this plane and the history that goes with it.

I bought the xtrakit NF 11/12/14 a few weeks ago after doing an old airfix one earlier this year. 

Cheers guys.

18 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Excellent work, especially the gloss red, and the intakes look really smooth.

I love the look of this plane and the history that goes with it.

I bought the xtrakit NF 11/12/14 a few weeks ago after doing an old airfix one earlier this year. 

The Xtrakit NF is the old Matchbox kit and has a few fit issues! The rear fuselage needs some sprue inside across the join to reinforce it and a shim of plastic card to lengthen it slightly so the contours match. The centre fuselage needs a length of sprue across the inside to brace it and to make the top-deck fit properly. The wing root joints are sloppy and need shims in the slots to tighten them up a bit. Remove the lips on the engine nacelles so the intakes and jetpipes are butt-joined to the nacelles. Throw away the radome parts 7 & 14 and use 9 & 12 for the NF14 as they're too long. Make sure you've got plenty of filler - I've built 9 of these now so I'm used to what they need - the first one caught me out despite knowing the kit's reputation! Nothing too difficult so don't let it put you off and give me shout if you need any info etc. Where in the West Mids am ya?

Steve

37 minutes ago, BritJet said:

Cheers guys.

The Xtrakit NF is the old Matchbox kit and has a few fit issues! The rear fuselage needs some sprue inside across the join to reinforce it and a shim of plastic card to lengthen it slightly so the contours match. The centre fuselage needs a length of sprue across the inside to brace it and to make the top-deck fit properly. The wing root joints are sloppy and need shims in the slots to tighten them up a bit. Remove the lips on the engine nacelles so the intakes and jetpipes are butt-joined to the nacelles. Throw away the radome parts 7 & 14 and use 9 & 12 for the NF14 as they're too long. Make sure you've got plenty of filler - I've built 9 of these now so I'm used to what they need - the first one caught me out despite knowing the kit's reputation! Nothing too difficult so don't let it put you off and give me shout if you need any info etc. Where in the West Mids am ya?

Steve

Well since I'm almost always at work, you can find me in and around digbeth. Other than that you'll find me working on wingy-things not far away from the remains of the Austin works. 😉

Do you have a WIP which details any of this work? I've only just really ventured into scratch building and modifying kits. 

Thanks for the offer of help too. 👍

I work in the Jewellery Quarter so not too far away.

Don't have a WIP for this but I've got an Xtrakit NF I can take some photos of and highlight the areas to look out for. Hope I haven't scared you off the kit as it does build up into a nice model but there are a few things to look out for.  My NFs are here, here, here and here 

Steve

That looks just scrumptious in those colours - just needs a set of PE 'Gaunt Guards' inside the nacelles as shown in all photos of the plane - named after a chap who got sucked into the orifice during an engine run! Good luck finding some but I suspect you could use some PE engine grills from an AFV such as the Tiger or Leopard tanks.

Cheers, I agree it would look better with the anti-Daunts! Some info about him here

The etched intake guards in the Special Hobby Speed Record Meteor could probably be used but even they don't look fine enough. I was thinking about drawing them in CorelDraw and printing onto clear plastic OHP (remember them?) film and cutting them to fit in the intake. Shouldn't take long to try it and nothing to lose.

Steve