Tamiya M113

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

He looks good Dan. He also looks to be quite a big fella. Is he the one that kick starts the engine?

John. 

Cheers John,

I reckon he could start it by looking sternly at it or shouting loudly at it ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cheers guys,

Moving onto the commander, Tamiya brought this kit out really to represent an early vehicle and the crew are also Vietnam era.

The commanders flak jacket needs to be updated to PASGT standards, this means moving pockets and adding some ballistic shoulder pads

with the straps and Velcro.

Here he is with the pockets removed, they need to be lower down on the torso.

P1070472

P1070469

P1070468

Nothing exciting at the moment but the additions will made from Green Stuff epoxy putty 

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Some putty work done, most of it is in place and it now needs to cure 

before I can get the next round of details added.

P1070476

P1070477

P1070474

P1070473

I also picked up this at Telford, the .50 barrel I have used is a WWII era barrel, I'm sure they were still around in the 70-80's but 

Its been bugging me. This one is the modern barrel with no carrying handle.

P1070479

This will get swapped out when I get around to it 

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 5

Cheers Chaps,

So again a micro update, work has been the main factor in my slow down and I've been busy 

making sure that rural Scotland starts getting 4G coverage to bring them up to the rest of the country.

Adding more small details again like Velcro and press studs to the jacket. 

P1070486

P1070485

P1070484

P1070483

Once this cures off then a bit of a prime and green base ready for the Crossdelta decals.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 7

Cheers chaps, so a few hours decaling again, it takes ages to get these looking okay 

so its rather slow work, I've only got his arms and collar left to do but I need to wait for this to dry off now.

I've used  the other faded out cam for the flack jacket just to add a bit more to him, some areas will need touching up 

with paint as per the driver but he's looking okay I think, not bad for a figure produced back in 1974 :frantic:

There are some details that need picking out with his jacket such as the Velcro and press studs, these will get done once he is all dry.

P1070497 P1070500

P1070499

P1070503

P1070505

Regards

Dan 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers chaps, so a few hours decaling again, it takes ages to get these looking okay 

so its rather slow work, I've only got his arms and collar left to do but I need to wait for this to dry off now.

I've used  the other faded out cam for the flack jacket just to add a bit more to him, some areas will need touching up 

with paint as per the driver but he's looking okay I think, not bad for a figure produced back in 1974 :frantic:

There are some details that need picking out with his jacket such as the Velcro and press studs, these will get done once he is all dry.

P1070497 P1070500

P1070499

P1070503

P1070505

Regards

Dan 

Top job as usual,next time I will take a bit more time with my figures 👍

Really like what you are doing with your crew figures, the camo decals may be time consuming but they certainly lift the figures to the next level or two!

Roger

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really like what you are doing with your crew figures, the camo decals may be time consuming but they certainly lift the figures to the next level or two!

Roger

As Roger said, they're some of the best rendered figures I've seen Dan

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Miketheexrock said:

Dan , are you softening the decal with any thing , coz I cannot get mine to mould to the figure at all  how small are the peices your laying down ? 

Dan recommended Daco strong decal solution to me and it works a treat.

HTH

Ivan

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps for the great feedback ;)

So Mike asked about the pieces and how I put them on, each leg is two decals, front and back just like the real deal, one piece for the back and two pieces for the breasts of the jacket. Each arm is two pieces and that’s it, easy eh ;)

You need a strong decal solution for these to work, without you’ll never get them in place, i use the Daco strong and it’s good, it softens the decal so well that if you touch them you’ll leave fingerprints on the decal so care is needed. It takes about 10 minutes for the solution to start working and I keep adding solution until I’m happy with. Each big piece can take up to an hour to manipulate and go down properly so not a job if you want quick results. 

The key is take your time and work on one area at a time, once done leave it dry properly and move onto the next part. If you find that you have a rough area after it’s dried then hit it again with solution, it will soften it again. 

HTH 

Dan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers chaps for the great feedback ;)

So Mike asked about the pieces and how I put them on, each leg is two decals, front and back just like the real deal, one piece for the back and two pieces for the breasts of the jacket. Each arm is two pieces and that’s it, easy eh ;)

Do you cut the pieces freehand or do you use a template - in a 1/35 scale tailoring style ?

Cheers All, comments and likes are very much appreciated ;)

I’ve done a bit more tonight, added the decals to the collar and started to add some shadow to the areas that require it. Arms are now primed up and awaiting the base green and flesh, I should have these done tomorrow so not much left for the figures now. I’ll add the mics and leads later once they are almost done.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1