1 24th Scale Bussing 8000 Truck

spacer.pngspacer.pngStarted construction .Quite a bit flash & injection marks to sort out,but once done it went together well.Tried the best I could to keep straight & flat to ensure wheels all sit well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Nice project! I have one in the stash, will follow your progress.

I have one too and will definitely follow as well! Should be interesting.

Some background info about this kit and the series it was supposed to be in, for those who enjoy that kind of stuff. 

This was the first classic truck model in a Revell series of kits, second half of the 90s, that would also feature a Magirus, a Faun and a Mercedes-Benz truck, among others which I don't remember. The only model produced next to the Büssing was the Krupp Titan. 

The Büssing's frame has the right length (albeit that I'm not sure your specimen is fully straight... but you'll probably check and bend if necessary). The (enormous) Krupp Titan would have such a long frame that Revell would have to invest in a new moulding machine, if I remember correctly, so they would just go with the Büssing's frame length to save money. That means that those who have the Krupp Titan kit and want realism, will have to stretch the frame by adding a bit of plastic. I did so with mine, fortunately it's not very difficult to do because you see right away where the Revell designers made the (imaginary) cut.

After these two models (the Büssing and the Krupp), Revell decided to abandon the project. As it seems, they were not as popular modelling objects as the company had anticipated. Such a shame, as it's a great alternative to the plethora of Messerschmitts BF109 and Sherman tanks available. Fortunately both kits have since then been reissued. We can only hope that Revell will at one point in time decide to issue the other classic trucks insofar researched and prepared. 

• Like 5

Thank you so much for info Roy vd M. Very interesting.  My kits I admit take a very liberal line on factual accuracy. Totally agree with the aircraft /war machines point.Market forces, that seems to be what most folks want to build ,Seen the Krupp,would be great if others were released.WE live in hope. Got a couple of  Italeri kits in stash Opel truck & Fire truck

After a good Sat modeling,spacer.pngspacer.png moved on a little. Just basic stuff everything went together well with no real problems. As you may notice my way of working is to assemble as much as I can before painting.I am much better at painting after gluing than gluing after painting

• Like 6

Not much action over the last couple of days Assembled a bit & left constructed so far to set. My plan is to build as a working truck, but not a rusty wreck. Would like sides dropped on one side.Colour scheme I have in mind will require decals to be home produced.(not complicated just the ones that used to come with kit) We shall see as it progressesspacer.png 

spacer.pngspacer.pngbc5e3e1d-8de2-4c2b-86c8-7cbd2b949676.jpgWheels & chassis ready for primer. Note wheels are not as some would build them. After first 2 or3 the models I decided movable steering & wheels were a waste of time on a static model. Often very fragile & roll if display space has any slope on it..Just my opinion. The 2 chassis photos are after primer (Holts Auto Grey) The masking strips are just to keep gluing surface free of paint.Took it off after primer & reapplied,that is why it has no paint on. The towing hook has had a little rust colour added for hairspray.

Edited by Old John
Wrong info
  • Like 4

Hey John,

great project you are working on! Haven't seen this one being built before. As a child I couldn't get my eyes off the Revell catalogue. I know my dad had one in his stash. Don't know what happened to it. I will follow your progress on this one.

A little hint on posting: If you start a new line before inserting the pictures the text won't get ripped apart as happened in some of the previous posts.

Happy modelling!

Jan

That chassis is looking great John! Good colour and nice subtle weathering too. Keep it up, I'm itching to see where this goes and what colour you're going to give the cab.

What Jan means is that in order to prevent the text you typed from stretching across the page, you should press enter before inserting the link to the image. That way, your text and the image will be separated and it will look better. 

Thank you for kind words & info re posting .Cab & body are going to be palish blue I hope . Next up the rear truck bed.Then got to think of some cargo to fill quite a large space,as I want the sides down,on one side at least 

I've been thinking about that for mine too. Last Friday I saw a classic truck which had the open loadbed completely filled with wooden barrels, looked great. But you would need a staggering amount of barrels to fill the Bussing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old John said:

Thank you wondered why that was. I have been doing comments before inserting pictures.Is that not the right way?

Nothing wrong with that. Just hit enter to start a new line before inserting the picture - this way the picture gets placed under your text, no matter what device one uses to look at the post.

Looking forward to your updates!

Jan

Basic truck rear completed  primed & painted No problems. One side with drop down panels. Wood floor is just home printed planks on self adhesive paper.Not much will be see when contents load added (I hope) printed decals as well.Time now to try & make stuff to fill it

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Old John
  • Like 5

On 8/10/2019 at 12:33 AM, Roy vd M. said:

Some background info about this kit and the series it was supposed to be in, for those who enjoy that kind of stuff. 

This was the first classic truck model in a Revell series of kits, second half of the 90s, that would also feature a Magirus, a Faun and a Mercedes-Benz truck, among others which I don't remember. The only model produced next to the Büssing was the Krupp Titan. 

The Büssing's frame has the right length (albeit that I'm not sure your specimen is fully straight... but you'll probably check and bend if necessary). The (enormous) Krupp Titan would have such a long frame that Revell would have to invest in a new moulding machine, if I remember correctly, so they would just go with the Büssing's frame length to save money. That means that those who have the Krupp Titan kit and want realism, will have to stretch the frame by adding a bit of plastic. I did so with mine, fortunately it's not very difficult to do because you see right away where the Revell designers made the (imaginary) cut.

After these two models (the Büssing and the Krupp), Revell decided to abandon the project. As it seems, they were not as popular modelling objects as the company had anticipated. Such a shame, as it's a great alternative to the plethora of Messerschmitts BF109 and Sherman tanks available. Fortunately both kits have since then been reissued. We can only hope that Revell will at one point in time decide to issue the other classic trucks insofar researched and prepared. 

Thank you for this information. Even if I am a seasonned aircraft modeller I have purchased both kits and they are waiting in the basement because I love old trucks. I would have expected some Berliet from the same era but maybe one day.

Patrick

It was a great shame as Revell even made the wheels and tyres correct, not just re-using the already available wheels and tyres.  I have a couple of these and a Krupp with trailer in the stash. Podzun do a book (in German) with lots of pics and conversion possibilities!