Junkers ju 88 Post war

TOPGUN88

I have read that the ju88 was used post war by the Finnish  and the French after the war. Does anyone know where I could find photos of post war  ju88 as the net doesn't come up with much results. Also did the Spanish use them post war? 

Hey Top,

Just bing or google 'french ju-88' and among the first images are A and E models of Marine Nationale of Support Squadron 10 in what looks to be a dark blue like most of their import naval aircraft were until the defeat in SE Asia, or thereabouts.  Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, TOPGUN88 said:

I have read that the ju88 was used post war by the Finnish  and the French after the war. Does anyone know where I could find photos of post war  ju88 as the net doesn't come up with much results. Also did the Spanish use them post war? 

Googling 'Spanish Ju 88' pulled up lots of color profiles for me, but no pictures of the actual aircraft.  Same for Finnish Ju 88s, no Post War examples (not even any color profiles), but several war time ones.  Avia Editions published this book, Junkers 88 et 188.  The text is in French, but there are lots of pictures.

You beat me to it, but my copy is buried and temporarily unobtainable.  I'd just add my recommendation of it, plus a qualification that even the Aeronavale aircraft appear to have been painted in the common post-war khaki rather than any blue.  Which is rather a shame, from a modelling point of view.

• Like 1

The Ilmavoimat was limited in what aircraft it could operate postwar, specifically no aircraft with internal bomb bays, those limitations came into effect in 1947.

As a result the Ju88 service between the resumption of operations in August 1945 and retirement of the last of the Ju88 fleet due to treaty limitations was very brief, and would be in wartime markings (the roundel came in with the treaty in 1947 as well)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

The Ilmavoimat was limited in what aircraft it could operate postwar, specifically no aircraft with internal bomb bays, those limitations came into effect in 1947.

As a result the Ju88 service between the resumption of operations in August 1945 and retirement of the last of the Ju88 fleet due to treaty limitations was very brief, and would be in wartime markings (the roundel came in with the treaty in 1947 as well)

Hello all,

the roundel was introduced in May 1945. At least some bf-109 G-6s flew with roundels on fuselage sides and war time blue swastikas on wings! Yellow east front markings were removed immediately after armistice in 1944. As Adam says the Paris Peace Treaty limited the number of combat aircraft to 60 and aircraft with internal bomb bays were prohibited. Finnish Air Force was interested in to purchase the EE Canberra and the Soviet embassy in Helsinki reacted immediately with loud "no-nos". However the Soviets sold us four Il-28s soon afterwards with internal bomb bays and a train full of bombs and there was no problem at all in their minds🤣

One of my books have photos of post war JU-88s with over painted east front markings and roundels. At that time the aircraft carried so called "War Paint" (Sotamaalaus) of olive green and black. Undersides were painted with RLM 65 or it's Finnish equivalent.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 2

Here the question of Finnish markings was discussed (look below especially to post #8 by @AaCee26  

it was said there that order for change blue swastkia into roundels was given on 13th March 1945 with deadline for introducing new insignias for 1st April, so a month earlier. It could be important difference  to some poeple since it is for sure before the end of WWII in Europe .

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info gents. I see that the book Junkers 88 et 188 has on the front cover a missile under the wing. 

Can anyone help with the type of missile and the paint scheme for that particular aircraft. Also are there anymore photos in the book of this aircraft and the French navy ju188? 

6 hours ago, Des said:

Judging by the timeline for the JU-88 being in French service more likely the earlier AA.20 AAM.

Forgot about that one! Well, they do look rather similar. 😎

Cheers,

Andre

On 8/10/2019 at 3:10 AM, Antti_K said:

the roundel was introduced in May 1945. At least some bf-109 G-6s flew with roundels on fuselage sides and war time blue swastikas on wings!

Hi Antti,

I think it was opposite way: At least one Bf-109G-6 had so weathered fuselage roundel that the swasitka had re-appeared. There was discussion about this in a FInnish forum some time/year(?) ago. Of course if you have eveidence about th other way it would be interesting to see!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Hi AaCee,

I remember that discussion as well. I understood that planes were flown with roundels painted only on fuselage sides at the time (and I thought it would have been impossible due to political situation in Finland back then). Someone then posted a photo (or a couple of them) to show that bf-109s were indeed flown with mixed nationality markings.

Cheers,

Antti

On 8/15/2019 at 11:08 PM, Des said:

Judging by the timeline for the JU-88 being in French service more likely the earlier AA.20 AAM.

Sorry lads, it's an AA-10.  Under test at the Arsenal de l'Aeronautique from 1952.  From the book mentioned above.

It also includes colour profiles of an Aeronavale Ju.188 in the postwar green, 10.S.12.  Also another unmarked Ju.188 painted similarly .  Plus lots of Ju.88s, including a torpedo-bomber 10.S.8 is a slightly darker green - artistic licence?  The photos in the book include Ju.188s with Hs.293 and FX1400, if you fancy a bit of variety.  But sadly no blue ones.

Have the book on order and due this week along with the other three parts of a four-part series in Le Fana , part I have already has artwork of 188 10.S.10 in overall green along with a yellow/sand over grey 88 but was hoping that bleu or even bleue might get a mention somewhere.

Edited by Des

On 8/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, Antti_K said:

Hi AaCee,

I remember that discussion as well. I understood that planes were flown with roundels painted only on fuselage sides at the time (and I thought it would have been impossible due to political situation in Finland back then). Someone then posted a photo (or a couple of them) to show that bf-109s were indeed flown with mixed nationality markings.

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Antti,

Discussion and model based on it is here: https://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_13423/

I found only one photo of the aircraft in this kind of livery, for example page 308 of book "Mersu" by Koala-kustannus and Kari Stenman. It is from right side of the aircraft showing sideview of the plane and wing roundels are not visible. It looks like the roundel colours have just been lost.

Unfotuntaly I didn't find this image in the net.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo
  • Like 1