Tamiya M113

Cheers chaps,

Slow progress I'm afraid, the small size of the parts really brings things to a crawl.

So the cradle is soldered up, 4 parts make this and it took a while. 

P1060926

Ammo box holder, the wire 0.2mm is for the ammo box lock. again soldered up, the lock has another 4 parts to add yet.

P1060928

Newer style NATO ammo box, this has again been soldered up, the lid need the hinges folding yet and the lid locking catch  adding to the end of the box. 

P1060930

P1060931

More later chaps 

Dan 

• Like 10

On 11/08/2019 at 23:20, Dads203 said:

No Gnomes were harmed in the making of this M113 ;)

It’s great to know! :happy:

On 12/08/2019 at 10:18, Stalker6Recon said:

Some of us (me) are still in the "paint by numbers" stage, others are Leonardo Da Vinci!

Same here. And when these numbers are not correct (or varying between the similar kits), it’s confusing me. But when I was the kid all these painting and weathering things came very naturally...

Excellent progress, so far! You’re fast but not rushing. :like:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dads203 said:

And the instructions.

With that amount of detail, are you able to turn the selection knob from semi automatic to full auto?? How about leaving the feed tray in the open position? Does it come with headspace and timing adjustments?

Of course I am joking, but the detail is pretty crazy, especially love that turned barrel, looks really nice!

On another teaching note, what power soldering iron do you normally use for PE, which solder size/type? The tin/resin type, or tin only? Forgive my ignorance, I know next to nothing about soldering, all my attempts to fix electronics has ended in a mess of blobs with too little wire encased to hold it, forcing me to start over, and over, and over again. But I can see how solder would make a nice bond on folded PE, closing all the seams via capillary action. At least that seems like a nice way to close up any seams. I have quite a bit of PE that will need folding and sealing in the future, need to learn all I can about it before I get myself into trouble.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1

Cheers chaps,

No, I’m not the man himself ;) 

Soldering, I use nothing more than Carrs solder paint and a micro blowtorch.

The key is keeping the joints clean so I use a fibreglass pencil to give everything a good clean up. I’ve melted a few PE parts in the past so I’m not perfect at this, there are far better out there than me but I’ve developed a technique that works for me.

I also clean up the soldered parts after soldering by dipping it in white vinegar, this removes any of the flux left over, any blobs of solder I remove with the fibreglass pencil.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

No, I’m not the man himself ;) 

I forgot... that's me! :cwl:

I'll have to remember the white vinegar tip next time I'm soldering :) Does it help to have chips handy?  Also, do you find those fibreglass pencils are the invention of :devil: cos they like to get embedded in your skin afterwards? :owww:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

I forgot... that's me! :cwl:

I'll have to remember the white vinegar tip next time I'm soldering :) Does it help to have chips handy?  Also, do you find those fibreglass pencils are the invention of :devil: cos they like to get embedded in your skin afterwards? :owww:

Those fibreglass pencils are evil indeed, i’m Always picking shards out of my fingers after using them. The vinegar works well in cleaning up any soldered jobs, it cleans them right up. 

23 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I don’t know you get nothing for ages and then he goes at it like Billy Basher some of us can’t read that fast you know :shocked:

beefy 

Steroids in his meds but he denies it! 😀

Edited by ivan-o
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mike said:

embedded in your skin afterwards? :owww:

You should talk to any old school fiber optic technicians (like me) about embedded fibers under the skin. Back in my time, before the latest quick connects (which takes no skill at all), we had to use what's called a break-out kit. Exposing bare fiber, we inserted the fiber thru the connection and glued it in place. Then we hand cleaved the 62.5 micron glass, and removed the excess. Guys had different ways to dispose of the bare glass fiber, I used a piece of looped tape to hold my expended glass, but it was by no means perfect. Without a doubt, one or two pieces would jump off the tape and go to places unknown. Only later, you would find that piece of glass, which is thinner than a human hair, and sharper as well, embedded where the sun never shines!

Needless to say, this was annoying to say the least, sometimes it would take months for it to work itself back to the surface, and be removed while showing. In the time between, you could often feel their presence every time you sat down, some of the fiber is still in there, being continuously pushed back in, years later. It's been almost twenty years since I last polished fiber optic cables, and I think it is all gone, thankfully.

