Tamiya M113

Cheers guys,

Smallish update tonight, again working on the pack, I've detailed up what I think is the starter motor. 

Added a few small details such as the end of the armature and the pos and neg terminals, these will get wired up 

later.  I know that the pack and gearbox area will not be 100% accurate but I'm just freestyling this area and just busying it up 

and hopefully making it a bit more interesting. The derv powerpack is much different from this petrol version. 

P1070015

Added the mounts to the rad 

P1070018

And back to the steering box, I've added the steering lever arms to the box, these will get connecting rods to the box later.

These connect to the brake bands inside the box, and are what steer the wagon so quite important, a nightmare on the 43's that I worked on. The M113 and 432's are so similar 

in the way that they worked. 

P1070014

P1070013

Also adding the jerry can holders to the rear of the vehicle. 

P1070020

P1070019

I’ve made a start on the pivot steer tillers which live on the inside of the front plate, quiet a complex set of levers and all from scratch, update later.

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 11

A bit more done, back to the fuel tank, I've cut the inspection hatch into the side of the tank 

and made up the cover from plastic card, again its hard to get the details of this area and I only have one drawing,

It's close enough. 

P1070022

P1070021

P1070023

And I've started on the pivot steer levers, loads more to add to this yet and I'm still thinking about how to make this up.  These enable the M113 to almost neutral turn

by locking off one track with hydraulic disk brakes, something that our 43's didn't have. 

P1070025

P1070026

Drivers compartmant

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 6

On 8/21/2019 at 1:42 AM, Dads203 said:

swim vane locking mech

Just out of curiosity, did they even try to make these parts, or did the kit have nothing to represent this mechanism? Also, probably already done, but that German made boat/aircraft wire might make nice belts for the motor. Looking forward to the camo decals, I am not sure if I mentioned it, but one reason the color may also be different, the colors were in fact different between cold weather BDU's and warm weather BDU's. The cold weather gear had deeper colors, and washed out slower than the warm weather gear.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dads203 said:

pivot steer

One of the funnest aspects of driving a track vehicle. I remember the Bradley could do pretty fast pivot turns, enough to make you nauseous 🤢, especially those in the turret.

Just for historical pleasure, anyone that wants to see a skilled armor group working together in urban areas, look at the syrian military ops on YouTube. Getting that kind of close quarters skill is very difficult and takes lots of practice. Their years at fighting the civil war has made them a formidable fighting force.

Anyone that has driven armor, using only the periscope style blocks, knows how to w hard it really is. It's like driving your car while looking thru a straw! Blind spots make up about 80% of your view. Having a talented commander, who has a much better view and able to give precise commands regarding movement, really helps.

My bet is that future drivers will use elevated cameras that give an almost video game style view, will be coming soon. But learning to drive with those blocks will always be required skills, no matter how bad it sucks.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cheers guys. 

Driving battened down was real hoot, I can remember my first time and my commander can as well. Pretty sure the 321 Radio slipped out of it mount and broke a bone in his foot. He really wasn’t happy and gave me a smack on the head with a hammer, I was wearing a helmet but it still hurt :frantic:

You certainly learnt how to stow kit properly after a few cross county runs that’s for sure. 

Anthony you are right about the limited field of vision, on our 432's the driver only had one scope so all you could see 

was dead ahead. Nothing at all to the sides, at night the day scope was swapped out for a AVII night scope. This removed all depth perception

and turned the night into a green scape of various shades, large dips in the ground looked small and small dips could look huge, you just couldn't judge 

what you were driving on. To make matters worse the commander had no night vision so you were truly on your own. 

Feeling sick during a night move was common when battened down, almost like sea sickness as it was very hard to keep your eyes on the horizon.

I look back with fond memories of my time driving armoured vehicles but night time battened down.... no thanks ;) 

Getting closer to getting paint into the interior now, a few bits to scratch build but we are moving in the right direction.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 4

Cheers guys for the likes and the great feedback,

Richard, I have seen that phot before and it would make a great dio matey :thumbsup:

Not sure yet on how to display this one but I've plenty of time to finalise the complete build.

So I've been hacking away at the plastic, my latest effort is with the bilge outlet pipe in the rear of the troop compartment.

A hole cut into the floor and filed out, the pipe is just stock plastic rod and straps are lead foil. I've also added the radio remote 

terminals, the square thing with 4 terminals, this allows the radio/s to be remoted away from the vehicle, like to a section dug in.

P1070032

P1070033

P1070029

Door handle added.

P1070030

More later chaps.

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 8

Hacked another hole onto the floor again for the rear door pully and manged to get it in.

Some fuel pipping to run underneath the floor, I reckon the fuel pumps are located under the flooring? 

P1070038

P1070037

P1070036

P1070035

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Coming along fine,bit of a trip hazard that pipe though!?

Exactly what I thought , mine might be a tad to far out but not by much. The seat edge does extend over it though. 

• Like 1

Cheers very much chaps. :thumbsup:

Working on the crew heater and rear engine bulkhead, more detail added. just plastic stock, lead wire and my good ol punch and die 

set. yet to add the pipe work to it. Not 100% but better than the kit parts alone. 

P1070039

P1070040

Missing latches on the engine bulkhead, they need to be added but the disks are just the bases for them. I'll have to solder up the T keys that lock the hatch in place yet. 

P1070041

drivers hatch... Doh ! I put the handle on the wrong side so its been ripped off and filled.

P1070042

P1070043

The swim vane has had the bottom bracket deepened, a bit more like the real thing.

P1070045

P1070046

P1070047

P1070048

Enjoy folks 

Dan 

• Like 8

Made a start on more interior details, this tie the M19 night scope and the stowage rack.

You get the rack in the Eduard PE set but no scope so I'll make one using the MR Modellbau set. 

P1070053

Eduard PE part folded up.

P1070049

The MR part, filled down so it fits the rack. not the easiest thing to photograph due to its size.

P1070052

More later 

Dan 

• Like 5

And almost finished with the scope ;)

Just building up the face guard with Mr Surfacer, once dry it will need a bit of clean up but it's not to bad.

The eye piece lens will get drilled out to give a bit more detail.

P1070058

P1070059

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

More lovely detail. What do you use to make the tiny discs of plastic? A punch of some sort?

One of the best bits of kit you'll ever buy as a modeller ;) Certainly a quality bit of kit, not cheap but the best available.

P1060439

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A tad more work on the engine compartment, I have no idea how the real deal works 

and how the levers for the steering unit are routed but this looks the most logical? 

P1070064

Still need to scratch the levers to the steering box yet. 

P1070065

And a few gubbins from the gear selector, again probably not accurate but there would be something in this location.

P1070062

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 3