Tamiya M113

On 27/08/2019 at 20:15, 06/24 said:

Wow! That is comprehensive - I’ll take a look. Thanks.

It's two separate sets in the box,  Historex Agents down in Dover are the UK stockist I think? 

I bought my sets direct from RPToolz at Telford 5 years ago and they are as good as the day I bought them.

HTH 

Dan 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:32 AM, Dads203 said:

P1070045

Where did you get those CNC drill bits? Do you like them? I keep seeing them online for just a few dollars, but have held off ordering them, not sure if they are worth the effort. They are much cheaper than model specific micro bits, and come in sets of ten. I need the mid range set, 1-2mm. This month I may just buy a set for sh&ts and giggles.

Cool details all over the place, really shows where the kits fail miserably in their detail areas. They probably hope that those who build their kits, never actually worked with the real versions just for that reason. 9 times out of 10, they would be right. Not today though😁.

Looking good mate!

Anthony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Where did you get those CNC drill bits? Do you like them? I keep seeing them online for just a few dollars, but have held off ordering them, not sure if they are worth the effort. They are much cheaper than model specific micro bits, and come in sets of ten. I need the mid range set, 1-2mm. This month I may just buy a set for sh&ts and giggles.

Cool details all over the place, really shows where the kits fail miserably in their detail areas. They probably hope that those who build their kits, never actually worked with the real versions just for that reason. 9 times out of 10, they would be right. Not today though😁.

Looking good mate!

Anthony

Cheers Anthony,

The drill bits I bought from a friend a few years ago, they came in a box of 50, I’m sure he got them from eBay ? I like them but they are very fragile so treat them as a consumable item, I’ve had to top up the smaller bits from Amazon a few times but they are only a few bucks for a pack.

The Tamiya M113 really is a product of its time and being almost as old as myself I’m not going to complain, at its time of release it really was state of the art. It still holds up well today just need a bit of love.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

state of the art.

Looking at how it turns, via those skid steer levers, that's nuts! At least the Bradley has a car style setup, gas, brakes, even a steering wheel. The only abnormal aspect to driving it, is the pivot steer mechanism. If memory serves, it reverses which ever side you want to turn too, so when pivoting right, the right tracks go in reverse, while the left go forward, makes for a fun and nauseating ride. And like driving, the more gas you give it, the faster she spins! Fun fun fun!

Anthony

• Like 1

Cheers Guys , 

Tonight I've been busy in the drivers compartment, the bulkhead. I've added the locking plate and catches 

as the are missing on the Tamiya kit, Soldered up some brass wire into "T keys" and added them to the engine cover. 

P1070066

P1070069

These are very small. 

P1070067

And added the reverse side captive nuts 

P1070070

More later 

Dan 

• Like 8

This just gets better with each post. On the subject of old kits. I like most of them. Providing the basic outline is accurate, that's fine. It's like having a blank canvas to work on. Two of my favourites are the old Italeri Crusader and Tamiya's M4.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow , more great feedback, cheers guys :thumbsup:

I reckon that I've added more parts than the total kit part count TBH.

More again added tonight, as I added the locking T keys to the drivers hatch I need to remove the plastic 

versions from the troop compartment hatch. armed with my trusty blow torch and solder paint it took 5 mins to get all soldered up.

P1070079

P1070078

Almost ready for soldering up, the bluetack is fine for the short burst of heat just to hold the parts in place.

P1070077

A bit of cutting out and cleaning up and we have fitted the keys.

P1070082

P1070083

P1070081

Also added the hatch handles whilst I had the wire out.

P1070072

More later chaps 

Dan 

• Like 9

Cheers chaps, Many thanks for the comments and the likes :thumbsup:

Another small update, I've added the gear selector linkage to the engine compartment.

P1070091

P1070092

More captive nuts for the T-keys on the inside of the engine compartment.

P1070090

And scratched up the Intercom control box for the commander. 

