Tamiya M113

On 11/24/2019 at 12:16 AM, Dads203 said:

Dan

Wow brother, that looks AMAZING! No matter how long it takes to apply, it can't be any longer than painting by freehand to the same results, probably even longer. These decals are extremely accurate, both in color and pattern. They probably even sell cold weather pattern and warm weather. While the pattern is the same on both, the material of the cold always looked darker than the warm. While it was against regulations to mix your uniform, it was never enforced, because half the time, we lacked the inventory to have matching sets, which is embarrassing.

During the early 2000's, we would were desert patter uniforms, which were the same pattern, just the tan/brown colors. We had woodland vests, both flack vests and ballistic vests, this helped break up our body at distances, making the whole pattern more effective. Something to consider for anyone doing US Army patterns in the mid 90's until 2005.

Cheers mate, it really is gorgeous!

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Cheers Guys,

More slow progress with the figure, Arms have had the seems cleaned off and primed up so are awaiting the green base coat.

Welcome back Anthony :thumbsup:

Some detail painting on his kit has taken place and some subtle shadowing added, you can see it best with the front Velcro fastening 

on the flak jacket. Decals added to the collar so the main torso apart from a flat varnish is finished, his boots still need some work but as I'm handling 

the figure a lot the paint is getting warn off, another last job really. 

P1070514

P1070524

P1070523

P1070518

Enjoy folks 

Dan 

• Like 11

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I keep waiting for blood to shoot out of his arm sockets, and the screaming to start (regarding the last photo of the soldier facing the camera). This is 35th scale, correct? Phenomenal work! I am curious, did you intend for the flak jacket to be different in appearance against the BDU's (battle dress uniform for those who need to know)? This change of color/saturation from the uniform, adds tremendously to the realism. Unlike the uniform, the flak jacket (grrrrr, autospell has been changing flak to flack, annoying) spends most of its life, building up dirt, oil and other contaminants without much cleaning. Since a Joe can't throw it in a washing machine, it pretty much doesn't get cleaned. Every once in a blue moon, it might be washed off via hose and bar soap, but that's about it. These were thankfully replaced with actual ballistic vests with SAPI inserts, making the flak jacket obsolete and used primarily for training only. At least that was my experience with them, maybe some jobs still require that over the ballistic vest, but I can't think of one. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Its good to be back, albeit probably on a limited basis,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I keep waiting for blood to shoot out of his arm sockets, and the screaming to start (regarding the last photo of the soldier facing the camera). This is 35th scale, correct? Phenomenal work! I am curious, did you intend for the flak jacket to be different in appearance against the BDU's (battle dress uniform for those who need to know)? This change of color/saturation from the uniform, adds tremendously to the realism. Unlike the uniform, the flak jacket (grrrrr, autospell has been changing flak to flack, annoying) spends most of its life, building up dirt, oil and other contaminants without much cleaning. Since a Joe can't throw it in a washing machine, it pretty much doesn't get cleaned. Every once in a blue moon, it might be washed off via hose and bar soap, but that's about it. These were thankfully replaced with actual ballistic vests with SAPI inserts, making the flak jacket obsolete and used primarily for training only. At least that was my experience with them, maybe some jobs still require that over the ballistic vest, but I can't think of one. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Its good to be back, albeit probably on a limited basis,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Our own DPM uniforms varied in colours so I wanted to change the hue slightly just to make the flak jacket pop, on the Crossdelta decals they give you 3 slightly different sets of woodland camo. I also noticed that the flak jackets looked brighter in colour than the rest of the uniforms so what you said makes sense about not washing them. They would of stayed more vibrant for longer.

I gave both figures a Matt varnish last night last thing and they are looking much better now. I hoping to get these pair finished off in the next day or so. 

I’m also toying with the idea of fitting the M47 Dragon missile launcher to the commanders cupola, I’ve noticed that a few M113’s had the launch bracket fitted next to the .50 cal. 

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

Wow brother, that looks AMAZING! No matter how long it takes to apply, it can't be any longer than painting by freehand to the same results, probably even longer. These decals are extremely accurate, both in color and pattern. They probably even sell cold weather pattern and warm weather. While the pattern is the same on both, the material of the cold always looked darker than the warm. While it was against regulations to mix your uniform, it was never enforced, because half the time, we lacked the inventory to have matching sets, which is embarrassing.

During the early 2000's, we would were desert patter uniforms, which were the same pattern, just the tan/brown colors. We had woodland vests, both flack vests and ballistic vests, this helped break up our body at distances, making the whole pattern more effective. Something to consider for anyone doing US Army patterns in the mid 90's until 2005.

Cheers mate, it really is gorgeous!

