Tamiya M113

Another small update chaps, 

Been working on the fuel tank, adding the plumbing connections to the tank.

P1060953

P1060954

Some sink marks that required filling 

P1060955

P1060963

P1060964

And the engine, this is the petrol version but I'll not be changing it, this kit was given to me a while ago, part started and the engine was already 

popped together. They must of used tube glue because it was everywhere, its been cleaned up the best that I can. Sink marks on the rocker covers have been filled and sanded back.

I've started texturing the exhaust rails with Mr Surfacer, more needed yet but it's best to build it up slowly. A bit more detail will be added to the block but mainly I'll use it to practise 

weathering and paint effects. it should be fun. 

P1060956

P1060957

Steering box, cleaned up and yet to be detailed.

P1060958

Started to collect a few ancillary items, better fuel and water cans for the back, a cam net and a few period ALICE packs, these came from Legends set for the Bradley.

I have some ration boxes, camp cots and few other items that will go in the back. 

P1060959

P1060960

I'm also going to have a blast at these, been kicking around in my stash for years and its about time I used them, woodland camo decals for the figures. They look a whole heap of fun! 

I like the fact that you get 3 slightly different shades, washed out and new. If these are to much then I'll be painting the woodland camo, I fear it could be like trying to become a micro tailor.  

P1060961

P1060962

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

And the engine, this is the petrol version but I'll not be changing it, this kit was given to me a while ago, part started and the engine was already 

popped together. They must of used tube glue because it was everywhere, its been cleaned up the best that I can. Sink marks on the rocker covers have been filled and sanded back.

I've started texturing the exhaust rails with Mr Surfacer, more needed yet but it's best to build it up slowly. A bit more detail will be added to the block but mainly I'll use it to practise 

weathering and paint effects. it should be fun. 

And that explains the standard of Dan's projects for the rest of us.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

3 slightly different shades,

Funny that you brought these out, I actually have some saved in my ebay account for a later date when I have money, at this rate, maybe 2039😁! I did buy some carbon fiber decals for my bike builds, although I will try a paint method I read on here first. If anyone is curious, the method is basically painting that part black first, then after dry, putting a ladies stocking over the part and spraying a dark silver. Then repeating with another black over the stocking. The results, and my method may be off, that's just from memory (which is less than perfect these days) are absolutely incredible. I am sure a quick search will bring up the method, this might even be useful for painting camouflage on figures as well, something that is worth testing anyway.

As always, you have a knack for putting just the right amount of detailing in exactly the right places.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Chaps,

So another small update, I soldered together the Radio and added some handles out of brass,

This will get a load more detail and wiring added, I have to scratch build the mounting tray and the few other bits 

yet.

P1060965

P1060967

Filled some holes in the back with plastic rod and Mr Surfacer, I have brass parts waiting to soldered up for the bits that belong there.

P1060969

P1060970

Started adding detail and bits to the inside of the drivers front plate, loads of ejector pins to be filled and sanded back.

P1060971

More Later folks 

Dan 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Lovely work as usual! Must be the meds wearing off you have slowed down a bit  😀

Naah ... The Mrs is back from a 5 day business trip :huh: things are going to slow for a bit :frantic:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cheers John,

I’m going to add the switches, connectors and harness leads at some point, the mount will need to be fabricated. I think that I need to scratch up a receiver that sits next to this one, the main radio TX/RX I think is a RT534 ? 

More later 

Dan 

• Like 2

Slow progress I'm afraid chaps,

But a bit more done on the tracks radio, a plastic bottom added as I want to include the mounts, all the cabling should 

tuck in underneath the radio. With the mounts its not possible. Added a couple of switches and drilled the holes for the antenna 

coax and the power and harness leads.

The mounts have a rubber shock absorber built in to stop the vehicle from shaking the radio apart. As this is a US Army track then the dime is apt ;) just to show the size 

P1060978

P1060977

P1060976

P1060972

The pack has been primed up and some of the ancillary parts cleaned up and ready, I might replace the belts with something more suitable yet.  

P1060979

Drivers floorplate, this has been shimmed up to fit better, the gas pedal  is yet to be fitted.

P1060980

More later.

Dan 

• Like 13

Cheers Guys,

Another micro update again I'm afraid.  So added some detail on the swim vane locking mech,

Made from PE Fret, wire and plastic card, the wire was used to make a spring that you cannot really see.

P1060981

P1060987

P1060989

P1060989

Not the best photo's sorry bout that :shrug:

Cheers for looking in and hopefully more later. 

Dan

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Made from PE Fret, wire and plastic card, the wire was used to make a spring that you cannot really see.

I can see it just  :hypnotised:

beefy

• Thanks 1

The level of detail is just a delight

Looking forwards to seeing the Camo decals.  I've used similar and they do work with a lot of decal setter and coaxing.

The trick is to fit in pieces and literally "tailor" them to the figure

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Chaps,

I’ve been working on the final drives and the steering box, loads of extra detail

to add but unfortunately the box itself is quite wrong in shape. I’m not going to correct this but just detail it up and make it look better. 

Pictures later.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Working on the Automotive parts, Power pack and steering box being detailed

up.

Lifting lugs added to the steering box from thin brass wire. Nothing yet is glued in place so if it's not square don't worry. 

P1060998

P1060997

P1060996

P1060995

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 9

External fire fighting handle soldered up.

Decided not to use the PE handle as its two dimensional so soldered up my own from brass rod.

The PE outer casing and the handle, just needs folding up and  soldering into place.

P1070004

And done 

P1070005

P1070006

P1070007

And the Dime, just for scale 

P1070010

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 9