P1070087

P1070089

P1070093

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 7

More details going in, mainly nuts and bolts to various areas. I also added the hand strap

for pulling the top troop compartment hatch, Aber tie down and lead foil. 

P1070095

P1070099

P1070096

Wasn't happy with the rear fuel tank, the strip I added shouldn't be proud but recessed so I cut it out and made a slot 

backing it with some card.

P1070100

P1070101

Looks a bit better.

Dan 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Great progress with this Dan. The amount of detail that you're putting into it, anybody would think that you're familiar with these wee beasties!

John.

Thanks John, not familiar with the 113 family at all but I do have 7-8 years experience on the 432 family of vehicles and there are striking similarities between them, most of the engine compartment 

is made up... But based upon my logic on how it might look, I'm probably off by a mile but I'm having fun. Like you said about taking an old kit and making better, this is my take on a kit I built as a nipper and making

as good as I can.  It's not 100% accurate but no kit ever is :o I just like taking the underdog and making it as good as a new tool, hopefully inspiring a few people to have a go at detailing. 

Plus I think the AFV Club is well overpriced and still lacks in some areas ;)

Regards

Dan  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Thanks John, not familiar with the 113 family at all but I do have 7-8 years experience on the 432 family of vehicles and there are striking similarities between them,

I had a feeling that you were ex 432. If I'd have stayed in longer, I believe that's what we would have been using in the Signals.

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I had a feeling that you were ex 432. If I'd have stayed in longer, I believe that's what we would have been using in the Signals.

John.

Started my "H" track course 2 weeks after arriving in Germany on my first posting back in 1990 and spent most of my 12 year career on the 43 family, on and off in the last few 

years. As soon as they found out I was a track licence holder I was posted to an armoured unit though, great fun for most of the time but winter was dire, long road moves in Germany 

during the cold months was not fun at all, I don't think I've ever been that cold in my life. Summer was great though.  Started off as a crew man Driver Operator and finished up as Commander - Det Commander 

on the 43's. 

Once you had passed your H course then it was pretty much a done deal that you would spend all your career on the Armoured Circuit. Dermatitis was not an occupational hazard, it was issued by the QM's dept ;)

Dan.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, Dads203 said:

Looks a bit better.

That's an understatement my friend, she looks great! So am I correct, did the kit skip these details (t-locks, commander intercooler box, that awesome pull chain for the troop compartment, all the other details made from white plastic)? Or did you just replace the kit parts because they were inferior?

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

That's an understatement my friend, she looks great! So am I correct, did the kit skip these details (t-locks, commander intercooler box, that awesome pull chain for the troop compartment, all the other details made from white plastic)? Or did you just replace the kit parts because they were inferior?

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

It’s a mixture of what you quoted above, some details are missing, some are soft and need a bit more and some is just wrong. With every kit the final product is a balancing act of costs, detail and R&D so all manufacturers do leave details missing. Tamiya are no different and some of their earlier kits you could spot the missing details from the box art :frantic:

The M2 and M3 Bradley’s showed a few details on the box which were missing from the kit.

Regards

Dan

7 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Master modeller! Where did you take all those details? Was you a M113 crew member?! 😁

Ciao

Filippo

Master modeller.... Me, Naaah not at all Filippo but thanks buddy :o Plenty others out there that deserve the title than me.

Never crewed a M113, us Brits never had them during my time in the Army but I believe we had a few in recent years 

for the Spike missile. I think they were a special requirement for Iraq or Afghan and they have now been handed back.

I'm using the Verlinden and Squadron Signal books for reference for this build.

Adding a few more wires to the engine, again I don't know if this is accurate. Just trying to add some interest to the area. 

P1070111

P1070108

More later 

Dan 

• Like 4

Added the flashlight holder in the fighting compartment,

just rolled lead foil. 

P1070115

P1070114

Need to add the bottom to it yet but dropped in a flashlight just to test. Difficult to get the camera to focus on it :confused:

P1070113

Added the fuel pipe for the crew heater, or at least that I what I think it is? 

P1070116

P1070117

More later 

Dan 

• Like 11