Hello.

Here is a rather late entry:

190808a Open Box

I've only read one review of this kit on line which was very positive. I understand that nearly all American P-51s became F-6As but the RAF used them as Mustang IAs for tactical reconnaissance. I have some references for these in use on and after D-Day. I recently suffered total laptop loss and couldn't immediately tell you a squadron for this (?268).

The kit has the common 1/72 mustang wheel well-spar problem and the nose does seem peculiarly angular but nothing with which I can't live.

More shortly,

Alan

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

My other half got me a calendar with ww2 aircraft and this month it's the turn of the "p51".

Rather nice (artist painted) picture of a mixtrure of d's and I *think* b's with full invasion stripes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. This does seem a nice kit but there are a couple of issues with fit that I hope I've fixed up. There's a gap between the cockpit floor and side wall. It's hard to understand why some kits have this sort of problem: the floor has just been molded the wrong size.

190808b Cockpit gap

Anyway, the fix is quite easy with some plasticard stuck to the floor and then shaped to fit the curve of the floor:

190809 Cockpit gap filled 190908 cokpit gap filled 2

There is a more subtle problem with the wingroot:

190829 wingroot step 1

As it's molded the wing root fillet is a bit higher than the wing and so pretty easy to fill after assembling, except just in front of the flaps where the wing is higher than the wing root. I think this would be a major pain in the neck to get right after the wings are assembled to the fuselage. I've pushed the wing down with a clamp and glued it like that with a bit of sprue in between the wing surfaces. Unfortunately I didn't appreciate this until I'd started to glue the top and bottom wing surfaces together or I could have thinned down the top surface more. It would have been easier to reshape the upper wing surface then. Gluing it to the wheel well and at the trailing edge helps quite a bit with this.

190829 wingroot step 2

and now the wing root fillet is a bit higher throughout:

190829 wingroot step 3

This is at the cost of having the, already thick, trailing edge a bit thicker still. I don't want to sand the exterior surfaces at the trailing edge because of the nice detail on the flaps. I'll live with it.

More shortly,

Alan 

• Like 5