British Nuffield Assault Tank A.T.3

Vels

Hi everyone,

I just started this Nuffield tank in 72 scale and want to share my first post in Britmodeller. There are many first things here for me: my first full resin kit, my first paper tank and my first OKB Grigorov kit. The Nuffield tank is so ugly that I like it very much. The kit is easy to assemble and I was amazed to find that the resin is not crispy, yet very good quality, and I haven't broken anything from the small parts (for now). If you have any information about the Nuffield tanks or just want to share some advice with the newbie in Britmodeller, please comment. Here are some pictures:

IMG-3259.jpg  IMG-3260.jpg  IMG-3261.jpg  IMG-3263.jpg  IMG-3265.jpg

Some dry fitting of the suspension

IMG-3266.jpg   IMG-3267.jpg  IMG-3268.jpg

Edited by Vels
  • Like 1

@Vels Hi Vels,

this is an interesting build! I have never heard of this tank, so I am no help at all. I have two OKB Grigorov kits in my stash but haven't got around to build them so I will follow your build with interest if you don't mind.

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick. Which OKB Grigorov's kits you have and what is your opinion about them. I'm asking you this, because I'm very pleased with the quality of the Nuffield tank and I want to purchase another OKB Grigorov's kit, I just don't know which is as good as this one.

I joined two tracks, it is a real pleasure how easy it is to work with this kit. Can you spot he joint? IMG-3269.jpg

I put together  the parts that hold the wheels and cheked how it will look with wheels: IMG-3273.jpg  IMG-3274.jpg

Edited by Vels

@Vels Hi Vels, I have the AT-T and the GT-S. They look great, I think the resin is of high quality and the parts are very crisply moulded. I can't tell you more, because I never have build a resin kit up till now and so there is no experience at all. I surely will build them someday, but I think I need some more time to feel experienced enough for such kits.

Btw, good progress with your build.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Thanks 1

Thanks , Nick. I like the AT-T and GT-S, maybe later I'll purchase one of them and build it. I also never have built a full resin kit, but here we go, I'm doing it now :)

A little bit of a progress with the Nuffield: 

IMG-3276.jpg    I glued together the wheels and the parts that hold them 

IMG-3277.jpg    Most of the sides will not be visible, so I didn't bother filling any gaps or beautify it.   

• Like 1

This is where I went with the Nuffield. Everything which could be glued was glued, now I have to mask the tracks, paint and weather accordingly the beast.

IMG-3296.jpg

IMG-3298.jpg

IMG-3310.jpg

IMG-3311.jpg

IMG-3312.jpg

IMG-3313.jpg

IMG-3314.jpg

IMG-3315.jpg

IMG-3317.jpg

IMG-3318.jpg

IMG-3320.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

:D It was based only on paper, Bullbasket, as no prototype was ever built, but you are right. I absolutely got the camouflage from Malta's Matildas, taking the frivolity to change the color of the strypes from brownish to dark green.

• Thanks 1

Hi Nick, thanks for the camo remarks. Actually I made it for 5 minutes :D with permanent marker and it was fun. On one of the side I even made it twice as when I started spaying it with Future the marker paint reacted with it and blurred and leaked the marker paint (well, it is not so permanent... obviously 😆 ), so I had to paint this side again with Beige and then paint the camo with the marker. Now the right side is with different camo from the pictures above :D I will make some pictures and post them tomorrow

• Like 1

A little bit weathering with the Nuffield. I'm not sure if it has never existed in reality, should I weather it like just coming back from battle in Malta, or leave it like in the museum.

IMG-3370.jpg

IMG-3371.jpg

IMG-3372.jpg

IMG-3373.jpg

IMG-3374.jpg

IMG-3375.jpg

IMG-3376.jpg

IMG-3377.jpg

IMG-3378.jpg

IMG-3379.jpg

IMG-3380.jpg

IMG-3381.jpg

IMG-3382.jpg

IMG-3383.jpg

IMG-3384.jpg

IMG-3385.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I consider it finished. I liked the build all the way, even if I had a big wonder how the british would maintain such complicated tracks system if something has to be repaired. Anyway... please enjoy the finished model: 

IMG-4051.jpg

IMG-4052.jpg

IMG-4053.jpg

IMG-4054.jpg

IMG-4055.jpg

IMG-4056.jpg

IMG-4057.jpg

IMG-4058.jpg

IMG-4059.jpg

IMG-4060.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg

IMG-4062.jpg

IMG-4063.jpg

IMG-4064.jpg

IMG-4065.jpg

IMG-4066.jpg

IMG-4067.jpg

IMG-4068.jpg

IMG-4069.jpg

IMG-4070.jpg

IMG-4071.jpg

IMG-4072.jpg

IMG-4073.jpg

IMG-4074.jpg

IMG-4075.jpg

IMG-4076.jpg

• Like 2

This vehicle was one of 18 design concepts (AT-1 to AT-18) submitted by Nuffield for a heavy assault tank.   You can see that it has some design cues from the Cromwell and Excelsior as well as the AT-16 design, better known as the A39 Tortoise, which was eventually selected.

It is a Paper Panzer and never progressed beyond the drawing board.  I believe it may have been given virtual life in World of Tanks, which may be where OKB got the idea from.  But it certainly never existed.

• Like 1