Tamiya M113

Once again I have a massive influx of likes from you chaps,Ā 

I will thank you all once againĀ :thumbsup: Means a great deal, believe me.

Ā 

Ā 

Not much occurring this week, I'm on the lots of effort for little gain side of things, first up is the driver figure,Ā 

Staying true to my nostalgic build I'm going to use the original Tamiya figures that came with the kit, or at least the two crew.

I've added detail and generally messed around with things that Tamiya didn't so we have a few fit issues with the driver. Poor chap

has had some lumps removed and bits tweaked just so he can fit as Tamiya intended. Ā 

Ā 

A few posts ago I assembled both figures , they were cleaned up but still raw, they need to be fettled a bit so that is what I've been doing.

Ā 

P1070383

Ā 

P1070382

Ā 

P1070381

Ā 

Adjusting feet and bottoms, I've removed a lot of material around where the tillers go as that was very tight. Arms have been cleaned up and almost ready for gluing. then I can look at theĀ 

woodland pattern cam decals for his uniform and paint.Ā  I'm also procrastinating about the scratch details that I have to add yet to the exterior and interiorĀ :hmmm: I must pull out my finger reallyĀ 

and get this moving a bit quicker.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers for looking in and drive safe !Ā :frantic:

Ā 

Ā 

Regards

Ā 

DanĀ 

Ā 

• Like 11

It must have been a tight squeeze in the drivers seat of the real thing and a bit bumpy as wellĀ šŸ˜–

Ā 

looking great there DanĀ šŸ‘šŸ»

Ā 

beefyĀ 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Ā 

Adjusting feet and bottoms, I've removed a lot of material around where the tillers go as that was very tight. Arms have been cleaned up and almost ready for gluing. then I can look at theĀ 

woodland pattern cam decals for his uniform and paint.Ā  I'm also procrastinating about the scratch details that I have to add yet to the exterior and interiorĀ :hmmm: I must pull out my finger reallyĀ 

and get this moving a bit quicker.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Your eye for detail has probably already picked out the myriad of tie downs and bolt heads that needed to be added to the roof ?

Ā 

Excellent building and finishing Dan

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cheers Guys for the comments,Ā 

Ā 

I've been plugging slowly this week but not as much bench time as I would like.Ā 

Not much to show apart from a scratch built fire extinguisher bracket and few other bits that I've working on.Ā 

Ā 

First up is the bracket, sitting by the back door.

Ā 

Ā 

P1070388

Ā 

P1070389

Ā 

P1070390

Ā 

Ā 

Painted up the scratched extinguisher, decal came from the Mike Grant 48th scale cockpit decal set.

Ā 

P1070386

Ā 

Just out of the spray booth is the radiator, I think these were green but I'm not sure on actual radiator matrix and housing, I'll probably run with gun metal?

The housing is MRP Forrest Green, dry ready to mask up in about 3 minutes, gotta love the stuff !!Ā 

Ā 

P1070392

Ā 

P1070391

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers for dropping byĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

DanĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 13

Thanks guys,

Ā 

A bit more work on the rad and air filter for the pack, Air filter has just been painted with not additionsĀ 

yet. I'm missing a decal which isn't covered by the Archer set for the filter unit so I'm procrastinating for the moment.Ā 

Ā 

Rad has been painted up and the basic weathering, the colours are pure guess work, the Tamiya instructions show it all as olive drab. Some light scratching of the radiatorĀ 

and a tiny bit of detail painting on the caps and hose.Ā 

Ā 

P1070398

Ā 

P1070400

Ā 

P1070399

Ā 

P1070394

Ā 

Some of the subtle oil work I've done to weather up the green mount, most of it can't be seen in these pictures for some reason but it's there.Ā 

Ā 

P1070393

Ā 

And the basic air filter just painted up

Ā 

P1070397

Ā 

Ā 

More later folksĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

DanĀ 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Some of the subtle oil work I've done to weather up the green mount

Ā 

Good muck muck clearly visible in Cornwall and looks good

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

so I'm procrastinating for the moment.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

so I'm procrastinating for the moment.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

the colours are pure guess work,

Ā 

GUESS! YOU Guessed! My god the riveters are going to have a field day. 'N you're so brazen about it.

You're worried about a labelĀ :lalala:Ā  Ā Ā 

:hmmm:Stick the wrong label onĀ  such a way only part can be seen, sack the lowest rank and get on with your life

Ā 

šŸ¤£

Ā 

Kev

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's the little details that are making this build. Keep it up Dan.

