Tamiya M113

The next project, an old kit but I intend to bring up to date 

with a bit effort.

P1060819

And a few bits to help 

P1060818

Built this as a kid over 35years ago and I quite fancy a trip down memory lane, Cold war era in a MERDC scheme, I have a few more AM bits for it 

not shown here but you'll see them as the build progresses. 

Stay tuned 

Dan 

• Like 8

Just now, Richard E said:

OK - save me a seat on the front row: I've got one of these sitting on the "shelf of doom" which might benefit from some motivation.

I shall do my best Richard ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll take a seat for one of your master classes Dan.

I'm planning to use the same kit to make the Canadian version as held by Bovington Tank Museum so will be interested to see what you do with this.

Roger 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right... lets post on the right thread :o bloody meds

So some of the ref and AM I'm going to use on this build.

Essential reading first up 

P1060820

A few more bits I'll throw into the build 

P1060821

These are worth a mention, they are fantastic, the Archer dry decals, they are very complete

P1060823

Stay tuned 

Dan 

• Like 4

So lets get started, so the Tamiya kit is a old one but still decent, it had a few issues though,

its the petrol version and not the later derv engine that was found during the era that I want to model.

Will I change the pack.... hell no, it wont get seen so i'll paint and detail a little. A few things in view will need

changing. The fuel tank for one but the majority is still good. I have a fuel tank from the more accurate Academy kit that I'll

use for my build.  So some pictures.

Stock figures with Hornet heads and boots from a couple of unknown soldiers, they will get a more detail on there combats yet.

Still not bad for a pair that are just as old as myself.  

P1060830

P1060829

Rear battery box, modified to represent the later version.

P1060828

P1060827

And some of the interior Drivers seat and Commanders seat detailed up with handles etc 

P1060826

More later 

Dan 

• Like 4

Cheers guys, its has been while :hmmm:

So a bit more work on the front decks, some improvements made to the old Tamiya kit, Eduard PE and some basic scratch building.

P1060838

Exhaust drilled out and the first baffle added, vertical one yet to add. Yet to add Mr Surfacer to the exterior roughly to represent a bit of rust. 

P1060841

P1060839

P1060840

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 14

Cheers Guys,

So track bash time, Modelkasten tracks in my opinion are one of the best around, hard to find 

but they are superb. The kit tracks on the Tamiya kit are one of the let downs but its a product of its time,

so we are going to replace them with the MK item.  I bought these years ago from the UK but as far as I know they have no 

UK distribution which is shame, some times you can get them on Amazon for a decent price or just pop over to Japan with an empty suitcase

and fill your boots :o 

The track links 

P1060842

Separate track pads which is good if you want to show a few thrown pads, just drill out where the bolt runs through the track link and jobs a good un.

P1060843

Sprockets that fit the tracks, these Japanese think of everything !

P1060844

Ooooh … track pins, lots of em ! 

P1060845

And the instructions, notice you get adapters for different kits 

P1060846

These are really nice and require little clean up and go together very quickly.

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

I am ready with a notebook :book:

always great to see you back building :popcorn:

beefy 

Cheers Beefy, 

It's been a while since I dabbled with a bit of armour, this one is really a nostalgic kind of build for me, I was given the kit and paints as 

a 12 year old for my birthday, it was a good day and I have loved the kit since.  This time I'm going to throw everything at it.

Regards

Dan  

• Like 2

And as if by magic … they are done. Pads are left off, they will get added after the tracks are painted and weathered up.

Nice sag so i'll be leaving off the side skirts on this build.

P1060851

P1060850

P1060849

More later 

Dan 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

P1060851

All caught up, and I remember this ride, not good for your dental work I can tell you that much. Shake your fillings loose in a matter of minutes. Loved the ride of the M2A3 Bradley, the difference between driving a Yugo (showing my age) and a 2019 Rolls-Royce!

You only started this kit a few days ago, at best, and I can't get past the cockpit of my first build😩. Oh well, at least I am learning.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys. 

Working the upper decks, small details being added like the crew heater exhaust and bilge pump outlet.

Added the correct antenna base for the radio.  Rear hatch has had the locking mech moved to the correct position and the ejector pins removed. 

Drivers cushion added around the hatch. 

P1060855

P1060865

P1060867

P1060868

P1060869

P1060866

Front deck gets some action, swim vane locking handle added along with a couple of spare MK track links. 

P1060860

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 7

Cheers Chap :thumbsup:

So moving onto the commanders cupola and the .50 mount, some small details added from Eduard and scratch.

Chain added to the gun mount pin. 

P1060873

P1060872

P1060871

P1060870

Carpet crawler holes filled, I'll add the belly plugs later 

P1060874

P1060875

More later 

Dan 

• Like 8

Fuel tank time, as I mentioned earlier the Tamiya kit represents a very early track fitted with a petrol

engine, so in essence in combat you are riding around in a big aluminium box with a few hundred litres of highly flammable 

petrol and other things that don't like to be too hot in the rear troop compartment...… Not really an ideal situation for the average mechanised infantryman at all, especially when the bad guys 

start slinging RPG's and other tank killing rounds in your general direction. 

So they converted all the M113's to run on derv, much better idea and it gave the tracks a slightly but tiny bit better chance of survival, not much but an improvement.

Health and safety on civi street would have a field day writing a risk assessment for the modern battlefield, god bless them! 

So the main difference that is visible is the fuel tank.

On the right is the kit part and the left is the Academy part, the Academy part is much better in shape but looks slightly too long, I'm not going to chop it up 

but I'll use it as is. I must thank one our members for this part. He knows who he is :thumbsup:

P1060882

Academy part, correct for the version I’m building. 

P1060880

Tamiya Part 

P1060879

More internal detailing going on 

P1060876

Removed the triangular fillets in the rear troop compartment 

P1060878

Filled in the big hole around the final drives. this is from the old motorisation days

P1060877

More to follow 

• Like 8