Sorry about the off topic tirade, just memory pouring back in😁. As for the soldering, I think I need to watch some videos, the torch seems a bit beyond my skill level, and even as a firefighter, I would probably still burn the house down😳!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Guys,  you know tonight I'm having one of those nights, everything I touch goes wrong.

It took 2 hours to get the hinge pin in the ammo box bracket, I then dropped the barrel collet on the floor, had issues with CA glue not sticking 

so I'm probably going to have a big glass of red and leave with my very small progress pictures.  It's not a lot so don't get excited.

The ammo box of death … that's two hours of frustration to get one bloody pin in,( I really am a sad old git)  it need tidying up yet but I'm not going to push my luck.

It's been parked for the night. I know the pins need trimming down yet :confused:

Rob --- You're a Doctor, please tell me that this isn't normal behaviour ? 

P1060940

P1060941

P1060935

P1060934

On to the .50 

P1060936

P1060937

P1060938

P1060939

Lots of fit issues with the Aber set, relief being etched on the wrong side, wrong instructions, tolerance's to tight or sloppy etc, I won't go on but I almost binned this 

and used the Tasca plastic version....  

Dan 

• Like 6

Hey Dan, while everything looks gorgeous, I think I see a problem. I don't remember ever seeing a notch in the barrel of any M2 I ever used. It looks like the barrel should be pushed down further into the receiver, or what should be part of the receiver, but has been made separately to provide better details.

I may be wrong, but I bet dollars to donuts, that the barrel was supposed to be installed by feeding the entire barrel thru the cooling ring, and the notch would lock it without the need for glue.

Beyond that, it all looks really nice, especially that ammo can. It may have taken a long time, and been frustrating as hell, but the results justify the effort.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys,  

The barrel notch is for a handle that’s part of the RBM barrel set, I’ve not yet added it and I think it’s for an early version possibly Vietnam era?  Hopefully there was still a few of the old barrels kicking around during the 80’s and 90’s.

Regards

Dan 

13 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers Guys,  you know tonight I'm having one of those nights, everything I touch goes wrong.

It took 2 hours to get the hinge pin in the ammo box bracket, I then dropped the barrel collet on the floor, had issues with CA glue not sticking 

so I'm probably going to have a big glass of red and leave with my very small progress pictures.  It's not a lot so don't get excited.

The ammo box of death … that's two hours of frustration to get one bloody pin in,( I really am a sad old git)  it need tidying up yet but I'm not going to push my luck.

It's been parked for the night. I know the pins need trimming down yet :confused:

Rob --- You're a Doctor, please tell me that this isn't normal behaviour ? 

Dan 

A clear case of Advanced AMS - the prognosis is at best guarded (Anthony has clearly added to the poor patient's advanced burden)  :frantic:

I fear there is little to do but let nature run and take it's course.

I recommend limited sleep and a stiff Gin &  tonic

Now - Carry on Old man!!

Rob le Toubib

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers chaps,

Only a small update today, should allow you all to catch up.

So the rear fuel tank, I wasn't going to alter it but I changed my mind, it just looked too long. I cut 5mm off one end 

and re joined it, much better but not 100% accurate. 

Academy kit part before surgery 

P1060882

And now, I might take some off the other end of the tank yet, I'll see when I test fit it into the interior.  I need to squeeze in the radio shelf  to the interior yet so more might need to taken off 

to get it looking right on the inside. 

P1060947

More detailing to be added yet such as fuel lines and stop cocks to the tank itself.

More details added to the drivers firewall 

P1060949

.50 cal cupola mount reduced by 2mm, it looked to high up on the mount to me?

Still have quite a few parts yet to add to the cradle and gun, I'm just taking a break from micro PE folding and frustration at the moment. 

P1060950

P1060951

P1060952

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Everything is looking great, but the M2, man, that is a work of art! Setting the bar very high for the rest of us, vertically challenged builder 😁.

Cheers,

Anthony

I think Anthony said it right.

Love the etch micro-chain

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1