1/48 - North American P-51D/K Mustang by Bronco Models - released - new F-51D boxing

Homebee

And Bronco Models is the most original 2019 kit prize winner with...

No, it's not a joke. Bronco Models is to release a new tool 1/48th North American P-51D-25-NA Mustang " Red 3" PLA Air Force - ref. FB4010

Bronco and Mustang :P

Sources: 

http://www.moxingfans.com/new/news/2019/0809/6153_2.html

http://www.moxingfans.com/uploads/allimg/190809/1_190809163831_9.jpg

P-51-Bronco.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Confused 1

Well, at least they're starting with a late variant so they can grab some sales before Eduard gets to a -25

But really, who is going to buy this over the other much more widely available kits.

I understand why the big guys all have a P-51D, they're a guaranteed money maker. But the reality is that in a hobby shop they're already going to be stocking Tamiya, Airfix, Eduard, Hobby Boss, whatever Hasegawa special editions are currently out and possibly the Meng kit before they get to the point that they even look at ordering the Bronco.

When you're a small maker like Bronco, you look for the gaps in others lineups. Eduard did this very well with their P-39's and Fw190's in particular, and rode that to becoming one of the major brands.

Now if they'd done a B model, they'd be in much better shape, as right now there's a distinct lack of modern B's aside from the Tamiya and its ICM clone and both of those are ripe for supplanting by a new one with a correct cockpit and gear bays. Eduard will have one soon enough, but there's the opportunity for somebody to get there first and scoop up some sales. Likewise a family of Allison engined Mustangs, as only the AM kit is any good and it's only occasionally available via Italieri or Academy and it also is ripe for a modern tooled replacement.

• Like 1

Allison engine Mustang/Apache was boring subject. It' s Attacker/Recon, not Fighter, with limited camos and short operational history....

Now, after release of Eduard state of art, definitive kit is announcement of Bronco a bad joke. I except highest price as Eduard offer (Bronco is expensive) and one version in box. OVERTREES by Eduard was for 10£, weekend furure for 15£. BRONCO was probably the same case as Meng - brutally overpriced. (Their Early P-40 was very expensive kit...) Maybe Bronco make engine and guns... But Ed prepare photo reccon version. (I accepted around 20-30£ for "plastic only"  WW II single engine fighter kit. (Exception are new tool kits from Tamiya, because Tamiya and Eduard make state of arts kit of classic WW-2 types.  N.T. Tamiya have P.E. parts too - and twenty five years  kabuki masks - but not pre-cut - i don' t understand why...)

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

Allison engine Mustang/Apache was boring subject. It' s Attacker/Recon, not Fighter, with limited camos and short operational history....

Now, after release of Eduard state of art, definitive kit is announcement of Bronco a bad joke. I except highest price as Eduard offer (Bronco is expensive) and one version in box. OVERTREES by Eduard was for 10£, weekend furure for 15£. BRONCO was probably the same case as Meng - brutally overpriced. (Their Early P-40 was very expensive kit...)

Short operational history? Boring Subject?

Allison Mustangs were operational from 1942 through to the end of the war, although in limited numbers after mid-1944 (due to attrition). The very last operational RAF Mustang was an Allison Mustang (in 1947). They had far more extensive service during WW2 than the D model did.

First Mustang kill was an RCAF Mustang 1 over Dieppe. They saw a lot of combat in 3 theaters (Europe, Med and CBI).

Several unique schemes as these were the only Mustangs to wear DG/DE over Sky or the classic silver pre-war USAAC markings (the XP-51's wore these and were Mk1's), plus unique schemes like the 1st Air Commando's P-51's with the white aft fuselage stripes. Where else do you get an OD/NG Mustang with Yellow-rimmed round star markings and an honest to goodness US flag on the tail (154 FS in 1943 on P-51's)

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

The RAF used the Allison Mustang continuously on operations from January 1942 right through to the end of the war. A longer operational service life than the Typhoon or the Tempest V, or the Me 262, or lots of other much-modelled types

9 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

I think this announcement calls for a 'Brenda from Bristol'... "Whaaat? Not another one???"

For those not in the UK. Brenda is a lady member of the pubic commenting on television   that the UK was having another general election just after the previous one. … This was some time ago.... she was priceless.

Dick

• Like 1

It feels like AMK's* then GWH's** announcement of more 1/48 F-14's just after Tamiya's and the feeling that if everyone else was making an F-14 then maybe so should I? Perhaps I need to throw my hat into the P-51D ring too?

*Though we know how that's gone...

**Even less about this one...

Box art, 3D renders, schemes & decals - ref. FB4010 - North American P-51D/K Mustang "PLA 1949 parade";

Release expected in November 2019 in China.

Sources: 

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/11/just-in-case-you-needed-new-version.html

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/kits/broncofb4010preview_1.htm

76732944-10156263202130882-8491510893811

Bronco-PLA-P-51-D-K-Mustang-1949-Parade-

Bronco-PLA-P-51-D-K-Mustang-1949-Parade- Bronco-PLA-P-51-D-K-Mustang-1949-Parade-

Bronco-PLA-P-51-D-K-Mustang-1949-Parade- Bronco-PLA-P-51-D-K-Mustang-1949-Parade-

broncofb4010previewbg-2.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Bronco is relative expensive company - and i bet their Mustang isn´t better (and cheaper) as Eduard gem...  And boooring decals for Chinese  only ?! Great !  

But Mustang is milking cow. You can may it release  many time and time again…. 

In AFV have Bronco great subject and here…. Mustang. Baaah. 

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm I wonder if these share a lineage with the Meng P-51’s ? 

There is absolutely no shared lineage with the Meng kit. The Meng kit has better shapes, and the Meng P-51D is a snap tight kit with unique modular construction.

The Bronco kit's nose fails to capture the shape of the nose, since under the hood was a V-12 Rolls Royce Packard engine with broad rocker arms. This kit shares the same shape issues with the Tamiya P-51D and Accurate Miniatures P-51B/C. The nose is too narrow.

There's probably a few more issues as well. Unfortunately I'll never buy the kit to examine it closely. Eduard is sucking up all my P-51D dollars.

As has been pointed out, this kit, like the Meng kit, will be expensive outside of China. The competition is rough and the Eduard kit is state of the art straight out of the box. Eduard's Overtrees make their kit a real bargain. For the price of two Meng kits ($45) I can add just $8 and buy an Eduard Royal Class P-51D Dual Combo kit this Black Friday with 14 decal options, masks, photoetch, tires, etc. . . .

The market for this kit is obvious. Mainland China. You get a box with markings that commemorate a significant event in the founding of modern China.  Meng also did a special boxing with the PLA AF like this as well. 

• Thanks 1

Based on the images provided, I agre with those who say this new kit does not capture the shape of the upper cowl from the windshield to the spinner correctly. It looks like they gave it a semi-circular cross-section all the way back from the spinner, whereas the real item is much more complex to accommodate the Merlin engine underneath.

It is a P-51 kit though so I suppose it will sell. You would have thought Bronco would have been more careful after the fiasco with the shallow cockpit in their early P-40 series kits.

Nobody has mentioned the lack of drooped flaps (or did I miss that!) aside from the other stuff mentioned above. Now if they'd just produced the decal sheet it would be intersting (for some) 

Martin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nobody has mentioned the lack of drooped flaps (or did I miss that!) aside from the other stuff mentioned above. Now if they'd just produced the decal sheet it would be intersting (for some) 

Martin

You really underestimate the potential absorptivity of the Chinese market, for which this kit is obviously intended.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...