Anthony

5 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Hi Anthony,

Our own DPM uniforms varied in colours so I wanted to change the hue slightly just to make the flak jacket pop, on the Crossdelta decals they give you 3 slightly different sets of woodland camo. I also noticed that the flak jackets looked brighter in colour than the rest of the uniforms so what you said makes sense about not washing them. They would of stayed more vibrant for longer.

I gave both figures a Matt varnish last night last thing and they are looking much better now. I hoping to get these pair finished off in the next day or so. 

I’m also toying with the idea of fitting the M47 Dragon missile launcher to the commanders cupola, I’ve noticed that a few M113’s had the launch bracket fitted next to the .50 cal. 

Regards

Dan 

This picture from Prime Portal shows the different finishes of the flak jackets - presumably this is the combination of Woodland camouflage and Desert Camouflage Uniforms which @Stalker6Recon mentioned ?

spacer.png

Edited by Richard E
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2019 at 12:54 AM, Richard E said:

presumably this is the combination of Woodland camouflage and Desert Camouflage Uniforms

Yes and no. Not sure where/when this was taken, but it does show the typical uniform mismatch with body armor. This style of flak jacket is old old old school, if you wear one to a battle, I pity you. The newer vest that we had circa 2003, had a total coverage front flap, which then held the ceramic plates, the ones that actually stop bullets.

At that time, it may have been supply issues, order issues or some other problem in the chain. All the vests we got were the ballistic type, and all of them were in the woodland colors. Whether accidental, or by design, the mismatched armor actually gave the soldiers better visual results, breaking up their shape against the terrain.

Probably some supply clerk will claim purposeful ordering, when the truth likely is based on the supply issues, only having woodland vests during that time. This was the period when the US Army was transitioning to the short lived ACU, which was more like pajamas than a battle ready uniform. Even the closures were all velcro. Anyone that has tried to be silent, and had to pee, knows how loud ripping open a freshly made fly is.

I don't know if the latest Army uniforms have rid themselves of all the velcro closures, I sure hope so. Buttons are silent, and when silence matters, that's what you want when pee time eventually arrives. Depending on your job, you have to keep and carry out your waste with you, another fun fact. Try pooping into an MRE bag, then rolling it up and sticking it in your ruck. 😁

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1

Not much time this week to grab any bench time chaps,

I did flat down the woodland decals on both figures and I made a start on painting up the commanders arms, decals go on tomorrow, I should have the mic's and leads fitted

as well.

P1070526

P1070527

P1070530

P1070532

P1070533

More tomorrow chaps 

Dan 

• Like 6

Cheers guys for the great feedback,

Another small update, slow start today in the workshop but a bit of progress, I've got one arm on the commander figure 

but need to mock up the .50 cal so I can place his other hand in the right position, some filling and fettling left with the arms 

but we are getting close.

P1070536

P1070538

P1070539

P1070540

P1070537

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 8

Cheers Francis,

Trying to get the commander to look a bit more natural in the cupola is good fun, one hand on the .50 and not looking strained. hopefully not too bad.

A bit of filling and touch ups and we will be done, Mic and lead to be sorted yet for the commander. I've also swapped out the .50 cal barrel for the Pontos version,

Wow, its so nicely done, my pictures don't do it any justice but its much better than the RBM version.

P1070545

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Well blow me down! I had almost forgotten about the 113 😀 super work on them figures though.

I almost forgot the M113, :frantic:     Got a bit carried away with the crew, mind you I do treat them a almost a separate build

which for me is the only way to go. 

They are now almost finished you'll be glad to know, so its back on the main build the M113.

P1070556

P1070554

I'll blow the dust off and get cracking 

Dan 

• Like 10

Dan has asked me to let you guys know there will be a short intermission on this build. He's only gone and had a heart attack!!

I've spoken to him today and he's seeming OK, badgering the nursing staff for model supplies.

Please keep any msg to BM or txt. Let him rest for a couple of days

Get well soon Dan, I'll keep your position as my registered carer open at least until the weekend 😉

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Dan has asked me to let you guys know there will be a short intermission on this build. He's only gone and had a heart attack!!

I've spoken to him today and he's seeming OK, badgering the nursing staff for model supplies.

Please keep any msg to BM or txt. Let him rest for a couple of days

Get well soon Dan, I'll keep your position as my registered carer open at least until the weekend 😉

Kev

I gave him a ring yesterday afternoon and I thought he wasnt sounding like himself - I was going to ask him if he as OK.

Anyway - he whatsapp'd me this morning from his hospital bed.  I've told him I want first dibs on his Phantoms😀

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, longshanks said:

You know how to hit a man when he's down 😉

if he doesnt give me the Corsair was well, I'll post the selfie he sent me this morning of him on his bed rigged up with wires and strange bleepy things!!

So.  Just to recap, thats:

27 x Phantoms (various scales) + aftermarket

1 x Corsair Birdcage + aftermarket

I only spotted the one Corsair in that Aladin's cave of his...........

• Haha 2