Ā 

John.

Just what John said Dan - a light film of dust and a couple of dead leaves and it would look just like the real thing sir.

• Thanks 1

Guys, thanks indeed for the praise,

Ā 

The roof will be removable so you can see all the gubbinsĀ :thumbsup:

Ā 

I've has a blast with the Cross Delta decals... its going to take a while, the Daco medium setting sol doesn't touch them

so I tried the Mr Mark Softener. That nailed it but this one bit I applied took an hour !

Ā 

Ā 

P1070401

Ā 

P1070402

Ā 

P1070404

Ā 

Some creases but I'm hoping they will fall outĀ :shrug: The verdict is still out on these, I think it might be easier to paint them. Anyone who has used these before to good effect please send tips !!Ā 

Ā 

I've been priming up more parts as I'm going along, pack bay top hatch has been primed and a base lacquer silver added ready for chipping fluid.Ā 

Ā 

P1070408

Ā 

Ā 

Commanders seat is painted up, needs a flat coat to dull it down yet.

Ā 

P1070407

Ā 

P1070405

Ā 

And the air filter gets some weathering.

Ā 

P1070411

Ā 

Ā 

More later folksĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

DanĀ 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Ā 

BTW. Keep your thumb out of the way in future:giggle:.

Ā 

Ā 

Who says itā€™s my thumb, it might be my stunt double JohnĀ ;)

Ā 

All the metallics are the new Tamiya Lacquer paints mate, and great they are indeed, probably the best Iā€™ve used tbh.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

DanĀ 

• Thanks 1

What an opus this is turning out to be!Ā  As per everyone else's sentiments - it's the attention to detail that captivates

Dan - I have used the uniform decals (IMHO for modern digital US ACU there is NO other way!)Ā  I recall doing a piece at a time with copious amounts of decal setter and physically pressing the decal down into grooves with a cocktail stick.Ā  I ended up using pieces as you would for real clothes - 2 parts to a sleeve etc and you are right - It's just a bit at a time!

I couldn't paint to the finish of the decals.

Rob

• Thanks 1

I once did uniform decals few years ago, but don't recall it as such a pain. It demands a lot of patience, doing one piece at the time and a loads of Micro Sol it requires.

But it will come out pretty nice finally. And I'm certain, I couldn't do the same thing doing freehand painting.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, I need to set myself some time to carry on the uniform decals, I kinda likeĀ 

it now but as mentioned need to have the time to do it right.

Ā 

So a micro update again. been working on the pack bay and the upper areas on the hatch. This is still a WIP as the weathering isn't finished yet, need to play around withĀ 

the camera settings as the chipping isn't as pronounced in real life as the phots show. Some of the oil streaking is still wet here so it looks a bit glossy in some areas.Ā 

Ā 

P1070417

Ā 

P1070414

Ā 

P1070413

Ā 

P1070416

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers for looking inĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

DanĀ 

• Like 7

Ā 

Love your pack bay roof Dan, perhaps I'll send you mine for some attention......................................................................................

Ā 

Ā  Ā Roger

• Thanks 1

Really is looking smashing dan ,Ā quality details and painting, i must round up some of those new tamiyaĀ  laquer paints from telford, i expect they'll mix nicley with cellulose thinner

• Thanks 1

Cheers chapsĀ :thumbsup:

Ā 

Roger, the pack bay roof is only the kit parts with a bit of PE thrown in mate, I'm kicking myself as I forgot the wiring for the headlights.

Next time šŸ™‚Ā  I'll not forget.Ā  I used forest green-A.Mig-065 and Mig Ammo US APC interior green - A.Mig082. Fan blades were hand painted Polished metal A.Mig-192.

I followed up with a dark brown oil wash and a black wash for the blades.Ā 

Ā 

The thinners you might want to consider Hewy are the Mr Hobby Self levelling thinnersĀ  and the Mr Rapid thinners, Rapid is formulated for Matt paints and Self Levelling for gloss.

You get a real fast flash off with the Rapid thinners and this helps maintain the matt or flat finish, as the self levelling does exactly that so aids to getting a good gloss finish, both work perfectly for theĀ 

new Tamiya Lacquer paints.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

P1070418

Ā 

Ā 

HTH

Ā 

DanĀ 

• Like 4